Ability/Loot Lag on North American Servers Despite Normal Latency

• Character Experiencing Issue: Chairmanjeff
  • Realm Character is on: Lightning’s Blade
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): Tirisgarde Sound
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 11:24 PM

Xizor-Whisperwind

All world zones. But it has gotten significantly worse since I reached BFA questing areas. It goes in and out but it is happening almost all the time. I stress this is happening in world zones only. Instanced areas like raids and dungeons produce zero problems.

My latency hovers around 38 ms home and world even while this is happening. I have been experiencing this on my main since BFA started but it is noticeably worse lately, probably because I’m playing a caster now.

Characters: All
Realm: Korgath
Zones: All but worst in Tirigarde Sound and Nazmir
Server Time: All last evening

Does not occur in Dungeons/Islands/Raids, only the open world.
Exceptionally bad when looting/herbing.

If I had to take a wild guess without knowing much about the technical details, this happens mostly related to herbing/looting in zones that are most frequently farmed for herbs. I’m imagining whatever system handles putting loot from the world into players inventories is causing this issue and slowing the server.

I am glad this thread has been created as this issue has now grown to the point where the game is becoming unplayable. The following is what I have observed along with fellow guild members on multiple servers and while playing various characters.

• Currently while playing the game my abilities can stop responding, resource generation stops, damage to enemies stops and the delays can last upwards of 20 second to 1 minute, causing character death. If selling to a merchant at the time the items will grey but remain in bags until the system corrects.

• When the BfA expansion first launched occasional ability and loot delays were noticed but were minimal in the new expansion zones, more irritating than anything else. Slowly over time the delays and how often they occur have increased, especially with the 8.1 patch.

• It is not limited by server or faction, I play on Greymane, Gilneas and Velen.

• Since 8.1 dropped the issues are now very apparent and seems to occur even with characters outside the expansion zones that I am leveling.

• I am not experiencing similar delays in any other game, MMO or otherwise. I have tried shutting off my antivirus program and background programs/processes, no change or impact.

• My latency ranges from 41 to 46 ms normally and during the issues it does not go up.

Character Experiencing Issue: All Characters - It worsens the longer you play. If you log out to character select it seemed to reset for a short time before 8.1 dropped.

Realm Character is on: All realms with my characters - Greymane, Gilneas and Velen.

Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): All zones, the longer your play session the more it occurs.

Server Time When Issue Occurs: As of 8.1 all times of play, morning or night. Previous to 8.1 it was worse at night.

Cheers,

3 Likes
  • Character Experiencing Issue:
    TheQuixote, SanchoPanza
  • Realm Character is on:
    Staghelm
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc):
    Boralus, instances, loch modan
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs:
    Intermittent since 8.1. “Seems” to happen / get worse when server is busy.

There’s a couple big threads on the topic over at WoWs subreddit.

Long story short:
-This input lag is impacting a lot of people.
-Raids and dungeons are not impacted.
-This was a problem prior to 8.1, but now it is much more widespread. It used to isolated to certain zones. Once you left that zone input lag went away. Now it is affecting multiple world zones simultaneously.

4 Likes
  • Character Experiencing Issue: Heeto, Hetokirin
  • Realm Character is on: stormrage
  • Zone : boralus , underrot, everywhere
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 11:00 PM ish

This has been happening for weeks. Got a lot worse when the last patch dropped. It’s causing disconnects now. I felt like it may be on my end since my video card needed updating. Nvidia 660 GTX. I have a 1060 Ti on the way

But. It seems like it’s on your side. It has happened in five mans. Haven’t noticed it as bad In raids but there’s a bad problem somewhere

1 Like
  • Character Experiencing Issue: Twii
  • Realm Character is on: Aerie Peak
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): All BFA zones
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: ANytime, doesnt matter when I have been on. Its always bad

Havent been able to play for a few days, not that the game isn’t like able to load or anything, it’s just that I play a rogue…ANd when combopoints dont appear, blade flurry wont activate, and I can’t stealth or grapple in a consistent fashion…What’s the point?

• Character Experiencing Issue: Kayael.
  • Realm Character is on: ravencrest
  • Zone : drustvar at the moment
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 3:51 pm

Forums wont let me reply again.

• Zone : nazmir
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 7:09pm

Game right now is almost not playable. Quest items wont work, skills wont go off. It is really bad.

Logged out back in so bad. I can’t even play quest are getting screwed up.

• Zone : nazmir
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 9:11pm

Gear takes 30 seconds to equip

Tonight so far:
Restart the game almost 5+ times
Reload ui 10+ times
Game froze/locked me in place 5 times
Skills not working multiple times.
Quest lag multiple times.

I had not seen any of this till tonight. It is so bad it’s almost better for me to not even play right now.

1 Like
  • Character Experiencing Issue: Nakitaa
  • Realm Character is on: Echo Isles
  • Zone : Drustvar
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 6:25pm

This lag is just driving me CRAZY. It’s absurd. Started after 8.1.

3 Likes
  • Character Experiencing Issue: Baelskrog
  • Realm Character is on: Ravencrest
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): Zuldazar
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 10:56pm

Stuttering and ability lag (.5-1sec). Latency less than 30ms

Maybe now its happening more to US players as well, the problem will finally get fixed?

6 Likes

Character: Hasylla
Realm: Sen’jin
Zone: Tiragarde Sound
Server time: 4:52 PM

I noticed the lag as soon as I logged into Boralus in the form of a slight delay in when buffs were cast or the mount cast would start. Character was taken into Tiragarde Sound for a few world quests where there was a frequent, but not permanent, 0.2-0.5 second delay on casting and looting. It was enough to make me shift from frost’s shatter combo play style to the one button spam of arcane.

For what it is worth, it was very noticeable yesterday in any zone with a world boss where people would congregate.

• Character Experiencing Issue: Maeme
  • Realm Character is on: Norgannon
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): Dun Morogh
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 6:20pm

Latency (home): 59ms
Latency (world): 47ms

Character: Daspien
Realm: Mal’ganis
Zone: Nazmir
Server time: 6:09 pm

Character: Jet
Realm: Grizzly Hills
Zone: Loch Modan
Server time: 7:39pm EST

Character Experiencing Issue: Gaviin
Realm Character is on: Thunderhorn
Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): Have experienced in Kul Tiras, Zandalar, Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms… pretty much everywhere
Server Time When Issue Occurs: All times

Latency is always 19-21ms, both home and world.

Tahlee ( all my characters on the server )
Gorefiend
All the zones
All day

This has been going on since the new 8.1 patch went down. Second or two ability lag out in the world. Dungeons/raids seem fine.

Most of the people in our guild plus friends that play on the server have all been experiencing the same issue since the patch.

Aerael (all toons on this realm especially)
Area52 (also other realms like Drenden-Arathor, but Area52 is by far the worst)
All zones
All the time, but has gotten bad the past day or so

My home and world latency are fine as is my fps. I updated my graphics drivers from NVIDIA and it did not help especially on Area52.