AFKing out to spin w/l rates

It’s not about me. Not sure why I’m getting advice on how I should behave. It’s about the afk epidemic. We can preach they need to have “more stamina” all day but they are still afking a lot.

You’re the type of man the Alliance needs most. Fix that ISP though. :wink:

1 Like

I’m speaking generally, Jadei, not at you. We have an epidemic of quitters. We have an epidemic of quitters for personally motivated reasons.

1. My time is more valuable than other players on the teams time (selfish).
  2. I don’t wanna work I want it handed to me (lazy).
  3. I want to be carried by others not bust my butt for a win (doesn’t get team dynamics).
  4. It’s not fun to have close games or lose (BGing for the wrong reasons).
  5. But, but, but, MY CONQUEST (self-centered and lazy).

It’s a matter of personality and backbone imo. Some people will fight till the end, some will throw their hands up in the air and skulk away.

2 Likes

The single reason most every active deserter gives is : time constraints

And yet, these same people have the time to level/gear up a multitude of alts where in they just switch toons to constantly avoid afk debuffs…

say what ???

People create alts for a variety of reasons, such as trying out different classes or simply because they got bored of their main. People leveling alts “strictly” to run random bgs are probably in the minority.

Most of the time when I have to ragequit from a baddie group/losing bg/one-sided slaughter I don’t even queue up for another bg on my alts. Usually I’ll just hop on an alt to do some World Quests until my deserter expires, it’s a great time to get caught up on emissaries.

15 minutes is more than enough time to knock out a quick emissary chest on an alt. By the time I get done my main’s deserter debuff has already expired and I just re-queue.

2 Likes

Except the system did reward staying for years. You or I may pvp because we love to pvp but obviously that’s not keeping a lot of players in games they’ve deemed a loss. Like I said earlier, it’s an all or nothing system and I believe that plays a part in how many afkers we see now.

Whether we agree they should or not, some players want something for their time and they just aren’t getting that with honor no longer being a spendable currency. You win, you get conquest. You lose, you get nothing (prestige if that matters) so they leave.

If we want to reduce the amount of players who afk, telling them why they should stay or have more stamina is probably not going to work.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it has to do with the rewards system. Many (understandably) think there is no worthwhile reward to remain in what they believe will be a losing BG.

4 Likes

Great point. Some people say, “They just switch to an alt and face no consequence!” And I’m like, “Wut. No, I usually wait out my 15 minute consequence while the bads I left ‘enjoy’ their 30+ minutes of no-fun for nada. lol”

2 Likes

Call it selfish, but my time is more valuable than, say, yours if I think you are playing badly.

Tell me why I should stay in a game with strangers who are not playing objectives.

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve been trying to point out, unsuccessfully, apparently. But if you go back to expansions that offered a tangible reward (honor as currency) even for a loss, I don’t recall seeing so many afkers. If you’re losing, your group starts afking. If you’re winning , the other side does.

I don’t understand how lecturing or imposing a harsher deserter penalty will motivate these players to finish what they started.

2 Likes

Eh I feel wod was pretty one sided games but I also didn’t do many randoms, probably less than I do now. Mostly though I was busy with av runs that xpac.

^ This is a good point, we don’t “owe” total strangers anything

Total strangers are certainly not entitled to my time if it becomes apparent I’m “carrying” them or if I’m like the only person “trying” :roll_eyes:

Baddies gonna baddie, best to let them suffer the consequences of their bad play rather than wasting any more of my time on an OBVIOUS loss :thinking:

2 Likes

I find it somewhat irritating when people AFK out of EPIC BGs within the first 5 minutes, but I don’t really complain about it or say something needs to be done about it like increase the penalty, etc. Backfilling into in-progress, usually losing games is much more aggravating, but I always have the choice to AFK out of those too, or suck it up and consider it a ‘flip-side’ of my own decisions to sometimes AFK.

1 Like

You mean Bobos? lol
ive fought that guy for 30 minutes on my rogue before, he doesn’t quit, except when you know he afk’s out of the game.

ive seen you leave a temple of kotmogu < 1 minute into the game because you went 0 for 1 real quick lol. rage quit

2 Likes

I miss Bobos! He made me laugh. I’ve seen him leave epic BGs, but TBH I couldn’t really blame him… (alliance side, lul)

1 Like

Possibly or maybe my computer froze or my router randomly restarted. I’ve posted my reflex a couple of times with time stamps for those who are concerned about my player activity.

That must have really left an impression on you. That’s the second time you’ve brought it up. :wink:

so how to check this so called winrate? and why does it matter if it can be falsified?

1 Like

In wod and every expansion prior you could lose your way to full honor gear. Full honor gear was good enough to let you queue for LFR and heroics without getting kicked. Legion took away that gearing path. Coincidentally, that’s when afk’ing out of bgs sky rocketed and here we are in BFA with it just as bad.

I think it’s time for them to revamp the bg queues and adopt a similar model to hots and overwatch with practice mode vs ai, practice mode vs players, and ranked.

2 Likes

This is probably the reason I feel stronger about it than you do. I had to wait 12 minutes to be that losing backfill. So that one guy ends up wasting more than a a half hour, sometimes close to 45 minutes of my time. Probably other people’s as he’s likely quit something else already. It doesn’t happen that often, but it’s worth mentioning.

3 Likes