Agent is hijacking my bandwidth... AGAIN

:stuck_out_tongue: quote=“Jeolene, post:1, topic:1817017, username:Jeolene-scarlet-crusade”]
it has completely hijacked my bandwidth.
[/quote]

I blame plunderbuss…:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the app? is its intended job to stop folks from being able to access and play the game easily?

You can open Bnet and set it to close when launching the game. If the Agent is still running, it’s there to verify your license to the game. Beyond that, it shouldn’t be performing any data-heavy tasks. I’ve closely monitored my network traffic and I do not see any evidence of the Agent going rogue and eating through my bandwidth.

2 Likes

WoW never uses more than 0.8 Mbps for actual gameplay, what are you guys even talking about?

1 Like

Maybe the content you’re playing doesn’t, but we’re discussing the system requirements posted by Blizzard.

1 Like

No content in WoW requires more than 1Mbps for the single player.
World content tops at 5 KBps, and raids never go over 100KBps, which are all under 1MBps.

Maybe an open world event with a huge amount of players might need more bandwidth but then again WoW’s own servers can’t handle the load.

Source: I use NetLimiter and log WoW’s traffic + any search on the subject.

It would be nice if you guys, and Blizzard themselves, stopped spreading this misinformation about what the actual bandwidth requirements for playing the game are.

Latency notwithstanding, even a 2.5G mobile connection or ancient DSL connections would suffice for actual gameplay.

1 Like

I guess they made up the requirements for fun.

Maybe for RPing or old-world 5-man content, but not for raiding. Some newer DSL lines are fine, but not something clocking the same speeds and reliability as 2.5G.

1 Like

Check your own bandwidth usage and see if it’s made up.

Like I said, “latency notwithstanding”, 2.5G has enough bandwidth to support average WoW gameplay.

For raiding etc. you’d need 3G at least. 4G for enough stability. 5G is overkill.

Yes, Blizzard is grossly overestimating how much bandwidth WoW consumes if they’re stating you need more than 1 Mbps for gameplay.

The high requirements should be related to the download/install experience, not gameplay.

I’d have to double check it by trying it in a raid, but I’m pretty sure the advanced combat logging will make WoW use a metric ton more bandwidth than normal. If you have it enabled, disable it. As for the game requirements themselves, it requires a broadband connection. 10mbps is not considered broadband anymore and hasn’t been for a while now(it was 25mbps and was just raised to 100mbps). So with a 10mbps connection, you likely only have 1mbps upload, if that, and that can definitely affect gameplay if you choke that out.

EDIT: oh and packet loss… if you’re playing with a cellphone connection, packet loss will make the game look like it’s using more bandwidth, due to resending packets.

2 Likes

I will be posting it later, but I’m sure you’re both very wrong.

It’s been discussed already on these very forums:

Those are from 3 and 5 years ago… and one of them is talking about Classic WoW, which uses significantly less data.

1 Like

Well I’m not going to get into it with a stonewaller, but no, I don’t think we are… And as Elocin said, those are about classic, which uses less bandwidth due to the network expectations from 10-20 years ago.

Again, any form of telemetry you’re gathering is just going to show the aggregate. So if you’re dropping packets or have some bad tinfoil hat firewall settings, resends will be counted in that bandwidth you’re supposedly seeing. Also, traffic to a router != traffic to a game server(your phone being the “router” if you’re playing on a hotspot).

1 Like

Nothing in the game engine related to communication has drastically changed since Classic. It’s a known fact for everyone (other than a few of you I guess) that WoW never uses more than 200 KBps for anything gameplay-related, and I’ve never seen it personally get over 125KBps (1 MBps) in any situation when monitoring.

If anything, 40-man raids in classic might use more data (in raiding) than whatever we have now, barring epic BGs.

Like I said, I’ll post later with actual data from my gameplay (World, BGs, Raiding).

I know data will be skewed upwards due to potential packet loss, so that only further helps my point…

Finally, I’m majored in Comp. Sci, specialized in Network Security and work as Network Admin/Engineer for a living, so these credentials should help my assessment a bit.

Have some more posts about current WoW, since you’re both deflecting assuming Classic was that much slimmer:

Curiously enough, through my research, I’ve already seen how a few of you treat actual network admins so… I’ll just let this rest:

Schooling/work credentials mean nothing in an online forum since you can say whatever to try to make your point carry more weight. But it is a big assumption that others don’t have as much (or more) experience than you in a specific field.

The tail end of your reply is just trolling, and not useful to OP’s thread.

2 Likes

From that other topic in my previous post, I know at least you and the other MVP can’t read a simple MTR for advanced troubleshooting, so there’s no point in discussing further. Call it trolling if you must.

At least I now realize why Blizzard has a high bandwidth requirement after reading between the lines in blue posts related to the matter: noob-proofing, since they don’t want to deal with people asking about what’s needed for playing versus updating, both the game and the agent/etc.

Finally, to remain on-topic, just finish the Battle.net process and maybe the agent too while in game and the bandwidth should be fine.

And to the rest of you, know that a stable 2 Mbps connection with sub 150ms latency is all you need to play Dragonflight smoothly.

P.S.: I really appreciate you both (MvPs) trying to be helpful, likely for free, but the misinformation here is truly worrisome.

Have a good night.

1 Like

one of the reason for requiring a real broadband connection . You are only guaranteed 60 percent of your advertised rate to your ISP’s network. which means so 6 up an .6 down. Depending on the networks you are going through and the distance you will loose more bandwidth along the way.

On a mythic pull with with a full group, Chatty addons and logging iy

On a mythic pull with with a full group, Chatty addons and logging it uses a lot more then . 8 it also spikes on a pull higher then .8 on a large raid pull

1 Like

Until Blizz fixes it just turn off Battle.net app when wow starts in settings. Or shut it down with task manager. You arent the only one having this issue.

1 Like

This issue (For those that play wow classic anyway possibly retail as well) can be found under options > Game settings > BETA tab. It keeps updating anywhere from every 5 minutes to every hour downloading anywhere from 1 MB to several GB. It will always use your maximum possible download speed.

This happens to those who have nothing to do with BETA
You cannot stop it.
You cannot throttle it
Reinstalling your launcher does not help
It’s an endless download loop
Blizzard is aware of it and has done nothing thus far that I can see to fix this issue.

The only way to stop the issue as of now is set your launcher to close when launching a game. If for whatever reason blizzard disables the option to do so, they’ll effectively destroy a huge portion of their playerbase and their ability to even play

There is a solution and I’ve already outlined it in other threads where people have issues with updates taking forever, but it also covers issues with the bnet app as well:

Broken folder permissions can cause this and if you didn’t directly hit no to any of the admin permission elevation popups, then it’s likely your security software or some overly strict settings.

1 Like

just bypass the launcher and use WoW.exe ( in the retail folder) and use the launcher went and if there is an update to the game(s)