AFK Island Expeditions

It would seem that an unintended consequence of making it so that islands drop loot regardless of what you kill - has lead several players to start ‘AFK’ groups where they simply sit at the boat and let the opposite faction win… resulting in a 15-20 minute window where all three players obtain free azurite & loot for no effort.

While I hate to be the one to splash cold water on things, I’d really prefer that this behavior be de-incentivized in the near future - without undoing the changes to the drop method of islands (Which in my opinion, are extremely positive. I’ve been having more fun farming islands than ever before this week).

a very easy way to de-incentive ppl from doing this is just scale the amount of ap u get by a % of how much u need to cap and the reward chance of a piece of item by an additional multiplier by how much u are away from capping.

say if u are halfway to completing and u lost by a margin of like 6k to 12k on mythic invasion, u get 175ap for your trouble.

same % applies to items, like if it takes like 10% to get an item, make it 5% if u lost halfway through

1 Like

Or 0% if you do nothing.

I understand that other players’ actions shouldn’t have an impact on my ‘fun’… But people getting loot in this way really does make me feel like I’m a sucker for investing actual playtime into a task that you could just accomplish by not playing.

(Isn’t that why Botting is against the TOS? Or am I totally off-base by comparing the two?)

AFKing is less efficient than farming, it just lets you do other things. Should still be fixed though

3 Likes

This. I joined an afk group today and I honestly preferred leaving the boat and trying to complete the IE on my own. I don’t really see the downside if it’s premade groups queuing and not with duo or solo queuing, since you’ll be forcing others to play your way.

It should be penalized for PvP islands however.

Giving this a bump rather than making my own thread. I too see this as an issue. If that’s how people want to play, so be it, but even with being inefficient it leaves a bad taste that you can get the rewards while sitting in place and not doing anything in the game. I’ve yet to run into anyone queuing and trying to force me to afk, thank goodness. I joined a few myself and really didn’t like them, as stated if you get a good group you can do at least 2 mythic islands in the time it takes to afk one.

So in all, it doesn’t affect me, I don’t care if others do it, but is clearly something unintended that should be looked at.

1 Like

Wait can you get the pats by doing this? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

They patched it like 2 weeks ago.