Ability/Loot Lag on North American Servers Despite Normal Latency

Boralus has been pretty darn lagged today. I’ve basically written off playing in the zone until off hours or another day. Other zones have been pretty normal today, but I’ve avoided most of the crowded areas.

Character: Hasylla
Server: Sen’jin
When: October 24, pretty much all day
Problem: Selling items or individual commands to the mission table can take 0.5 to 5 seconds after initial input of command before the server carries out the command.

Stormwind continues to show heavy signs of input lag.

Can safely say it is Blizzard’s end. Dropped 2k on a new rig, well exceeding Shadowlands specs, fresh reinstall and no addons, and Stormwind is still showing signs of poor server handling.

Can confirm this happening on both Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord - US servers.

1 Like

This is happening to me as well since Monday or Tuesday, Nov 2-3…i’ve checked my connection and updated everything. I cannot figure out what is going on.

I’ve noticed this happening to me since the Tuesday after prepatch was released (Oct 20th). I didn’t play much the actual week of prepatch release, but I’m assuming it’s related.

There’s an inconsistent delay on abilities that is more or less always present. It feels like brief spikes in latency. For example: 7 abilities go off normally, next 3 there’s 200+ms delay, next 3 normal, next 5 delay, next 10 normal, etc… It occasionally spikes up to more than a second delay.

The weirdest part about it is that I seemingly have this issue everywhere but instanced pvp, excluding 40 man BGs. Not really sure what to make of that.

There’s also been some strange latency issues in M+ and raid since prepatch. In raid on the 20th, everybody in my guild was having similar issues. It got so bad on n’zoth that we ended raid. Everybody had odd stuttering as if the server was only updating once every 1-2 seconds, eventually causing most of the raid to DC with much bigger 10+ second spikes. Very similar to how Korrak’s revenge is. This has happened in a couple of M+ runs I’ve attempted to do since then. I’ve also noticed individual players freezing then teleporting 1-2 seconds later. No idea if any of this is related.

Latency is 40/40 and WinMTRs have been normal. In game latency doesn’t change when experiencing issues. Fps/usage%/temps all normal. I’ve tried removing addons/wtf, altering graphics settings, fiddling with spellqueuewindow, using a vpn, dns flush, selective startup, router restart, disabling firewall/windows defender, driver reinstalls, using wifi instead of ethernet incase it’s an adapter issue, and probably 10 other things I can’t think of off the top of my head. Nothing has had any effect. Still haven’t tried reinstalling yet, seems like a fruitless endeavor.

I had no issue prior to prepatch and have no issues outside of wow. I’ve gone back and forth with CS and everything looks normal from my end. Kind of just at a loss. Going to be fairly miserable if this persists into shadowlands release.

I really wish they’d fix this. I’ve been experiencing it daily in Stormwind all week while leveling the allied races to 50 with a friend. Randomly after a dungeon we sometimes get put in a bad layer/phase/shard of Stormwind. Despite 45ms home + world there will be a 3-5 second delay on everything. That is 3000-5000ms. Vendoring, auction house, spells, mounting, queueing for another dungeon. It’s pretty painful when it happens. You can take one step outside Stormwind into Elwynn Forest and the problem is instantly gone.

The Scourge Invasion has only exacerbated the problem.

You’ve known about this issue for two years plus now.

You’ve worked on this game for sixteen years.

The complete disregard of professionalism, let alone expectations, is dubious at this time.

Do not forget 76.

1 Like

HAHAHHAHAH i love the blue post, is like the generic respond for anything related to lag hahahhahahhahah LAME AND PATHETIC

Hey all,

We do know that there are increased reports of this since the 9.0 patch, due largely to the fact that a lot of players are clustering in the same areas again. We haven’t provided updates on the thread because as Customer Support, we do not interact directly with the bug fixing process.

We do know that over the last several patches reports have gone down as further optimizations have been made, but there’s an increase in reports after 9.0 again. We’re tracking this new influx now, but since this is a bug we can’t do anything else here. It’s honestly better to report Shard lag as a bug in #support:bug-report since that is the location that the teams that report to QA and the Devs gather info. While we understand you’d like more updates, we do not have any meaningful updates on the situation. If that changes, we’ll certainly tell you all to retest, but we simply are not involved beyond some collecting of data at this time.

I hope this has provided a bit more insight as to why this thread has gone dead from a support perspective. In short, our role in the process is extremely limited, and while we appreciate your reports throughout this time as well as the extreme patience shown, we’ve done everything we can other than sifting this thread for further reports and attaching them to our running report on this issue.

Two. Years.

Two years is right. You guys are a joke.

worked a treat thanks

nope nope , back to working like crud again spell lag , damage lag , mounting lag.

This has not stopped. 2 years.
My subscription expires in 15 days. Ill see if it gets better.
This morning, everything went well in maldraxxus. for about 40 mins, no delays AT ALL in the abiltities spells, quests interactions etc.
Then, out of the blue, everything took 1-2 second delay. No reason, nothing changed… this is ridiculous blizzard you are a joke of a company at this point. I regret paying for Shadowlands you just cant believe how much.

I’ve begun to experience this mostly during the day in all Shadowlands zones.

Two years?!

Happening on classic with me on my priest i’m leveling spells would go off fine then after a while a spell or two would fully cast but the animation and damage won’t calculate till maybe 2-3 or so seconds later I have fine MS and I don’t run anything in the background. been happening maybe the past few days or so

Since the new patch my latency lag is now at 566ms(Home) and 611ms(World). What an absolute joke, Blizzard…

Uh.

Whatever the issue might have been them nine months back (or really three years ago when this thread was originally created), would not be the case now with so many hotfixes and patches since. This is why necros are frowned upon.

If you’re having an issue, it’s best to open a new thread of your own with the information asked for in their sticky, along with any relevant diagnostic files. It’s always best to just leave dead things dead if they’re anything older than a week or two - let alone the better part of a year. You give no information, only scorn. So it would be difficult for folks to help diagnose your issue and provide assistance.

1 Like

In Goldenrod’s defense, the issue this thread’s been going on about was the same issue that was kicking around over 3 years ago, unfixed. However, it does seem to have been fixed in the last couple of months (well, it’s the first time I haven’t experienced it since about 2018). So, thanks for finally fixing it Blizz, would love to learn more about what changed!

But yea, high apparent latency numbers like you’re reporting Goldenrod are actually unrelated to this thread, which was about low apparent latency (game reporting <40ms) but users experiencing massive actual lag.

It might seem the same, but similarity doesn’t equal the same root cause. That is why they ask that we not necro dead threads.