Aftermarket UI needed or nah?

As the title stats, Is something like elvui needed? Does it improve overall gameplay (I.e. Dps, hps etc)? I’ve played with the stock and with elvui and dont see a difference in numbers. Am I just that dumb? Thanks in advance.

Addons can’t change your stats., dps etc.
They could change the numbers displayed but you’d only be fooling yourself.

The quicker you can gather information and the more intuitively that information is presented, the faster you can react to it. A great deal of money goes into real world HUDs because of this.

https://www.davi.ws/avionics/TheAvionicsHandbook_Cap_4.pdf

It doesn’t matter that that’s a real-world application for it. The issues are the same.

Information efficiency is probably the most important aspect of any potential improvement in DPS/HPS you would (or could) get from ElvUI (or other UI addon).

I use a Tartarus game pad and a Swiftpoint Z mouse and I arrange the buttons that contain my tactical abilities to resemble the key layouts on both devices. That allows me to map procs and cooldown counters on the screen to the physical universe controls to which they apply very easily.

I supplement ElvUI with WeakAuras to bring other information into my working field of vision during tactical situations as well.

Between the two I’ve moved from “Gee, this is a fun game” to being moderately competitive in rated arena (for instance)./

While I have played with experienced players that didn’t use addons, many do.

I’m between Fizz and Ehiztari. Don’t use addons unless you need them. They aren’t made ot supported by Blizz, they do break, and there’s no guarantee that they will work especially after Blizz releases a patch. However, the default UI does a poor job displaying relevant info in combat in a way that allows you to keep your eyes on the action.

My suggestion is play the game until you find a UI-issue that annoys you and then look for an addon that fixes it. If you find that you’ve installed a lot of individual addons then consider a big ui replacement like ElvUI

If you play the game, you use addons. Period.

The game itself is a core module and something like 85 addons.

They load and run exactly the same way that user-created addons load and run, but with a higher priority and some special privileges.

:slight_smile:

I get a kick out of the “I never use addons” crowd.

Virtually NO experienced players don’t have even DBM or Bigwigs installed.

Not saying there aren’t any, but one of those two is pretty much required if you’re going to do anything but hunt herbs for sale.

From the context “addons” clearly means “Third party addons”

1 Like

Oh, I know and I know you know that, but I get the “I won’t use addons” line from a lot of people.

It’s akin to people who complain that mankind is interfering with nature as if we’re not part of nature ourselves.

:slight_smile:

Reasons I use elvui.

Big adjustable nameplates that are blatantly obvious by class color and puts a + symbol in front of healers, and a shield symbol in front of tanks. Priceless in bgs. Pretty damn good in arena when you can adjust cast bar size and fonts. Also nice when you learn how to sort the proper buffs/debuffs above nameplates as well.

I like the aura bar.

I also like having my combo point bar anywhere.

That’s about the only reasons I use it.

I use omnibar, gladius, as well and thats about it.