Alliance Destroying Azeroth Example

Is there a quest or scenario where the Alliance was making Azeroth worse and the Horde was trying to fix it?

For a hypothetical example, the Mechagnomes are developing something that hurts the environment and the Tauren tried to stop them.

Looking for areas that put the Horde in a good light and the Alliance not as much.

The only example you’ll likely find are those dwarves digging up the Barrens or Mulgore and the tauren opposing them.

Outside of that I honestly cant think of any particular place or reason the Alliance would be purposefully making a place worse unless they also happen to live there, in which case the Horde wouldn’t be close enough for it to matter.

9 Likes

Alliance technology is almost certainly not environmentally friendly. The night elves attacked the humans for chopping down wood, but it wasn’t the humans’ fault that they did not have access to Wisps who would siphon wood from trees without hurting them somehow.

10 Likes

Not so much just that they were chopping down wood, but because they were outsiders and were working with the Orcs, whom had just killed Cenarius. And Cenarius was opposed to the Orcs as soon as they step foot in Ashenvale because he could still sense the demonic curse on them, and assumed they were Legion agents.

9 Likes

At this point, its all but likely night elves do not have the ability to instantly gather wood with wisp/said ability is now probably gone due to sacrificing Nodrassil.

Proof? The Wolfheart book actually talks about Tyrande giving logging rights to the Alliance in exchange for support.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, however it’s entirely possible that Knaak was just not aware of wisps ability to do that. I would not put Knaak high up on the list of people who understand Warcraft canon, despite writing books for it.

2 Likes

You have draenei, in Ashenvale, literally chopping wood/talking about not wanting to chop the old wood trees of Ashenvale and have you get the wood from Satyrs/Horde.

And it’s also possible the quest designers for those quests forgot that too. It’s never definitively been stated that Wisps no longer have that ability, just that it is an assumption because of a Knaak fanfiction book, and fetch quests.

Again, not saying you’re wrong. Just that it wouldn’t be the first time things have just been overlooked. We’ve never seen any Night elf lumberjacks as far as I’m aware, and you’d think Night elves would have to start up a lumber industry if that was the case.

4 Likes

We are accustomed to wisps carrying out our labors. Please bring food to keep us sustained.

At the least this proves that wisp labor has limits.

Here’s what I think the issue is: the wisps being able to create infinite lumber thing was an interesting mechanic in WC3, that’s why they added it. It wasn’t super imba because you were still bottlenecked by gold, and Night elf buildings required a bunch of lumber. From a gameplay perspective, it was fine.

However, from the perspective of writing a fictional world, it makes it very difficult to write anything related to logistics. Because wisps can shape wood and grow trees remarkably fast and at no cost, it would essentially mean infinite wood for everybody. And naturally the Night elves would use this power to leverage over other people, but we’ve only seen conflict over logging rights. There wouldn’t be any necessity for logging at all if wisps can just make trees and shape wood, and that cuts out a very huge portion of conflict between the Alliance and Horde, because it would mean that quite a lot of resource scarcity would be cut out too.

In fact that’s already a problem because apparently druids can grow pumpkins to utterly massive sizes, so it is not a baseless assumption of druids being able to do that generally. So there should be no food shortages ever, anywhere, and a large portion of Garrosh’s motivations for doing anything don’t make any sense.

15 Likes

Archbishop Benedictus was actively serving the Alliance and Deathwing simultaniously. There’s a connection between the Church of the Light and the Twilight’s Hammer.

Kel’thuzad and Arthas are other examples of Alliance characters who threatened the world with extinction and global domination. The Cult of the Damned had living humans as agents who infiltrated the Alliance.

1 Like

Aren’t the latter two both from Lordaeron, which is firmly Horde by now?

As noted earlier in the thread, the dwarven tendency to do “archeology” on anything that isn’t currently twitching probably applies. And night elves definitely terraform biomes around them to guide everything towards deep enchanted sparkly forest… but since most of where they do that is previously degraded land, your milage may vary.

When these characters were current and this plot was current they were Alliance.

The Dark Iron Dwarves don’t exactly have the cleanest reputation or lore.

3 Likes

True, though I’m not sure any of those are examples of what the OP was asking for: an environmental disaster that the Alliance caused that the Horde came along and cleaned up.

And putting Arthas on the current Alliance (when he actually had more ties to current Horde) doesn’t really fall into that catagory.

Though come to think of it, you could probably count the outbreak of emerald nightmare in the Barrens. I KNEW there was something about night elves terraforming. Naralex and company.

2 Likes

Wasn’t that cenarion circle though.

Anywho the only one i can think of was the cutting down of lumber by daelins forces in Durotar which caused rexxar to kill the thunder lizards to stop them rampaging. I mean the horde didn’t nesscarily “fix” the issue but the did stop the issue getting worse.

Though one could argue they also weren’t members of the alliance at the time as well.

2 Likes

However, I don’t think Arthas and Kel’thuzad are applicable to a discussion of the Alliance having examples of bad apples. Because by the time of the Scourge campaign, Arthas killed his father and abdicated the throne, and Kel’thuzad had left the Alliance for the Scourge before the events of WC3 at all. Sure, the same Alliance that included the Alliance of Lordaeron is the current one that is playable but you could say the same about Forsaken also having been part of the Alliance at one point. Their shared history makes it very difficult if you want to lay Arthas solely at the feet of the Alliance, because Forsaken supposedly lay claim to that history too.

I think it’s just easier to say that for the purposes of this discussion, which would involve an explicit Alliance version of Garrosh, Arthas and Kel’thuzad don’t count. Dark Irons and Benedictus I think would probably count for this, moreso Benedictus than the DID because the DID summoned Ragnaros and became his slaves before joining the Alliance. But Benedictus is an example of a character that was Alliance, and used Alliance assets to nefarious ends even if it was at the behest of the Twilight’s Hammer and not the Alliance itself. Fandral too.

5 Likes

Not really, no.

The Alliance usually cleans up its own messes (such as when the Draenei crash-landed and the parts from the Exodar caused some major pollution and fallout affecting the local environment). As others have said, the closest thing you’re looking for would be the Dwarves excavating in the Barrens or Mulgore, but these activities don’t exactly make Azeroth worse, so much as they’re a mark of disrespect towards native species (namely the Tauren).

Chronicle says that it was the Horde that sent a mission into the Wailing Caverns.

Other than the dwarf shenaningans that’s already been pointed out in this thread, and the wailing caverns (including larger Fandral shenanigans) I can’t really come up with any from the top of my head.

They “violated the earth” to such a point that it enraged the local elements, driving them into violence. And the Tauren had to clean it up. I’d say that screwing over the local inhabitants and the elements in the area classifies.

The Cenarion Circle may not be Alliance officially but they have much larger overlap with Nightelves than Tauren.

Not really. In every zone where Circle participates you will see a healthy mix of Tauren/Night elven NPC in the circle.