A Thought On Neutral RP Events

Yeah it’s not as if I ever experienced gut-clenching anxiety at seeing large numbers of them in an RP venue, nope, it’s just recreational dislike

3 Likes

I was speaking on the topic in general, not specifically and only about him, apologies for the lack of clarity.

No, but my point is, you’re addressing the insults to all orc warriors. Every single orc warrior has been mean to you? Every single one?

3 Likes

when someone has stated they’ve been subject to repeated harassment by a specific sort of person/character/whatever it’s kinda dickish to grill them on whether or not every encounter with said specific people/characters/whatever has been negative

I’m not grilling anyone, and I’d thank you to not resort to calling names. If you’d rather not have the discussion, that’s fine.

1 Like

Did you just ignore when I said there were NOT enough positive experiences to change my view? Consider, perhaps, that those few exceptions are people who have seen what I’ve seen and agree with my assertion? Because they’ve been subject to the same.

I don’t have to justify feeling anxious, disappointed, fearful of mistreatment and ultimately alienated by a demographic that attracts horrible, abusive people. Get the hell off my back.

I’ve asked you like… 2 questions. I apologize if you feel attacked, I’ll gladly drop the subject.

LMAO I guess I need to be kind and patient with the next scumbag that tells me my identity as a gay man is disgusting

This is just a joy through and through

Are you implying I’m homophobic because of this interaction?

2 Likes

I think Malakota’s more referring to prior encounters with the example at hand.

Nice try, thanks for playing.

Look I’m happy to drop the subject, but if you want that, then drop it. I’m not gonna let you try to publicly crap on me and shame me, and just tuck my ears back and nod apologetically. We disagree, and it’s fine. But chill out and just leave me be also, if that’s what you want.

I am also definitely not homophobic… not that you know me, or anything about me. And I’m sorry you feel that throwing around such a serious accusation is an appropriate tool for making a point on a video game forum.

2 Likes

I love how you read NOTHING I’VE BEEN SAYING and you’re still editing your post to keep adding layers to your unjustifiable-victim-complex cake.

I apologize for the distress I’ve caused here, it was sincerely not intentional. My only point was that I do not personally think it’s morally acceptable to generalize that severely. I’ve been harassed, I’ve been threatened, I get it. I just disagree on how to handle it.

I hope that going forward, you’re able to avoid such behavior from others, as nobody deserves that, regardless of how they feel about it.

I agree. But currently, the conversation is ranging between two extremes: #NotAllOrcs or #YesAllOrcs.

The truth isn’t exactly in the middle. Orcs tend to have a disproportionately larger chance of enabling toxic RP and a disproportionately smaller chance of speaking out against it.

I think a lot of peoples’ frustration stems from the fact that whenever we make any attempt to actually address the toxicity, some defender swoops in to make accusations of “orc bashing” or other sensitive stuff.

This doesn’t get better until we admit there’s a problem.

2 Likes

I think one of his points is that he shouldn’t have to be on the lookout to avoid that situation, but rather that we should do a better job of making that kind of behavior unacceptable.

And he’s right.

4 Likes

He is, yes, I mean I’d never argue that. My ONLY point of contention here, is the idea that people, as human beings, are morally identifiable and condemnable based on their WoW race and class. That’s literally ALL I’m saying. Generalizations bother me, personally. I’m not going to force that idea on anyone, we all know that anyone who wants to generalize is still free to do so. Not looking to take away anyone’s voice, or downplay what they’ve been through.

I 110% agree that people like that need to be held accountable. It would only help both sides of the generalization debate, after all.

I understand your point of view, but I think his point is more that “well, have you tried playing with more Orc RPers” (I’m paraphrasing here) is shifting the onus back on the victim when the conversation should be on not giving toxic behavior a place to thrive.

I know neither you nor Kirsy intended that, but it really sucks when you’re the victim of antisocial, hateful behavior and you get told that you (the royal you) need to do better.

Like, these aren’t isolated incidents. Damn near everyone has a bad Kor’kron RP experience. It’s enough of an issue that we have to keep talking about it. I think he’s just frustrated that, for some reason, the conversation is still “how can we better accommodate toxic Orc RP” rather than “how are we going to clear the toxicity out of Orc RP?”

3 Likes

While I don’t think it’s a good idea to force anyone to RP with folks they don’t want to, I also find it an absurd overuse of stereotype to suggest that “All orc warriors” or “all human paladins” are anything other than RPers.

You don’t want to RP with orc warriors, that’s fine. You do you, it’s not my $15. But don’t be surprised if you get some negative feedback for making wildly generalised accusations on the forums, in a very public setting.

Edit, all that said, Enekie’s got a point:

We defs shouldn’t be demanding that a person with bad experiences has to just try to do more of the things that led them to bad experiences, on the off chance they’ll get some good experiences.

1 Like

I long ago gave up any hope of seeing any positive change in orc RP. There’s just too much pushback and too many people who get offended when you point out a problem or say “I have experienced years of abuse from this group, something is wrong with it.” No one cares, as a rule. You can even see that in action here. The first response to “a lot of orc players have been abusive and even homophobic” is “it’s not fair for you to say that, you need to try harder.”

Well right, it would be, but I’m not saying that. I don’t think anyone said that, because it’s really out of line. I think pointing to examples of good people in that demo was more just trying to point out that they’re not all bad, and those people who’ve done nothing wrong don’t deserve that ridicule.

I can’t be clear enough about that. I’m all in favor of acting against and calling out these toxic players, but I don’t want people who’ve done nothing wrong to get swept up in it because we don’t want to take the time to differentiate.

3 Likes