About the Returning Devouring Plague

Do the devs that brought this ability back not realize that it used to hit harder than a chaos bolt over its 6 second duration?

10 Likes

I don’t think they realized that it also used three shadow orbs to cast either lmao

10 Likes

I hope they buff it so I can use it in place of Voidform until 10.0 where they rework the whole spec and remove voidform. If not I will be skipping this expan. Just picked up FFXIV and it seems more fun might eventually migrate who knows.

8 Likes

It should do massive damage when cast outside of VF to make it always better to use on single targets. It should refund insanity over time when used in voidform to make it useful on aoe to drop voidform quickly and regenerate the insanity for another eruption. For cleave fights you could still use voidform for the increased dot damage from haste stacking.

4 Likes

I told you they were going to buff DoT damage by 3%. Date Dere 50 insanity cost gonna make you even more of a turret spec now. Welcome to your new Shadow Priest life.

Kelani did a nice thorough youtube video on the return of Devouring Plague. Basically his summation was that, in its current state, there isnt a reason to use it. In any content. It uses too much sanity, with no sanity gain, to use in void form. Outside void-form, it costs too much sanity to use, when void eruption does more dmg, and also AoE dmg, where Devouring Plague does not. The sanity cost is too high to bother using it to multi dot.

Even if they buff the dmg a lot, one of 2 things will happen. It will not be used in AoE situations, favoring void eruption and void form. Or its dmg on single target will make using it take priority over void form.

It Doesnt Work basically. And Void Form Doesnt Work. So right now, the spec doesnt really work in shadowlands.

5 Likes

I saw the Video too and i’m watching his stream now. He still thinks there is time for Blizz to rework the spec and remove Voidform because they just did big changes to shaman 2 weeks ago.

3 Likes

I play a DRK, and it’s amazing fun. But best of all? Because the designers are Japanese, I know they have a culture defined around honor and giving their best. The idea of ‘intentionally screwing’ the game and the experience is a foreign concept to them, as is the concept of “Because I had a bad time in Everquest, I’m biased against X or Y class.”

Blizzard by contrast thinks they can tell their customers what is the best, and will shove it down their throats regardless of whether it is truly a good or bad idea. That is why ultimately when all excuses and promises fade, and are seen for the deceptions they are; I look for FFXIV to consume WoW.

Shadow Priest is the poster-child and perfect example of why this is going to someday happen.

Translation: "Yeah. I have to say this nicely, because this is what the Developers said when I asked…

What? Shadow again?! God why can’t they just shut up and pay their subs like obedient peons? Look you tell them to piss off. Of course say it ‘nicely’. We don’t care and they are not essential. Our Developers know better than those pathetic hicks what is fun.

We don’t play Shadow Priest and we do not care a whit for the feedback. Go tell them to stop bothering us. Shadow Priest is not worth a redesign. We said we’d do one but guess what champ? We lied. Besides, what ARE they gonna do huh?! Quit? LOL. No they won’t. Now get out of my sight. We’re busy working on real classes like Mage and Druid."

5 Likes

Right now I’m leveling a white mage and after that I’m going to level an Astrologist then maybe and Archer or summoner. Its really growing on me. The GCD is a bit slow but i heard once you get higher levels it all fits.

2 Likes

I really like this idea. Idk how well it would work, but casting a bunch of void eruptions sounds like fun in AOE

Maybe that could be the new aoe rotation :thinking:

Cast void eruption and plague a target, then repeat until everything has devouring plague

1 Like

hopefully when more people get beta/alpha access blizz will get flooded with feedback about how bad spriest is and they cave in.

3 Likes