A Thought On Neutral RP Events

Yeah she sounds like a case of… actually something serious. But I’m more speaking in terms of like… running an empire, not just being in charge of a few people. A few people, yeah a real psychopath could probably control. Although it doesn’t sound like she did, if there was high turnover.

I’m not sure if we’re talking about employers irl or Sylvanas in this thread, so allow me to compromise.

Sylvanas doesn’t even offer the Forsaken a dental plan. Have you seen our jaws? Not pleasant. And every time we try to make a union, we get shot by Dark Rangers at Arathi Highlands :frowning:

7 Likes

I call Tauren dook on no dental plan. All those metal replacement gobs have to come out of SOMEONE’S budget, orthodontics aren’t cheap and those things look pretty flush with the rest of the face so they were clearly custom built.

3 Likes

No, I’m not rethinking anything I’ve said in that post. Over a decade of observation is enough for me to repeat what many, many others have also said. It’s unfortunate you find it uncomfortable but do as you must.

I just haven’t had this experience. I’ve seen exactly two incidents of Orc RPers (not necessarily warriors) having some issues and those were isolated incidents during SOO. Most Orcs, Orc Warriors or Warrior anything else I’ve ever RP’d with (or RP’d because I occasionally will RP an Orc or Warrior) have been more along the lines of Saurfang. They’re big into honor and protecting. My personal Orc characters are usually young, untrained foot soldiers (similar to Zappyboi, but Orc instead of Troll).

I also see some played as Orc peons or for other types of humor (a guildie of mine had shoulders that talked, insulting him).

But believe what you want. It’s not like any examples I give are going to change your mind.

3 Likes

I think when you want to dislike people of a certain demographic, you conveniently forget all the people in that demographic not harming you, or even being nice.

It becomes the opposite of “Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.”

4 Likes

I think it’s kind of important to remember that we can have different experiences without invalidating others’.

I don’t doubt that you’ve had some positive Orc RP. I have, too. But I’ve also endured harassment from Orc RPers and I watched some of the ugliest behavior on the server happen during the Kor’kron era.

Saying all Orc RP is bad is not a sentiment I share, but I don’t invalidate other peoples’ bad experiences, and I think by acknowledging that this tends to happen with Orc RP more often than other RP is the first step to fixing its bad reputation.

1 Like

I mean, people can attempt to invalidate my experiences and accuse me of wanting to hate the demographic all they want, it’s not going to shame or intimidate me into changing my stance.

In the MoP era I had an entire guild of diehard Garrosh fans–all male orc warriors, hunters, etc–attacking me in particular on MG’s forums. All it took was seeing one of them write an “only the way -we- RP orcs is objectively correct” thread and questioning it. Then the hounds were unleashed.

In all my years of RPing (and I really detest pointing out all those years but it seems necessary) the most vile, caustic, disruptive behavior I’ve dealt with almost always comes from this group. Whether it’s attacking my RP, attacking me OOCly, godmoding the daylights out of any shared RP, and exhibiting baldfaced sexism and homophobia, it’s almost always this group.

I have had male orc warriors give me the evil eye for publicly being gay (“disgusting homosexual sh_t” was a memorable phrase).

I have had them attempt to permakill my characters and then blast me OOCly when they can’t.

I have had them go on week-long tirades calling me every horrible thing under the sun because I wouldn’t allow my character to be bullied by theirs.

So, yeah, screw them. These have been my experiences and no amount of shaming and scolding will erase them or change my mind.

Fun trivia? This character I post on was actually rolled specifically to counter the most common and tiresome qualities of such people. I didn’t get very far, sadly.

5 Likes

Well, it’s unfortunate you feel that way. Sorry you had poor experiences.

I have no intention of invalidating what someone else experienced. I do find it odd when someone says, “All Orc RPers” are this or “All Warrior RPers” are that, or even to say that most are because someone says so.

What I’m actually trying to do here is say that Not All Orc RPers are this. They’re not all angry white guys taking out some kind of harassment fantasy just because some people had that experience in the past, recently or currently. Even if someone was harassed by several, it doesn’t make every one they’ve never met a bad.

“We can have different experiences without invalidating others” goes both ways. But I can’t force someone to be open minded after harassment, nor would I try. But I would definitely suggest that before anyone condemns all or most of a class/race combo as being jerks IC/OOC, that they consider they haven’t met every single RPer of that class/race.

2 Likes

unless they’re male human paladins

4 Likes

What happens the day that orcs can become paladins? D:

“if you’ve had repeated bad experiences with a specific type of character and you avoid that type of character you’re prejudiced and should force yourself to interact with that specific kind of character until you have a good experience” is a hot take i’m not surprised to see come out of what this thread has turned into

5 Likes

eitrigg produces the Culling of Orgrimmar as the first male orc paladin and leader of them

2 Likes

Uh… where was this said? All I said was it’s not really nice to generalize and call people jerks based on what they play. And even acknowledged that it sucks he’s had those experiences.

Edit: If I did say something interpretable as that, I do apologize, I’d never tell anyone that, it’s ridiculous.

3 Likes

I should probably mention once again that I’ve had over a decade to meet these people. Maybe that wasn’t noticeable or wasn’t a convenient fact. I’ve had so, so much time to have these experiences and there have not been enough good ones to outweigh the bad, not by a long shot.

I think Kirsy’s only point is that she doesn’t think it’s especially cool to open endedly insult large swaths of people you don’t know. Not that you should be required to like orc warrior RPers or interact with them.

2 Likes

i don’t know malakota but i’m pretty sure he didn’t want to dislike male orc warriors until they started, like, you know, harassing him

2 Likes

I am not obligated to be nice to a large swath of people who have made my overall experience in this game horrible at every. Single. Turn.

2 Likes