A Thought On Neutral RP Events

Being the stickler to lore and the current shape of things in game, I just wanted to say I’m amused at all of the neutral events popping up.

On one hand, I’m glad to see the communities coming together for some friendly RP. We do desperately need more neutral and full faction events. On the other hand, my immersive focused lore nerd is wondering if anyone else realizes that if the world was active and reactive, then Sylvanas would likely see these gatherings as threats to the Horde or believe they are conspiring against her. Meaning any neutral based event would and should end up being plague bombed by Sylvanas loyalists until she’s deposed. Or at least a skirmish between Deathguard/Dark Ranger assassins and SI:7 agents who were there to observe.

What are your thoughts on this?

8 Likes

I see an opportunity here for both factions to get together and discuss how they are going to deal with Sylvanas.

3 Likes

Except it’s not, and if it was, I guarantee you people would be vastly more inclined to play ‘wtihin the lines’ so to speak.

I think people can, should, and will do whatever event business they plan to and hope that misguided souls don’t go steps too far to disrupt events based on similar immersive subjectiveness.

I also think that if the world were active and reactive, it would require Blizz to be more proactive with their plot and people would be more invested in it and the faction conflict than they currently are.

Effectively my point is; it’s similar to how any time someone mentions “but the lore is X” a la Stormwind / Orgrimmar grunts. Sure, people do happen to be ignoring some setting / consequence. If those same people are contained and cooperating consentually? Then who cares.

Edit: I don’t want that to come off needlessly combative, by the by. The trends of RP are always interesting to follow. If people add some spice to their events with the reminder that Sylvanas or other powers that be are not very pro cooperation, that’s cool too. I’m just of a mind it is effectively a needless reminder.

5 Likes

“Killing Sylvanas loyalists” sounds like a fantastic neutral RP event!

17 Likes

If they didn’t have Horde players constantly canonically do things that would make her mad, and suffer no consequences, then maybe it would bother me.

There’s also the fact that most of these meetings take place in places Sylvanas has no control over, and wouldn’t know about. Like Pandaria.

3 Likes

@Lahilahi

That’s pretty much the scenario I was getting at.

@Kureya

Eh. This will branch off into a whole other topic debate regarding acceptable behavior in a RP setting, general player etiquette and the perspectives on what should and shouldn’t be enforced vs letting people do whatever they want. All I will say, is that it wouldn’t be a needless or pointless reminder as it’ll help characters be more actively aware of what’s going on in the world around them.

Personally, a character that is blatantly aware of the potential consqeuences of their actions is a much more developed character than one that operates off the cuff of their player.

@Stalairne

I’d take part in that. Even lead the charge.

@Zektal

My troll, this is Sylvanas we’re talking about; the epitome of control issues and paranoia. I bet she has eyes and ears in places we’d never even consider thinking about hosting such gatherings at.

1 Like

It is no one person’s job to remind folk of how developed or aware a character should or should not be.

That’s not an argument about etiquette or otherwise mind you. That’s just how it is.

Edit; My post particularly included and specified consent, cooperation, and self containment.

8 Likes

I mean until you can prove it, I’m not going to be bothered by people RPing against the idea, because it’s headcanon. The fact is, working against Sylvanas is far more interesting and rewarding for many, than working for her in RP. That’s why so many people do it.

Believe me, we’ve had this conversation before on the forums. The neutral RP you’re seeing is due to poor writing on Blizzard’s part, not a lack of understanding of lore on the players’.

2 Likes

Since I find what’s going on in the world around my characters to be various forms of offensive, depressing, illogical, and generally, unenjoyably stupid on an OOC basis, my characters’ “awareness” of it all will be actively selective on my part until the situation improves.

A lot of people do not find the current main narrative to be fun, for many diverse reasons. They nevertheless don’t want to drop characters that they’ve put a great deal of time and emotional investment in, nor decrease or give up their RP time, as a result. So they make do.

The fact that many are avoiding given aspects of the faction war plot does not mean they don’t understand it. I would assume that it means they don’t like it.

“Personally” is the operative word here. I’m not saying you don’t know that, or that you intended to say otherwise. But since it not-infrequently ends up being a topic of debate, I feel compelled to point out that there are many ways to measure things like “developed characters,” “good story,” and so on, and that the important metric for measuring RP is whether the players involved enjoy it or not.

10 Likes

This is probably the key reason. People enjoy the setting, but dislike the turn the plot has taken as of late, so they simply ignore it. Sure, it decreases the verisimilitude of the world if people are ignoring major events, but for many it’s worth it if they don’t have to constantly acknowledge a storyline that they hate.

2 Likes

I think people are more likely ignoring major events if their character has a moral compass, but is suddenly going along with reasonless, pointless, horrific acts.

I mean for me, going along with Sylvanas on any of the characters I RP would be completely ignoring world events.

I’d question why Sylvanas would inevitably notice these gatherings happening; it’s not like she has an oracle on hand. People have been holding anti-government meetings under the noses of their dictatorial rulers since their have been governments to hold meetings against.

5 Likes

Canon is not field artillery.

Headcanon

1 Like

Nothing should be enforced. “Enforced”? Seriously? It’s roleplay, you’re not in a position to enforce anything. I have a serious issue with that line of reasoning.

2 Likes

If this was the case she would of attacked the Class Halls, as I am certain they are still active post Legion.

2 Likes

There are members of the Argent Crusade controlling a portal in Orgrimmar.

Does this make zero sense to anyone else?

1 Like

My thought is leave strangers alone and don’t try to force fanon on their business.

9 Likes

Oh, Christ.

1 Like

Now I want to have a Deathguard/Dark Ranger assassin or a SI:7 agent to rp spying on these meetings.

All faction neutral events should include this as a periphery RP premise.

2 Likes

:upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face: