Ability/Loot Lag on Oceanic Servers Despite Normal Latency

“Oh yeah… that. Yeah. We’re working on it. Didn’t even take a break for Christmas or New Years. Top priority. Top developers working on it. Diablo Immortal shelved for now. We needed our top minds working on this issue.”

The single intern assigned to the issue heads back to StackOverflow and YouTube tutorials in an attempt to solve the issue.

5 Likes

It is happening right now for me.

Character name: Gorthak (Alliance)
Zon: Stormsong Valley
Realm: Lightning’s Blade
Time: Right now, 3:30 Eastern time.

1 second delays… intermittent.

Note that I played a 2 hours this morning around 7:30 AM to 9h30 AM eastern time, and it was fine for those couple hours.

1 Like

Happening again this morning… all morning.

Character name : Gorthak (Alliance)
Zon : Tiragarde Sound
Realm : Lightning’s Blade
Time : Right now, 8h00 to now (10h13 AM).

COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS

1 Like

‘Things have been super crazy over the holidays’…this has been going on for a lot longer than just ‘the holidays’.

It seems like you are just sending generic messages every so often so it seems like this issue isn’t being ignored.

HOW is this still an issue after so so long…your game is broken. I loved Blizzard before this but the team working on WOW has managed to destroy what could have been an awesome expansion, I have never felt so annoyed and disappointed in my favourite gaming company.

3 Likes

My money is on it being related to a mix of the scourge of microservices and “cloud computing”, and a poorly planned and thought out implementation in their sharding tech.

In theory, the two are a perfect match for each other. In practice, well. This happens.

When a new shard is required, the “cloud” should be able to dynamically spawn a new “server” on demand. It keeps costs down and theoretical scalability high. It should be able to provide enough server resources to keep everyone on the shard running smoothly. If more people join this shard, more resources can be allocated. If people leave, those resources can be allocated elsewhere.

I’m guessing a poor implementation on multiple fronts leads to the issues experienced daily. Constantly loading and unloading these services, swapping players between them and possibly not letting them scale up as high as required.

It’s just a guess, but it’s not an uncommon conundrum and balancing act in the enterprise world. On-demand is popular with the bean counters as it potentially reduces costs. Only using resources when and where required, as opposed to outlying a set number of bare metal servers for each realm. It’s great when implemented correctly, and hell when it isn’t.

Of course with Blizzard presumably still running their own servers and not leasing out from cloud providers, it’s a bit more fuzzy, but it still works. Server resources can be dynamically shared between all their games. More people playing Overwatch compared to WoW? Give OW more of the server resources. They would not need to have a big box with an Overwatch label, a WoW label, a HotS label and a D3 label. They just have a bunch of boxes that are shared between everything as required.

Regardless of what the issue is, the fact it clearly wasn’t properly tested is poor form on Blizzards end. The fact they didn’t have a backup plan in case this technology didn’t work out is poor form. The fact they didn’t have a backup FOR the backup is poor form. You don’t rush head first with such major fundamental changes in architecture on a platform of millions of paying users without contingencies in place.

Blizzard doesn’t care. They’re too arrogant for “best practices”. Anything they crap out IS the best practice in their eyes. It’s seen through how they treat players with their gameplay decisions. It’s seen here. It’s seen in how they communicate. Blizzard is always right.

It might take so long to fix because it requires a fundamental rewrite of the technology behind lots of “behind the scenes” tech. It might take so long because they don’t know how to fix it given their existing architecture. It might take so long because they’re incompetent? Because Finance doesn’t want to spend the money to make what needs to happen, happen? Because they just don’t want to? Because they can’t?

No matter what the reason is - issues with scalability, issues with implementation, financial, technical or workforce related, it’s not acceptable going on half a year for a PAID service.

It’s bloody disgusting and not something that should be treated so casually from what would once be considered one of the, if not the premiere name in PC gaming.

Hey, at least when it’s all over, maybe they’ll give us a 10% discount on a store mount of our choice for the over half a year of “inconvenience”. Or more likely, they’ll “fix” it (with the help of some nice AH fix style “compromises”) and do nothing other than a half-arsed apology and thank their loyal customers for continuing to fund their inadequate, poorly performing game and the developers behind it.

6 Likes

Great post, agreed 100% … Blizzard don’t give a S*** to us …poor tecnology !

1 Like

I’m starting to think that this more likely to be the case. When you have reports from multiple sources that the people in Activision responsible for money matters are starting to interfere with how Blizzard runs its game, then that line of thought becomes more reasonable. Too hard to fix without a significant outlay of cash? Then just fiddle with it, tinker with it to try and make it a bit better with what you have and hope that players just get used to it and stop making a fuss.

If it’s true, it’s probably the major thing that will drive me away from the game. I thought we’d moved past the kind of game performance I used to experience in Wrath. It seems not.

3 Likes

This is what the latency/lag has been like for me in Boralus city, tiragarde sound or drustvar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrNOOk-3JY

Just bumping to keep this frontpage, fix it!

3 Likes

I play nagrand oceanic i was playing today and the latency was pretty bad.
Take a quest and it would not accept for a few min, invisible mounts sometimes cannot hand quests in. I gave up and logged off…i only just came back after 2months…

2 Likes

Just an update. Yesterday (10/01/2019) I was again still experiencing issues.

Aside for the general awful lag I again encountered having my mount not display permanently (would just run really fast), it wouldn’t “dismount” me indoors so I would be stuck mounted, attacking would not auto dismount, instead I got errors saying I can’t do that while mounted (even though settings are correct in options), I had to right click the mount buff to dismount.

Fury wasn’t being generated correctly, and neither was Fury usage (and CD). As long as I had over 10 Fury visually I could spam Blade Dance for the animation (no damage). Using Eye Beam with Blind Fury didn’t generate Fury until about 3-4s after the channel finished.

I also got locked in combat at some point for some unknown reason. Exiting the game wouldn’t fix the issues. However, joining a PvP Brawl did alleviate the issue while I was in it. Unsure if it continued after as I just logged off instead of potentially dealing with it.

Finding myself less enthused about playing the game with all the issues that we seem to be facing. As a long time player I’m finding that to be a really sad state to be in. I have my sub till March-April at the moment but if things are as they are then, as much as it pains me I don’t think I’ll be able to justify continuing my subscription.

I love this game…I just don’t enjoy the experience that we have got at the moment. And that’s just really upsetting for me to say.

3 Likes

Still no reprieve from this issue.

1 Like

crickey, in Arathi at the moment… it seems insane at the moment. None of my holy power building attacks seem to be generating anything, stayed on my Divine Steed for the entire duration of a 30+ second fight, and now despite being on the ground am being told I can’t attack something because I’m mounted. Pretty much unplayable guys :frowning:

4 Likes

…getting killed 'cos the lag is so terrible, running back to corpse and ressing, getting attacked by mobs yet not being able to fight back… 'cos I’m still “dead”… /facepalm.

This despite 36 home / 37 world.

3 Likes

Yeah games minced

3 Likes

Just now in Drustvar/Tiragarde Sound and have that weird mount issue - obvious lag I herb without the mount disappearing and then when I do mount again, Im running around with no mount visible.

So I get sick of that, head back to Boralus, try to vendor stuff in my bag; the items grey out but just sit there. Closing the bag does nothing. I actually have to log off the character and then log back on to clear the bag.

Its fracking ridiculous. Your buggy game continues to meet with my disapproval, Blizz…

4 Likes

Seems to be the same as the issues I’ve been experiencing. Really makes the game unplayable at that point.

2 Likes

Not even toggling warmode helps when an invasion is in progress and seemingly whole world shows up in one area to do it.

I thought now that it was happening on US realms that it would get sorted. But no, Blizzard are okay with having everyone’s play time effected by this. Because while it certainly doesn’t happen to everyone all of the time, you can’t tell me it isn’t experienced frequently by most players - so matter how long they experience it for.

I truly do wish I could talk with my money, and cancel my sub. Because this is some right shonky service. But guilds don’t keep themselves afloat and I rather like the people in mine!

3 Likes

This is completely ruining questing in nazmir on nagrand at 9:10pm server time. I have to log off after every quest hand in. I can’t use quest items and cant even hearth. Wtf dudes :frowning: Its been fine all night previously :frowning:

3 Likes

Sooooo… I took a 2.5 months break from the game, sometimes while my acc was frozen I would visit this thread to see if the issue was fixed. So here it is folks:

The issue still exists post 8.1 launch. IT IS NOT FIXED.

I still get random variable delays when casting my abilites, even if my latency is showing normal values. When traveling doing world quests or leveling, sometimes the game plays great, sometimes it plays horrible and laggy.

The couldn’t fix it, It seems this will be the end of wow for me and many, many people. I’m truly saddened right now.

4 Likes