After Xelnath and Warlocks

Lets be honest, ever since Xelnath redesigned warlocks and got fired it seems like warlocks have been on an never ending spiral.

27 Likes

Partially true though Iā€™m really enjoying demo so far. Best iteration yet.

5 Likes

I wish we could have Xelnath back as dev in wow, right now we dont have any of the devs playing warlocks, we are the stinky class at the moment.

14 Likes

give mage a try.

2 Likes

The sad thing is that the devs could have taken Xelnathā€™s approach to class design and applied it to all the other classes in order to bring all of them up to the height he managed to bring Warlocks. Unfortunately, that did not happen and his dream was torn apart instead.

15 Likes

Itā€™s just class design in general that has been on a decline since mop.

14 Likes

MoP class design was the best thing that wow ever had, especially for warlock. Blizzard really destroyed something special. I donā€™t know what they were thinking when they removed the best (by a wide margin) version of demonology.

16 Likes

Wouldnā€™t say wide margin. BFAā€™s demo is not too far behind.

But yes, MoP was peak Warlock imo. Peak demo for sure.

We lost something major in losing the Meta/Fury gameplay. It seems Blizz is slowly bringing it back with the reintroduction of Molten Core/Demonic Core, and the short CD of Tyrant and the interplay of Decon.

I would like to see it go a step further though. More control, and more emphasis on building a big summon/button that gives us something to spend our resources on other than HoG.

2 Likes

I could kill 2 geared Warriors at max level while only being level 88 by knocking them off the cliff when they double teamed me-with carrion swarm, I could leap across gaps in clever ways, I could potion and healthstone separately, I could baseline port, I could slam chaos waves into enemies while heading for cover, I could finish off low health mobs with fel flame, I could speak in demonic to other demons. Thatā€™s just demonology. Affliction and destruction were just as fun.

It isnā€™t the PvE rotation that makes a class interesting. People are happy to cast frostbolt in a raid and do mechanics because itā€™s chill and you get gear. Itā€™s outside the rigid structure of raiding that your class shines. I canā€™t log in daily to a class with a nifty PvE rotation. I want my class to have strengths outside of raids. MoP had good rotations, good PvP interactions, and incredible class fantasy - not because Warlocks were OP either. I loved my monk, hunter, mage, rogue, and druid as well. 6 out of the 11 playable classes were a joy to play for me personally.

5 Likes

Xelnath helped design the best lock specs. Everything fun since has always felt accidental and generally got steadily nerfed and then removed

E.g. Early WoD Demo

7 Likes

Not to mention the wimpy, outdated demons we control. Would love to see more options there. Level 120 and still use imps and felpups. Lol.

7 Likes

There just isnā€™t any class fantasy with locks any more. Gutted and left behind. To be fair I feel this way with many of the other classes too.

1 Like

I literally - and posted during alpha/beta - have an essay on warlock pet issues alone.

Our problem is not only cosmetic, but functionality as well.

Just to name a few issues that impacted our numbers:
1, Felhunter and Succubus absolutely lacks mobility skill/spell, hence making target swapping a problem - and to compound the issue, every hunter pet now has dash, which of course makes us look totally obsolete.
2, Channeling mechanic on Seduction which literally puts our pet out of combat for the entire duration. Thatā€™s a chunk of dps being lost in the name of ā€˜utilityā€™.
3, I call this the utility sanction - as in ā€˜for every utility we choose to bring, thereā€™s a penalty that comes with itā€™. Do we need to elaborate even more on the interrupt and the lack-there-of?

And then thereā€™s also the not-game-breaking, but definitely-annoying issues:
1, Imp is now a one trick pony as they removed Cauterize and forget to put something else as replacement. Sure, not game breaking - but neither does having Cauterize in the first place. Why was it removed?
2, Voidwalker completely lacks a single attack skill/spell. Game breaking? No. But definitely an annoyance when we donā€™t want to pull the entire area.
3, Felguard not having a taunt skill. Also not game-breaking, but look: if Demonology is ā€˜supposeā€™ to stick to Felguard like a glue, why not make their life easier? Would be a great help for solo/questing, right?

And thatā€™s just a snippet. Not even brought up the cosmetic related issues.

7 Likes

Iā€™m still advocating for letting us have old meta back as a darksoul animation. And Iā€™m also advocating for enslave demon to be overhauled

8 Likes

I really enjoyed Legion Demo with Infernal+Demonwrath and Shadowflame generating Shards on the move with Hand of Gulā€™dan putting Doom on targets struck.

The spec really just needed Demonic Empowerment to not have to be recast for every Demon summoned and instant Call Dreadstalkers without the use of a PVP talent and it would have been solid. Even with these glaring imperfections, this was by far my favorite version of Demo.

As far as Iā€™m concerned every one of our dem9ns need a big revamp. Imp is ok for damage but seriously a little entry level imp carries you all the way to endgame? Why not something more intimidating and exciting? Theres already quite a few other demon models that are much more suited for a so called powerful warlock who has helped save Azeroth numerous times.

And yeah i suppose if we still have to stick with the same Felguard we had 14 years ago at least let it taunt.

1 Like

I really donā€™t see why we canā€™t have the ability to enslave new demons as a perma pet much like tame with hunters. How hard could that possibly be to implement?

3 Likes

See, that was your first mistake, assuming they listen to any feedback in alpha/beta.

Previous expansions before wod, the alpha and betas were really good (alpha more so than beta when the masses were let in).

But since Wod they ignore everything, letting game breaking bugs and design flaws go live despite being flagged in alpha early and often.

I mean, the entire azerite system was absolutely condemned as soon as alpha was available universally by testers, with many testers explaining that ā€œregrind to re-earn traits you already had just because you got an ilvl upgrade is terribleā€ - yet it went live with no changes until a later patch where they ā€œdiscoveredā€ the system was not fun.

5 Likes

I think that would be an opinion. I personally think MoP Demo was much more fun.

8 Likes

You would have to be teleported to the demon plane to hunt them down. OOOhhhh could be fun but WNH in this gameā€¦ they can barely manage to eek out an unfinished product.