All my friends have quit

We started as a facebook group linking up friends and friends of friends together. We were about 40 strong, and when the game was launched we formed a guild. 2 months later everyone except myself and another have quit. Some said they’d come back once BGs were out, but most just left.

This isn’t really a complaint thread, it’s just more of an observation. I suspected many people would quit but I’m kinda bummed since we were supposed to raid together. I guess classic isn’t really for everyone and that some people came back just for the nostalgia trip.

I’m still having a blast, and I’ll play regardless if my IRL friends are here or not. The game is inherently fun for me but it’s just kinda a bummer to see your guild activity peter out slowly until you’re constantly the only one on. I’ll probably look for a raiding guild soon since I’m almost 60, but it is what it is.

Anyone else experience something similar to this? How’d you deal with it?

13 Likes

Move on and make new friends.

12 Likes

Nope, none of mine have quit so far.

11 Likes

I only started playing with 2 people, but they quit as well. One of them I figured wouldn’t make it to 30, he surprised me and made it to 32 before he quit. The other I expected to actually play, but he bailed the moment AA Unchained release date was announced. I figure I’ll have to make new friends, which is something I’m not too great at these days, but I’m determined to start raiding and enjoy this content since no other MMO can seem to be even remotely worth the time.

8 Likes

I don’t have friends.

Works out pretty good.

44 Likes

I played on my own. This is one of the reasons I roll PVE too. No friends? No problem. No one can bother you on PVE realms.

11 Likes

This is the plan now tbh, I’ve played solo before and can do it again.

1 Like

ROFL same. My guilds been up and down, but overall my server is packed to the brim with people. I still get queues from 5pm to about 9pm. Still finding groups from Deadmines to Uldaman in 10 minutes or less.

Nope. Joined a guild. Plenty to play with.

3 Likes

Find a guild that fits your play philosophy. Merge your guilds if you have to. Grouped with an awesome tank? Friend him and invite him next time you need a tank. Talk to people, goof around with people, keep talking to those people.

That’s how most of us made the friends we’ve played with over the years so why not do it again? Of course we want to play with the friends we already have so we’re kind of closing ourselves off from making friends the way we did before.

Honestly, my guild is going through this. I even rolled on a pve server to play with them. Unfortunately, the nostalgia has worn off for most so I decided to do what I wanted to do in the first place: roll on a pvp server with my husband. We just plan on finding a guild that fits our style and hopefully making some new friends along the way.

Also, start a Blizzard Group with your current friends so that if some of them DO come back, y’all can at least have a chat together. My friends and I actually did this with a chat channel back in vanilla/bc when our guild fell apart and split ways and I still talk to some of those people because we kept in touch that way.

1 Like

Lol you’re right honestly the energy of finding a new play group is what was kinda making me bummed out but that’s life isn’t it?

I’m actually in a discord with the few friends who play other games so we still keep in touch and I imagine they’ll probably come back once the game has more PvP content. I’m also definitely looking for a guild that fits in line with what I want.

1 Like

None of my friends have quit, but I strongly suspect this is because we’re friends and not that they like classic. If they were successful in convincing me to play FFXIV then none of us would be playing I feel.

I’m not sure if it’s a good or a bad thing that I can’t stand most of what FFXIV is. Also I get the feeling that once we’re capped, they’ll probably stop playing and go back to retail or FFXIV. Which is fine. You cant force people to play a game they dont enjoy, but Im gonna keep hanging out here.

6 Likes

Yeah I think we get caught up in the expectations of what we want it to be like because we have that past experience and so finding a new guild is a bit overwhelming. And yeah, it’s a serious bummer. I wanted so badly to play with the people that I enjoyed vanilla with. They either stopped playing or are scattered on different servers, so it kind of sucks. But all I can do is try to find a guild that maybe has people I don’t hate. lol Hope you find one too! <3

2 Likes

started with 5 others. Two quit because of faction imbalance. Two quit because of Blizzard’s pathetic, sniveling cowardice wrt the China/HK situation. The one remaining that is “still playing” has been level 35 for like two weeks.

I picked up one other IRL friend though. We were initially on different realms, he’s re-rolling onto my realm because the one other IRL friend he was playing with … has quit.

1 Like

Same thing happened to me during real Vanilla. I was literally the only person out of my entire group of friends who continued playing after like 3 months.

1 Like

I have a friend who rolled on another server because his main gaming group didn’t want to wait for queue times to settle down on my server (Incendius). They all quit except for him so now he’s stuck. Hoping for paid transfers so he can come to my server, he regrets not rolling here. If not I may just roll an alt on his server.

1 Like

Ugh that sucks! Hopefully they’ll open transfers soon. =\

2 Likes

the same thing happened to me, with Incendius specifically. I moved to Kirtonos to follow my group, and Kirtonos has terrible faction imbalance now because all of the most cowardly Alliance players transferred off when Kirtonos was a free transfer source.

1 Like

It’s hard to pre-make a guild unless everyone already is on the same page with life, schedules, etc. I was in a FB group with my guild from TBC but they all wanted to play Horde while I wanted to try Alliance (since I was Horde in vanilla) so we had to go separate ways.

Just find new people in the game who fit your play style today.

1 Like

I think this kinda misunderstands that a lot of adults play games with their colleagues (or other people they know IRL) specifically for social capital. That is: playing games together is a way of improving social ties. It’s the same reason people play golf.

edit: also these are not people that didn’t know what they were getting into, I work in the games industry. Three of the people I started with got to 60 in Vanilla.