[Alliance] Jan Story Contest [deadline tomorrow 11p]

URGENT INFO - This event has been extended to cover January as well, as many are doing holiday stuff and (since I am not big on holidays IRL, I didn’t really think about travel/vacation/holidays)
Prompt: 1) story of brews. could be anything involving alcohol. a barfight, a tavern you enjoy, a trip to a brewery, learning how to make brews, meeting a brewmaster, as long as it involves brew

Rules for Entry

• Alliance Only contest ED only

• 1 Submission per person

• All submissions must be in by 25th of January 10PM CST

• Must be typed either in a NEW forum post, or google doc (viewable but editable by only you)

• Link must be posted either on this thread, or the Emerald Dream Alliance discord in the writing contest section of creative corner. If you cannot post on forums, or have issues, contact Aglaica#9792 via discord, Lavick#11735 in btag to help figure out a way to submit

• there is no minimal word count, nor points off for bad grammar/spelling, though please do not submit a giant wall of text without trying to make it easier on the eyes.

Winners will be announced on February 5th along with the new prompt for February

PRIZES SUBJECT TO CHANGE EACH MONTH AS THIS RUNS ON DONATIONS FROM VARIOUS PLAYERS/GUILDS

Prizes

1. 30,000g
  2. 15,000g
    Prizes go up as donations come in, split between 1st and second and small portion towards consolation prize.

Possible consolation prizes depending on donations

judges Acialga, , unknown

December-January Sponsors - Coldridge Company, The Ashen Vale 2> <Sponsor 3>

1 Like

Collective list of links of Entries will go here

Eastloc’s entry
Submission for the Alliance ED Dec-Jan Story Contest. "Drustbar Memory"

Weekly bump of the contest.

Oooh a brew themed contest! This should be popular!

1 Like

not as popular as one would hope
:beers:

Still seeking entries

:slight_smile:

Hi all. Here is a link to my submission on the forums.

1 Like

Thank ya will update post later with your entry

:beers: 8 days left

4 days left to get your story in

deadline tomorrow 11p (25th)

One hour till story submission deadline. 11p cst. (After this episode of rupauls drag race )

Here’s my contribution.

The brewhouse was warm and inviting, wrapping the pair of figures descending the stairs in it’s velvety embrace. And the smells! Like fresh oatmeal, topped off with the fragrant, floral, piney scent of hops. The duo stopped at the bottom of the stone steps and took the room in.

“Oh wow !” exclaimed the tall, elegant elf. She was flanked by her stout and stocky dwarf friend. “It’s marvelous!”

“Ya want th’ official tour?”

“Yes, please!”

Baast Duskwing went into tour guide mode. She explained all of the brewing vessels in succession—the mash tun, the lauter tun, the brew kettle, the whirlpool. She paused afterwards and let her friend, Aeriara Lightsong, continue to take everything in. Baast stared into the fire that burned beneath the vessels, then closed her eyes. This brewery was full of memories, like benevolent ghosts hanging about, waiting to be recalled. She thought of the first time she helped her dad brew. She must have been about 20 or so? It seemed like a lifetime ago.

“Ya ready, lass?”

“Aye, papa.”

“Open th’ valve!” She threw all her weight into turning the wheel valve. The pipes hissed, an ethereal chorus that sang out over the sound of the roaring fire.

“Well-done, lass! Now, standby. I’ll tell ya when ta turn it off.” The young dwarf beamed back at her father. He smiled proudly and started prepping the grain to be ground. This dance continued for hours. Her papa directing, doing most of the work but delegating enough to Baast that she felt busy but never overwhelmed. She was lost in the process but also completely lucid. She committed the dance steps to memory, paying close attention to the timing of each step and the little nuances that were oh so important.

“How long does it take?” asked Aeriara, pulling Baast out of her reverie.

“Brewin’ takes a few hours, four or five. Then it goes t’ th’ fermenters an’ tha’s where th’ magic happens. I put yeast in it, like makin’ bread, an’ in a couple weeks we have beer!”

“I never knew how it worked before.”

Those were the exact words she told her father when they finished that first brew. He chuckled and tousled her hair.

“Well now ya do. Think ya c’n r’member enough ta do yer own brew, Bunny?”

“Uhhhh…” Baast’s face went ashen, her jaw hanging open like a broken cabinet door, eyes wide. Her papa just laughed and threw the tree trunk that was his arm around her shoulder.

“Dunnae fret, lass. Yer gonna have t’ do this a lo’ b’fore ya feel confident enough t’ brew on y’r own. Jus’ keep watchin’ an’ learnin’. Ask questions. Be curious. Take it all in.”

Baast looked to her friend and smiled. Aeriara’s eyes were still as full of awe as when they had first come down the stairs. Just like her eyes so many years ago. Those faraway eyes made this all worth it. The years of hard work, frustration, ugly crying in the corner when she had to dump an entire batch, and the triumphs. She looked around the room and sighed, smiling.

“C’mon, Aeri. Let’s fill some kegs.”

2 Likes

Closed

Will try to read both tomorrow and get yalls sent prizes

2 Likes