Alex Afrasiabi seems to have quietly left Blizzard in June 2020

He did say that he was writing Sylvanas for the game since the beginning so… He is definitely behind Sylvanas’s characterization in BfA!

Danuser of course wants Sylvanas to be a dramatic character and not a Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain!

Even if Blizzard kills Sylvanas off Danuser will do his best to make her as dramatic as possible! He seems to love drama judging from his interviews!

1 Like

If he was sacked over feedback from BFA then it is good news. It means Blizz is taking CDev slightly more seriously.

8 Likes

Stonetalon, whose only great moment was an incredibly out of character moment for Garrosh and was a boring and doomed effort on the Alliance side? Silverpine, which was the only advancement of the Worgen story outside of the starting zone in Cataclysm yet was locked to being Horde only? Are those the zones we are referring to?

12 Likes

Did anyone do the Alliance side of Stonetalon? That stuff was really weird.

The night elves suddenly had a modern paramilitary force and were using infra-red goggles and automatic guns to kill Horde paratroopers. Cata in general had a lot of that. Suddenly everyone’s modern military and using modern America military lingo.

2 Likes

Yes Alliance questing in Cata is really off the mark, memey, off-theme, and generally bad.

Look at the man in question’s writing credentials and you get a taste for why things have been so bad with him in the driver’s seat. No experience doing anything outside of WoW.

3 Likes

He was far from alone. I remember it being the show that everyone who had an interest in the fantasy genre was talking about. With good reason, there’s not a history of any really good serious dramatic fantasy on television. Much as I loved Xena, it had a habit of alternating between serious themes and Batman 66 camp.

1 Like

The problem is that they took the wrong lessons from it, trying to emulate it with a fraction of the competence. Then you have their love of season 8…

2 Likes

The season received 32 nominations at the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards, the most for a single season of television in history.[1] It won twelve, including Outstanding Drama Series and Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for Peter Dinklage.

Not everyone feels the way you do about it. I get the impression that most sour opinions about it revolve around what happened to their favorite characters.

Using an award that is entirely industry veterans is a slightly weird way of making a point about broad appeal.

People watching Game of Thrones are the ones who already went through the Red Wedding, I don’t think they are salty about people they like dying.

5 Likes

The main reason Game of Thrones Season 8 was panned was due to the lack of realistic outcomes.

The Red Wedding, the Purple Wedding, the Beheading of Ned Stark and others all had far reaching consequences and happened realistically!

The show’s final season was too much like stereotypical Fantasy than the rest of Game of Thrones which was all political intrigue done logically! Star Trek Deep Space Nine was good at it too!

8 Likes

Film/Show awards are most often a case of people or publishers in their own little worlds patting themselves on the back. The Grammy’s for example are a joke.

5 Likes

I mean I don’t take them seriously either because a lot of people still have the idea of “Sci fi” stuff being for nerds only and most of the stuff nominated are overrated or got nominated/won cause of connections.

Still I think we shouldn’t undersell when people push a series to get nominated like Mandalorian and speaking of which. I truly hope we get a moment like that in warcraft again to revitalize the franchise. Mando literally gave a brez to star wars

Award nominations are often given not necessarily for the specific film or TV season but for the overall quality of the series from the beginning. For example, Return of the King won Best Picture, but most people seem to agree that Fellowship of the Ring was a stronger movie.

3 Likes

This didn’t age well lol

35 Likes

spits out orange juice So they definitely knew what was up. Tried to scrub it away. Wow.

33 Likes

We waited and we saw.

29 Likes

Knew he was a hack. Turned out to be a creepy sex pest as well. This IP will carry his stain on it.

15 Likes

It’s unavoidable. Everything in the current lore and setting derives from Alex. Everything is tainted.

7 Likes

Steve Danuser is the biggest mistake in World of Warcraft.

WoW indeed.

1 Like