All Gear in a Vendor

I just checked Bellular interview and well…i don’t think deterministic loot is an option in Devs mind

• Revival Catalyst exact timing is TBD, but probably in the same window. They know many players felt it was a bit too late and it may be something that they will continue to look at. However, the Revival Catalyst is meant to be a fall-back method to help with bad RNG, but they know once the Revival Catalyst unlocks, it becomes the Primary method of acquisition of set pieces. It’s nice to have deterministic loot, but there still is that excitement in that first month of getting that Tier piece.

I consider Shadowlands Season 4 like a big win due to the Dinar system and usually pvp gear path is just play the game and pick your gear options, PvE could have RNG from drops and a side determinisitc path in order to reach different builds and experiment with items without doing a specific boss too many times which cause burn out in some players (Also fixing the whole weekly vault with repeated items and 0 progress due to more RNG).

1 Like

Sounds like an FFXIV type solution: design out all out your gameplay to avoid conflict.

Now that you’ve no other commitments you’re freed up for people in Limsa to hit on your featureless cat girl.

1 Like

Uh, eqsqueeze me?

2 Likes

I hate the RNG. I hate wanting an item and week after week it never drops and you’re saved to the boss. Personally I would love a set system. Kill X bosses, get an item of my choosing.

1 Like

This would make the game so incredibly boring. One of the best parts of the game is gearing and getting lucky with BIS items.

Give us a vendor and let us earn currency.
Rng gearing is not “satisfying” like Ion thinks.
BEL made a good point in that interview. If you are keeping a loot lottery for that moment of excitement and happiness, you also have to look at the other side of that coin where you get nothing. It’s dreary.
The bad feeling that comes from no loot due to rng far outweighs the good feeling from getting a drop, much less a drop you want/need.
They’ve said before that maybe they need to look at loot systems that make people say “finally, I never have to do that again” when they get loot. That is gearing in a nutshell.
One example; 70+ dungeon runs without a trinket drop in a group of players set to a loot spec capable of getting 1 particular trinket. If it ever drops for the guildy that wants it, we will all be saying “good, we never have to go back there”
That is crappy design, period.

1 Like

Yes, the gear treadmill is a major part of pve gameplay.

People would probably be happy it’s gone, but then a week or 2 later they’d probably complain there’s nothing to do in the game and then there would be a huge subscriber dip since you just got rid of the games biggest retention system.

1 Like

If they sold it at the lowest level but required currency that we have to grind out to upgrade it by doing the content would likely work

3 Likes

people can argue all they want but crap rng loot systems don’t work in 2023 why you think no one plays wow anymore. you already waste enough time doing whatever but everyone knows people have gear addiction and not getting something for so long cause rng is straight crap. ion’s words of its makes it more meaningful was the biggest load of crap that came out of his mouth lol. there constant wanting you to waste more time getting loot don’t work how did that loot nerf with rng included work out in shadowlands at the start.

1 Like

That’ll show that the game doesn’t provide good gameplay besides a treadmill, running M+ and killing bosses in higher difficulties should be the driving force to keep players in the game, if acquiring gear earlier (Devs can also add a vendor and set a ridiculous price) shows that the game has a bad foundation then the gameplay should be improved.

It would be terrible

That’s a point of view that I notice here for some players, if I got all the gear, then I’ll try a set of trinkets for fortified week, other for tyranical (Or even specific builds of gear for specific bosses/dungeons) and then push higher keys that before.

how does that show the gameplay isn’t good?

it just means there’s nothing tangible to work towards except epeen.

You can work in reaching KSH or X score and killing the bosses in Heroic/Mythic depending on your current gameplay style, also I’m saying all items in vendors but you need to consider that the price and the currency frequency could do that just buying 1 piece takes 2-3 weeks, it’s not like you’re going full BIS week 1, Devs can play with the gear acquisition frequency but there’s a deterministic way besides running the same instance X amount of times.

1 Like

ok

but why?

I enjoy wows gameplay, but after I clear a boss once, what reason do I have to do it again?

players like rewards. I can’t think of many games without a reward/progression system that keeps players coming back every week. Solid gameplay or not.

It shows that players only cared about gear and not the experience, look at games like Overwatch, Fornite, League of legends…etc you don’t keep a build for the next match, each match its just an activity, that’s similar to the M+ system now with short periods of gameplay in a small group, the only difference is that you’re looking for progress until there’s a BIS status then if you want to progress further you’ve to run higher keys.

I never said you’ve to kill it only once, you still need crest to upgrade the items, maybe progress the next difficulty once your items can’t be upgraded more, also as I mentioned before you need to consider the gear acquisition frequency with a vendor/currency added to the game, compared to the vault that helps but sometimes doesn’t provide an item that you need.

No I don’t think so, and if it did, I wouldn’t care.

Remember that last part of Shadowlands where you could get those tokens and buy stuff from the vendor? I think they gave you only 2 or 3 tokens so you had to be choosy, but I thought that was GREAT.

Reminded me of all the gear vendors from Wrath. I like being able to choose and being less dependent on RNG.

2 Likes

Exactly like Shadowlands S4, it could be a side bad luck mechanic and Devs can even play with gear acquisition frequency depending on the amount of currency provided, instead of the Vault that’s another layer of RNG

PVP is a whole other beast. PVP doesn’t rely on the same motivators as PVE at all.

2 Likes

Those are all PvP games, which, PvP has very deterministic gearing as well.

Shopping list gearing makes me think these people love playing D&D where they always only get gold from everything then they go into town and buy their items from a magical vendor.