Alcohol and Demon Hunters

Okay so I want to make a premise on Demon Hunters and drinking because it’s generally not agreed upon between: Demon Hunters cannot get intoxicated and Demon Hunters can get intoxicated because they’re not considered dead.

May I make a suggestion that could be interesting and be something generally agreed upon?

I’ve seen a post like this before through a quick google search and I thought one of these theories was great and maybe could even be fleshed out more.

Think of it this way, were a Demon Hunter drink alcohol they run the risk of losing control of their bounded Demon and essentially could be x10 worse than your average mean drunk. Now the question would be: Is it harder or easier for Demon Hunters get drunk?

Sorry if this is a short post on a simple topic but I’d like to hear thoughts from the community!

I would personally say that without any specific showing from the lore itself (other than the fact that having a demonic soul vested within you is a highly volatile situation to begin with), there isn’t any firm answer that can be absolutely given one way or the other. As far as taking this question into consideration through the course of roleplay, I would feel that most people are free to interpret it as they might wish or imagine.

In my own interpretations, I tend to view alcohol as possibly having varying effects depending on the nature of the demon that was bound, the degree of control that the Illidari displays over its influences, and their intentions in drinking to begin with.

There might be a circumstance where an Illidari drinks regularly to dull themselves, so to speak, or otherwise put their mind at ease when it might be subject to the whispers and inclinations of the demon within. Conversely, there might be a time where an Illidari drinks carelessly and recklessly, perhaps due to some inciting incident that leaves them emotionally vulnerable. This, I expect, would be where that demon might seize upon more influence and thus make it more of a dangerous action to indulge in.

As for their resistance to alcohol, the Illidari are indeed infused with a great many things, not the least of which being the essence of chaos magic itself. One might imagine that this makes it much more difficult to get themselves drunk; or, perhaps that latent imbalance makes it even easier. Again, as before, there are no precise answers and I feel that people should feel free to take it as they wish.

In either case, I find it a somewhat interesting topic when you really delve into it. My own character here is something of a private alcoholic, and I often show her exhibiting her own habits as something of a dampening mechanism against some of her more demonic tendencies and intrusive thoughts. After all, when you share the soul of a being that has doubtless been a force of potent destruction for millennia, there are bound to be some pesky reminiscences that linger on at times. What better to dilute such glowering thoughts than a regular habitual sip from the canteen?

4 Likes

Ash is a lightweight and killed a pony with her fel vomit.

I have no idea if this is “lore breaking” because there is no lore on DH’s and alcohol and an argument over it seems trite!

I don’t know whether it would be harder than usual for a demon hunter to get drunk. But I believe an argument could be made that they flush alcohol out of their system faster than would be standard. Perhaps a demon hunter can drink quite a bit at a steady pace, however would still be plastered if they downed a large quantity of alcohol all at once.

1 Like

Damn. Taking ‘projectile vomit’ to a literal meaning. Here I thought demon hunters were a melee class, not ranged.

With any character it all boils down to how you can personally feel best at describing it. I’d personally go as far to suggest that a small sect within the Illidari had their own private distillery, given typical elven highbrow tastes in spirits and liquor, but twisted just enough to ensure that anyone who does happen to run off with their own private stock of tainted wine or whiskey would have one mother of a heartburn.

I haven’t seen anything indicating it would be harder for a Demon Hunter to get drunk, so I wouldn’t think as much. Wardom’s argument seems to make sense, though.

As for losing control, alcohol has different influences on people. But it’d probably be a bad idea for them to test it, yeah.

1 Like

I am in agreement that they can get drunk (they have living bodies) and probably metabolize the alcohol faster. I personal would play it that it’s dangerous for them to get drunk because loosened inhibitions means they’re more likely to act on the demon’s dark desires.

1 Like

So apparently there’s no insta quote option and I hate these new forums. Marionos - sure, why not? DH’s were doing their thing, murdering demons, blah blah blah. WHY NOT MAKE OUR OWN BOOZE?!

I mean we get drunk because of the blood sugar content that alcohol gives us - it’s highly concentrated. That’s why you will rarely see a Type 1 drink , although there’s plenty of Type 2’s who don’t give a crap and drink anyway. I’ve never seen anyone play a diabetic in WoW (who would want to? Not a fun disease and Azeroth doesn’t have the tech to create insulin). So that ethanol conversion is going -somewhere- . Each Demon Hunter has its own unique flare or mutations, so maybe some are able to hold their liquor and others aren’t. Since DH’s are pretty much an unstoppable force, I felt my char needed to have something “weak” so why not alcohol? Sure, she can roffle stomp a group of demons, toss a Gnome off a cliff with Illidan’s Grasp, and soar off Dalaran and onto the shores of Asuna… but beer? Nope. Yet her best friend, who’s an Illidari, can outdrink anyone.

So you know, go with what feels right for your char, whoever you are reading this. There’s no wrong or right way.

The problem is too is that because people aren’t sure they will impose either DH can’t drink or DH can IC-wise. This causes a bit of OOC conflict that can disrupt the flow of RP, which is why I kinda made the post in the first place to at least make a lot if not some people more aware of this.

Just high light what you want to quote then there’s an option that pops up that says quote, it’s actually really intuitive.

1 Like

This sort of thing is what we call “superfluous.” It’s not going to really matter one way or the other as far as char development. If someone wants their DH to be a lightweight or an alcoholic and feels that it affects them in an A B or C manner, what harm is that to your RP? Setting up “rules” like this only creates divides within the community, especially when you consider a good portion doesn’t read the forums. The single greatest cause of the decline in RP is people who shove their noses into the clouds instead of just rolling with the moment. I didn’t know Ash was a lightweight until she "killed’ Sorkin’s pony (hint, it’s just a brewfest pony keg but she was too hammered to realise it was a magical device of sorts and now it’s a running joke with her and her friends).

You know what matters? Having fun and enjoying the people you’re around. If their DH is a closet alcoholic that can drink anyone under the table- Go for it. The DH mutations have different effects and alcohol consumption can be just as varied.

1 Like

This is what I was getting at, though it’s more so that some people believe that DH are DKs and that’s just not true, I’m fine with rolling with whatever flow but if you’re dictating IC about DH anatomy then we have a problem

DH’s might have super human qualities but they aren’t infallible. <-- quote from another DH I play with regularly.

Then ignore them and go about your day. What are you going to do? Bust through their ego and tell them how to RP xD

No but I can complain dammit and that’s what the forums are for! Lmao

1 Like

sits quietly I will listen! shakes fist Darn those hooligans and their silly alcoholic ways!

Demon Hunters can get drunk in-game, so in my headcanon they can get drunk.

Stereotypical response but my Demon Hunter drinks to forget.

Im actually curious, why drink alcohol when demon blood is a million times better?

Find it not pleasing because when I went to Ironforge during brew fest I find alcohol throat burning and leaves an after taste. Therefore my choice would be Demon Blood since it’s better than Dwarven Alcoholic Drinks with out the aftertaste.