Affliction or Destro?

i dont normally play a lock but decided to main one. biggest issue is choosing between the 2 atm. i like destro play style but i dont mind affliction either. i just dont really care for dotting things up and blowing it all up.

im just looking for a good time in every aspect of the game. M+, Raiding, and PvP. i will eventually play all 3 specs at some point but this is just being new to the class not really getting far i’ve only gotten to lvl 30 besides having boosted locks that i dont know how to play.

i think in pvp destro is better last time i saw on ladders but i can’t recall, in M+ i see maybe 1 destro at +22 and raiding i would assume affliction is dominating

It’s all aff in pve if you want even a remote chance of being invited to groups above +10, raids, ect.

All three lock specs are very bad in pvp right meow. They are too squishy and are too easily locked down.

You will hear “play what you enjoy” but unless you wanna just chill on the sidelines, I suggest you heed my call and go aff.

4 Likes

Play a different class.
Affliction plays like vomit
Destro has been broken/incomplete and boring to play since legion
Demology, same as destro.

3 Likes

ive tried. they all feel bleh to me since SL i think cause of the reverts/covenant abilities and possibly leggo’s too.

only class i do enjoy atm is mage and ive mained a mage for 6 years straight without playing anything else so it gets just as boring playing only fotm spec which typically is fire/frost.

only other class im interested in is a paladin but idc for tanking. i can tank i just dont care to. thanks though i’ll possibly look into another class for now if affliction is my only option.

aff is good in raids, mediocre in low keys, decent in high keys
Destro is okay in raids, good in low keys, okay in high keys.

if you’re planning on just doing some casual progression in those settings then just play whatever suits you more rotationally.

3 Likes

im just planning to hit up heroic unless i can find a set guild then mythic. m+ wise idc for ill just probably hit +15 and thats it. never cared for the timed dungeons just want the gear but really not worth it if only pushing into heroics.

PvP i want to get into eventually but not too worried about that atm.

I should say, most rated BGs LOVE having one affliction lock if they have the slowing legendary. I know that’s kind of niche (Locks need help - badly) but groups I’m in are always looking for one.

then yeah legit just whichever rotation you vibe with the most. it doesnt take a lot to switch back n forth. Synergy is spec agnostic leggo, and can be used till you get cinders leggo crafted up, then boom youre chillin

In that case all 3 are workable options.
In pvp we are all rather equally sitting in the same sinking ship(Aff gets to sit a little higher in the prow but the boat is still going down)

In m+ Aff had the numbers in higher keys but is almost objectively at it’s most frustrating to play.
In low keys it’s pretty lackluster.
Destro and demo chug along. Destro is more straightforward a play but demos on the horizon buffs might just make it the go-to m+ spec.

In raid Aff is easier but still boggy. Destro is doing better than it was but still has large mobility problems. Demo is ok but has some fairly serious mechanic issues holding it back from greatness.

So it’s more of a matter of picking your pain points.
Aff struggles with rotation and things dying too fast and survivability. For destro it’s dmg outside of cooldown and mobility mostly.
For demo it’s dmg outside of cooldowns and intense ramp up lengths.

What struggle seems the least struggle I suppose.

2 Likes

fun fact with the removal of gosup we actually arent super tied to infernal…destro does pretty decent sustained damage its overall output just isnt quite high enough

2 Likes

Depends on talent choice I’d say. If you take rain of chaos talent your very much tied to infernal dmg. But if you go elsewhere, I can’t remember I’m not at my desk, then it’s not so bad.

I really hope they pull demo or destro into valid m+ builds. Aff m+ is very unfun to play. Halfway through the dungeon I’m so tired of dotting and micromanaging I need a 30 min pick me up nap. Lol

3 Likes

nah roaring blaze in raid and even in dungeons at this point

my dungeon advice should be taken with a wholea** salt shaker, im a raider, not a key pusher

Same. I complete m+ bc of the gear, not bc I enjoy it.

2 Likes

Gonna disagree with you on the ‘it’s all aff for pve’.
Aff is 100% the best spec for raid. However for keys, on fortified weeks destro has a lot of value and there’s some player who’ve been performing really well with the channel demonfire build

The recent changes have brought destro up, yes. I hope it continues for both destro and demo. I hate playing aff in m+, gives me a headache and makes my hands hurt.
However, atm, aff is still the way to go.

That’s not even true. I have not done a single M+ as Aff yet.

One person’s experience does not accurately depict an entire class’s experience.

Sure but saying that Destro or Demo can’t accomplish anything or won’t be invited is not true.

Like I said, I play Destro since launch. I did almost all my keys with PUGs and it’s completely fine tbh.

2 Likes

Tell that to the countless locks, including myself, who don’t get invited despite excellent io and gear