According to the Q&A forum feedback isn't listened too?

Yes. Because it wasn’t like this in TBC ( when I played the most). As much as some people believe it’s true, the forum posters in general aren’t ‘out to make the game fail’.

In TBC , sure you had a few complaints… Mostly about classes being OP (cough resto Druid cough ), but they didn’t complain much, at all, about the game as a whole and how it wasn’t fun. It was more along the lines of "do I play too much ? How can I take a break from the game? "

6 Likes

That team needs to work harder is my estimation. /moo

7 Likes

Horse poop.

There were tons of complaints about dungeons, drop rates of mats, attunement, classes lacking tools(fury warriors not having an agro dump) and the absolutely horrible experience of attuments poaching.

Rose colored glasses. That’s on top of all the trivial stuff that happened every expansion.

5 Likes

Statistics and numbers are great. They are. But not everything can be quantified and made into a graph. Even more concerning: statistics can be manipulated very easily.

Let’s say I made a quest where your toon has to ride to every flight point in all of Azeroth in a day. It is wildly unpopular. So I make that quest a prerequisite to getting flying AND raiding. Poof! Lots of players are doing my long, boring quest, therefore the statistics say it is popular! I look like a good developer.

Statistics don’t tell the whole story. They never have and they never will. Culturally we have this love affair with statistics because we want to make everything simple. We do this with everything! But it doesn’t work. Statistics just can’t account for human experience. Statistics fail when we try to make them the be-all and end-all, and I think Blizzard has really fallen into that trap.

44 Likes

Using simple participation as a metric, along with other similar analytics, can really hide a lot of underlying issues.

I mean, we’ve had things in the past where they touted a high level of “player engagement” with a new feature, but that was only because the feature was essentially mandatory for the expansion (e.g., garrisons in WoD, artifact weapons in Legion, etc.).

Take warfronts for example. Is the fact that most people do it once per cycle really that telling of how fun and compelling players think it is? Or would seeing how many players do it twice or more on a single tune a better metric?

Is doing the island expedition quest to get 40k azerite the best metric? Or how many more times after that quest is turned in that players do additional island expeditions?

/moo :cow:

12 Likes

I guess you’d be surprised just how much we do read and do listen but that doesn’t mean we do knee-jerk reactions to whatever someone says. We do miss things and do make mistakes, we are still human (unfortunately?), but we do try to consider the implications that changes will have for all player types. We, the World of Warcraft community, are a mass of individuals and not a hive mind. :slight_smile:

90 Likes

And yet we now have a hunt ongoing for a “Hive Mind” mount…methinks something is afoot and that Blizz’s endgame is to mind control all the players!

/moo :cow:

5 Likes

What about when a huge part of the community is calling for flying mounts to come back, but blizz says no and then releases a flying mount in the shop?

31 Likes

Wait I thought you at Blizzard were all robots out to conquer Azeroth with your robot brains…mind blown.

Haha like this forum GD is a real hivemind when one gets buzzed they all do.:rofl:

2 Likes

Are you exercising right now? I know most people stretch before they exercise.

5 Likes

humans makes mistakes yes but we can also correct it thats something i have yet to see from the devs maybe a little but not quite

2 Likes

If the game is trash and we are idiots…yeah I would, my dude.

I feel like a lot of the disgruntlement is this “everything is fine, nothing is broken” rhetoric that’s become the default party line from Blizzard. People feel like they’re not being listened to because Blizzard doesn’t ever acknowledge that a lot of people are unhappy.

It’s true, the WoW community is not a hivemind, but that means you have to address everyone’s concerns, even the ones who aren’t happy.

24 Likes

Of course we would be surprised. We have no real evidence of it. Not even the courtesy of "seen :heavy_check_mark: ". Communication doesnt always mean we want a direct answer to whatever is posted, but it certainly doesnt mean that the Blue Tracker should be full of joke threads.

Pop in, make us aware, ask questions, engage. A Q&A every few months to answer a handful of questions isnt enough.

82 Likes

Please tell the class designers to communicate design goals with players, instead of dropping mystery patch changes that simply frustrate us.

For example, shadow priest players are not happy with how we have to play. Blizzard is forcing certain changes (making Shadow Word: Death a talent instead of baseline, absurdity of Voidform, etc.) on us, and largely ignores our feedback for good design change.

Do class designers read the “Submit a suggestion” in-game option when we send them?

12 Likes

They used to do that before but now anytime one does they get yelled at, cussed at told to die and so forth can you blame them for not saying anything now.

8 Likes

Uh… sorry, but I love warfronts. I have a blast with them and could care less about the gear. So that’s not true for everyone.

6 Likes

I hate this excuse. Its weak to excuse an absence of communication on the community itself.

A handful of people saying something mean to you shouldnt keep you from doing a good job. The blues themselves have expressed this multiple times over the years.

33 Likes

I doubt in game data told them a vendor was needed for M+ gear, or that drop rates needed to be changed for islands… that’s all forum and player feedback.

I think they use both, but there is probably a bit of confirmation bias in terms of using data to support design choices they are personally invested in despite player feedback. Its not the worst example of this I have ever seen, but be honest - they put lots of time and resources into developing systems they thought people would enjoy - its hard to hear, much less accept, your wrong about something you created. When it requires lots of time to create a new solution, it probably makes sense to keep justifying it as long as you can.

1 Like

According to IOn, The entire management team for Wow is clueless as to what the “team” is doing . The team for get to tell the players. The team was able to produce better quality with fewer people working on it. The patch notes were complete, but they were incomplete

7 Likes