AddOns Missing

So i am not exactly sure what to put this under, but this seemed to be the closest to what I figured would be right. I am not a New Player, I’ve been playing for years, but this is my first run in with this issue. I haven’t played in about a month or two, couldn’t afford it, RL comes first, you know. And tonight, I was bored, went to jump back in with a character, and realized Zygor was gone. Went through my normal process of making sure it was updated, and all that. And went I went to check the AddOn’s in game, I realized that the normal button to check addons were gone. I don’t know how to fix that, and I am hoping someone can walk me through it. I searched for other forums for this issue, and couldn’t find anything. Thank you for any help that can be given, and I hope you have a good night!

So if you log into the game and at the character select screen, the lower left corner of your screen should have 3 buttons:
Shop
Addons
Menu

But you see only Shop and Menu? Addons would have appeared between those two.

If that accurately describes your situation I can only see 3 things causing that:

1. You’ve been gone closer to a year and missed the WoW patch that moved the game directory and your old addon directory may have gotten left behind.
  2. Your addon files were deleted by something.
  3. The directory that contains your addon files had its permissions changed and WoW cannot access the directory properly.

About a year ago WoW’s 8.1 update moved the game directory and some players ran into issues where the old addons directory wasn’t moved. If you have been gone longer than a few months that might explain this.

By default your addons for retail wow are installed here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\AddOns
And for classic wow
C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\_classic_\Interface\AddOns

If obviously the files aren’t there or under the old directory location there’s nothing you can do except re-install them. The Twitch desktop app has a backup and sync feature that if you used it in the past, can be used to restore what was lost. Make sure you exit wow first before reinstalling.

The Twitch desktop app also has a Repair File Associations and Repair Folder Permissions command under the Settings sprocket on the “My Addons” screen. Use those if you see the files in the addon directory but wow is still not loading them. Again, make sure you exit wow first.

If you’re doing something “advanced” like your “Interface” or “Addons” directory is actually a symbolic link to a directory on another drive, that can sometimes cause problems and its not really a wow-thing but a Windows thing. You may have delete the link and recreate it before wow can see it again. Make sure you exit wow first before doing this. If you don’t know what a “symbolic link” is, don’t worry you’re not using it.

1 Like

I’ve never used the twitch addon, but I hear it’s great. If you have trouble and want to install an addon manually, it’s very simple.

Google WoW “addon name” addon

Click the link to curseforge. Download the addon on curseforge and it brings up folder(s). Copy and paste them into the addons folder here

By default your addons for retail wow are installed here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\AddOns

Restart the game and your good to go. What’s the name of the addon you want?

Got it working, haha, I ended up going and visiting my dad and was complaining about the issue, he helped because he’s had issues with it a few times. Thanks for the advice guys! Happy gaming