[A-RP]✬ The Shanari ✬ - Kaldorei RP

I literally cannot wait for Battle for Azeroth,
*cough...cough* "Teldrassil burns down to the ground"
Hehehe....
We're progressing through our Shan'dora trials and beginning to get involved with the upcoming events of the Celestial Accord!

If you're looking to join Moon Guard's premier Kaldorei cult, look no further!
This is a great guild! Due to the timezone difference (soon to be reduced!), I haven't been able to participate in-game a lot, but there is plenty of Discord RP, which add another layer of immersion and allows people to catch up.
A handful of our Ishna'surfal ranked up to Shan'surfal tonight! Things are really starting to heat up here at Shanari Co.
I love how awesome this guild is and how driven it is to the NE RP scene!
After a brief and extended hiatus, the Shanari are back and actively recruiting! With BfA on the horizon, we have lots of events and opportunities coming!
And so we're back! We will be working towards rebuilding and recruiting after our hiatus. So, if anyone is considering joining, now's a good time :P

We will also be planning and setting up new events, while also participating in a fair few. There will be much to do in the foreseeable future!
The Shanari is gearing back up to take part in the Night Warrior's Task campaign with the Celestial Coalition!

Additionally, we are starting back up with our own campaign in the coming week that will lead into Battle for Azeroth!
This is a summary of last night's event: A Mother's Embrace! It is also a great time to join us, as we rebuild towards Battle for Azeroth. Join us in the resistance against the marauding Horde.

--

At Shan’Surfal Nelaeth Leafsong’s behest, the Shanari ventured to the border between Ashenvale and Darkshore to retrieve her fallen mother’s Sentinel armor, now in the possession of a notorious orc assassin.

Once they arrived, the night elves found that the Horde had begun a harvesting operation, clearing up the forest and burning the Ancients that resided there. Moreover, their numbers were considerable, to the point where the Kaldorei could not face the enemy in open battle. Likewise, to pass through their lines undetected and find the assassin, Nelaeth would require an effective distraction.

With the young Leafsong prowling through the woods, a target in her mind, the Shanari, led by Quel’kalar Sereneia Wintermoon, set out to devise some manner of ruckus in the Horde encampment. It was then that Tarellia Bluemist and Isaedris Kir-Valras noticed a gap in the outpost, near a lake with several restless water elementals. Not only that, but it seemed as if they were using the area to deposit their supplies, including several explosives.

A plan quickly formed and set in motion. Isaedris and her kindred Highborne Telandras Stormseeker used their combined magic to first ignite the devices and then extinguish the flames with elegant winter winds. Although the fire did not consume the forests further, the impact of the explosion was big enough to cause the land to heave, with the lake nearby flooding the entirety of the area.

Most of the Horde forces was wiped out, surprised by the waves that invaded the camp. Luckily, the Shanari stood protected in high ground. Because of this, whereas the Ancients were previously fighting a desperate, yet futile battle, they now fought back and the remainder of the orc forces now stood in lower numbers. Alas, a final push was needed.

Noticing this, the Shanari reinforced the Ancients, in their battle against Gabor Thundereye, shaman and leader of the operations, and his minions. Although battered by the tides, they provided significant resistance, and the shaman was even capable of summoning a thunderstorm, that hit the trees with profound effect. In the end, however, the Kaldorei and their allies prevailed!

There was no time to celebrate, however. Moments later, Nelaeth emerged from a hut, defiant, but with several bruises. In her wake, a female orc, dressed in a Sentinel regalia. It was Rakar Shadowtusk, responsible for the Shan’Surfal’s mother’s demise. The Shanari quickly joined her member in putting down the assassin, accomplishing the mission they set out to do.

While they had been victorious, there were circumstances for lament and concern. The Ancients in the area were destroyed, although their acorns remained, to be seeded wherever the Starsworn deem fit. In addition, Gabor Thundereye was able to escape with the aid of his elemental magic, but not before dropping a letter from a superior, foreboding further incursions against the Kaldorei.
Friendly Falah'kalar checking in to let all you lurkers out there know that recruitment is very much so open! We would love to have anyone and everyone to check us out online at the link Sereneia posted up above, or you can message any of us in-game(by /who Shanari), or you can message me on Discord at Mousifer#6941.
Here's what the Shanari have been up to lately!
Here in Athalien, we are harbouring some survivors from The Burning of Teldrassil.
We are continuing Shan'Surfal Leafsong's campaign(see above for details).
We have events several nights a week, ranging from casual to combat, and have many more exciting things planned for the coming months!
Hope the pre-patch treats you all well!
Just finished up the first event in our new campaign, The Fate of the Stars, this weekend!

We're pumped to see this campaign push into BfA! If any guilds either Alliance or Horde are looking to craft something up, feel free to let us know!
The Shanari will be continuing on The Fate of the Stars campaign by atoning for the death of a fallen Dark Ranger this Friday.

Additionally, the Shanari will be keeping up with the Celestial Coalition's Blood and Honor campaign!

MOON HYPE
Our campaign, The Fate of the Stars, will reach its conclusion this weekend, as the Shanari face off against the leader of a group of Dark Rangers.

We will continue working together with the rest of the Celestial Coalition through various events, relating to the ongoing Blood and Honor campaign, and some simpler, smaller scale gatherings.

A more recent and important announcement is the creation of a new rank, Fana'surfal, or Allied Ones.
It will be reserved for specialized cases of individuals that are not directly in the Shanari but aid in our endeavors. While it is still only available for Night Elves, this will allow for both Demon Hunters and Death Knights to join on a case by case basis. Fana'surfal will be able to partake in some guild activities, but will not be able to participate in trials and specified training, as they are only allies of the Shanari.

We hope to see some new faces, including those of the fel and undead variety!
Tomorrow is our first anniversary! One year of the Shanari fighting for the Kaldorei.

After the defeat of the Unscathed, a band of Dark Rangers, and the conclusion of our campaign, our next arc will involve series of smaller stories for each member, crafted accordingly to provide character development for both the protagonist and those who assist them!
Happy one year anniversary to us!

Honestly, being a part of this guild has been something that I will truly cherish. I have formed connections with some wonderful people and have been lucky enough to be involved with the captivating storytelling that they have perpetuated.

May we have another amazing year and more after that!

Zin'al Elune
It really doesn't feel like a year has already passed! I guess time really just does fly.

Thanks to the Shanari, I have spent countless nights staying up until 7 in the morning just to avoid missing any RP (timezones are awful like that). But damn, if it isn't worth it.
Thanks to this guild, I've become a lot more invested in roleplaying as a whole, and I'd say that I've gotten to know a lot of people that I would consider friends.

Over the last year, we've had two full campaigns and gotten a batch of recruits through all their trials to be named Shan'surfal, with another well on the way. We have participated in countless RP events, both those hosted by our own, and by other guilds, groups or individuals.

All in all, a fun and great year, I'd say! So, here's to another!
3 Likes

Oh dear Elune, this new layout. As a creature of habit, this will take some getting used to.

1 Like

The forums might be terrible but the guild using it is not! Lovely group of Kaldorei here!

Our present campaign offers the opportunity to focus on an individual character. They are the Shanari Chronicles, reference intended! We already have a few of these, with more to come.

The short story below was written to help me come up with something for Nelaeth. I hope it is a fun read. It involves her faith or lack thereof in Elune.

Illuminated by the moonlight, the green canopies of Athalien offered conflicting thoughts for Nelaeth Leafsong. They reminded her of years in exile, when the promise of life was often slippery and the wilderness ever a challenge for survival. At the same time, the jungles brought back memories of hours and days of tranquility, as solitude became not a liability, but a haven from her tragedy-ridden life.

Indeed, her appointment as Patrol Leader of the Shanari had been both a blessing and a curse. In her early days within the militia, she would often walk the woods by herself, allowing her mind to wander. It was a moment to reflect upon her choices, of what life yet reserved for her, and it never failed to provide some clarity and assurance. This process did not go unnoticed by others, and in hindsight, that the role had been bestowed upon her was a foregone conclusion. At the time, she was surprised to be assigned a leadership position, but that was a matter of exacerbated humility. And that is framing it generously. After all, who better to patrol the wilds than a wanderer?

Her doubts notwithstanding, young Nelaeth put on the mantle and began to carry out her duty. The task to cover the entirety of Athalien was not a banal one. The island was large and filled with danger. Not to mention its mysteries, as the land remained untouched by Kaldorei for thousands of years. There would be times when she led a small band of recruits – all of them refugees hailing from Teldrassil -, as news of minor threats arose and a combined effort was required. However, most of her time was spent patrolling the jungle alone, as it was the case for tonight.

Far to the south, away from the relative security of the Seat of the Silver Sky, the night elf had little room for inward contemplation. With her newly acquired and prized weapon in hand, the Glaive of the Azure Night, the youngster advanced steadily. Around her, there were wisps circling the trees, wild sabers running around, playing with each other, and a few yards in front of her, the famed Cavern of the Goddess.

It was here that the people of Athalien first found the moonstone, a mineral capable of glowing a silvered light in the darkest of places. After that discovery, the entrance to the caverns was displayed each night by a single beam of moonlight, a sign of good fortune from Elune, it was considered. If legend is to be believed, the Mother Moon continues to favor this island.

Nelaeth approached the cave with caution. Although the kaldorei sought comfort in the Goddess, her faith had never been strong. Not as a child, not as a poet and certainly not as an exile. As a warrior, on the other hand, she learned to bask in her glory, even if her devotion remained wavering. Like many of her kin, the Patrol Leader had difficulty in reconciling Elune’s benevolence and power with the unnumbered setbacks suffered by the night elves, Her chosen people. To add to that, she lived on her own for long years, disenfranchised from the worshipping practices. If this was her people’s patronne’s grand domain, it remained to be seen if the young sentry was welcome in its vicinity.

Nonetheless, Leafsong advanced in a steady pace, beckoned first by curiosity. After all, she had never been in this side of the island, and tales of the Caverns were aplenty, even though they had been sealed to not allow strangers within. Still, her interest in exploration was not the strongest motive. A feeling of urgency laid at the back of her of mind, guiding her steps towards the natural structure.

Once she was close enough to be showered in moonlight, the Glaive of Azure Night burned with intensity. A gentle and familiar voice spoke to her. “I feel the unease in your heart, child.” It was the Blademistress Illiara Shara’thel, former owner of the weapon, and whose essence yet lingered in the blade. “Change is difficult, more so when it is inevitable. You have to face your brethren’s legacy, Nelaeth.”

Alone in the wilderness, the night elf responded aloud, instead of using her own thoughts in order to not appear delusional. “The humans tell a tale of how their prince listened to a sword and cursed his soul. How can I believe that you have my best interests in mind, Blademistress?”

The answer did not come readily. No, it took a minute or what amounted to eternity to an anxious person. “At the end of the day, you cannot. However, the glaive has been blessed by your Moon Priestess, dispelling it of any ill will it may have possessed. It is because of this boon that the blade burns, and my presence is heightened. Do you trust Sereneia Wintermoon?”

“With my life.” Nelaeth offered the response with no second thought.

“Then press on and face your destiny, Shanari. There are truths you must bear witness, for better or worse.” Illiara snapped, her voice fading off, but the urgency remained ever present.

The youngster looked upon the Caverns, shut for millennia with but a runic seal to indicate their importance. For a moment, she was at a loss on how to proceed. Only Priestess of Athalien were allowed inside, and to the best of her knowledge, those were long gone. Only the Quel’kalar and perhaps her friend Tarellia Bluemist might have entered without reprisal. The need to return to the Seat of the Silver Sky, where they dwelled, was incompatible with the emergence to push ahead.

But then, the solution emerged, as simple as it was elegant. She placed her hands in the seal and uttered words that were second nature to her by now. “We are Shanari.”

The symbol glowed with a sapphire light and the obstacle to entrance tumbled on the floor. Nelaeth allowed herself a smile and a sense of satisfaction. Of course, members of her order would not be barred. As defenders of the land, with strong ties to the priesthood, it made sense that, on occasion, they were needed in here.

With the impediments removed, the way was clear and the night elf advanced. The woman could feel her heart beating in her chest faster than usual, every initial step a burden. Am I about to be punished by my foolishness or rewarded for my resolve?

The cavern’s walls were made of simple stone, but there were several markings in them. They were not in any language the youngster could read, resembling more primal runes than anything else. In addition to that, there were ceremonial robes scattered, preserved despite the ravages of time. Beside each of them laid a necklace, carrying a small moonstone at the center.

The kaldorei continued her trek, the tunnels spanning hundreds of yards, if not more. Although the stories always mentioned its size, she could not have fathomed it stretched for so long. The idea of losing herself in the caverns crossed her mind more than once, and anticipation for what was to come was joined by fear for her life. Her resolve, firm at the beginning, faltered by the moment.

Nonetheless, she pressed on, as Illiara had urged. At the end of a decorated corridor, Nelaeth came upon a runic circle, with a marble altar at the center. After a brief inspection, the sentry commander nodded. There is but one thing to do. She had discarded her previous caution by now.

Entering the circle, Leafsong sat within and placed her hands upon the altar. As she did it, her surroundings changed at the blink of an eye. No longer was she confined in a cavern, but high upon a mountain, the full moon at the height of its glory and the ocean in the horizon. The night elf knew this place. She had never been here, but they were familiar all the same. They were the Xan’ishnu Mountains, a large natural chain that protected Athalien from external threats and spanned throughout the near entirety of the land.

Moreover, the warrior was not alone. Around her stood several priestesses, clad in elegant robes. One of them spoke up. “Welcome, Nelaeth Leafsong. We have observed your journey below with interest. Yours is a tale of both tragedy and tenacity, and your heart beats with good intentions.” She paused, perhaps waiting for an answer, or maybe for simple dramatic effect. Regardless, Nelaeth was so bewildered that there was no rebuke to be had, and then, the priestess continued. This time, her tone was far less friendly.

“None of that, however, is an excuse for ignorance. Confusion poisons your mind, hindering your potential, opening the way for despair to eventually strike and leave a festering wound.”

The youngster frowned. What is she talking about? “Speak plainly, priestess. I do not know why fate brought me here, so your words are mysterious at best and unintelligible at worst.”

This time, it was the priestess that drew into an upset figure, shaking her head. “That is precisely your problem, Leafsong. Fate did not bring you here, as Sereneia once told you. It was the Goddess.” The woman looked to the moon, unfazed by its shining splendor. On the contrary. “You behave as if Elune owes you for your devotion. Time and time again in your service within the Shanari, you sought to bargain your faith with Mother Moon and was disappointed when it yielded no fruit.”

And then, the scenery changed again. Nelaeth could see from afar one occasion in which she asked Tarellia Bluemist to provide some instruction in the channeling of divine kaldorei magic, near the Seat of the Silver Sky. The frustration of not accomplishing her goal – to succeed in wielding the power of Elune – returned to her mind with renewed strength. Frustration then led to anger.

“So, I am obliged to worship Elune blindly? Is that it? With no rewards, with our people facing ruin at every turn.” Nelaeth spat. The scenario shifted to the original one, in the mountains.

“You are not obliged to do anything. However, you cannot expect to be showered in the Goddess’ boons if your faith is conditioned.” The priestess then walked up to the youngster, placing a hand on her shoulder. “Elune requires your undying devotion. Your unconditional love. Your utmost dedication. She loves you no matter what, but Her greatest gifts are bestowed upon those that truly act in Her name. In both word and deed.”

“And make no mistake. You have already been offered insights and glimpses of what could be.” In her mind’s eye, flashes of key moments in her time with the Shanari appeared. The revelation of her mother’s murderer, a shadowy orc that wore the armor Nelaeth now carried with pride. Then, another image sprung from the corner of her head: justice for her progenitor, as the Patrol Leader delivered the killing blow. Oh, how it felt exhilarating…

After the thrill of victory abandoned her senses, the Shanari shook her head in contempt. “Neither of those can be credited to the Moon Goddess. It was the potion that I drank that night that revealed the culprit, and my combined effort with those of my friends that brought her down.”

“Did any of your friends have a vision of their own? Surely you cannot believe yourself to be unique.” Nelaeth lacked a ready answer. To her knowledge, the others had a conversation with fallen members of the order, just as she had, but none were given a glimpse into the past related to them.

“And would you have prevailed against your foe without your friends? Without Sereneia, Tarellia and the others that accompanied you? Who do you believe that beckons the Moon Priestess and the Sera’kalar to action?” The priestess’ words rang true. Yet, the kaldorei made the gesture to protest, to chip away at the perceived inconsistencies.

However, before she could do so, her speaker interjected. “Make your choice, girl!” The priestess yelled, stunning the young night elf. “You can stray from the path of Elune, and still live to become an exceptional warrior, a defender of your people, but you can never expect Her boons like others do. On the other hand, there is an alternative.” Her hand now squeezed Nelaeth’s shoulder, and her tone softened. “You can accept that the Goddess guides your every action and submit yourself to Her will. In time, you will develop into an extraordinary warrior, a paragon of your kind, and you still won’t be able to expect a reward. However, in the most critical moments of your life, when you least expect it, Her intervention will be felt.”

The patrol commander nodded, absent certainty. The weight of the words still bore down on her mind. “And when will this choice be required of me?”

“Soon enough,” the priestess said. “It could be now, or in a month. You will know when it is upon you.” At that, the woman retreated and rejoined the rest of her companions. “Farewell, Nelaeth. And make sure to give Wintermoon our regards.”

With another blink, the kaldorei found herself in the caverns again, within the runic circle and beside the marble altar. She did not know exactly what had just transpired, and she suspected she would not find out now, with her mind swirling in different emotions. On her feet again, however, Leafsong had another vision.

Mount Hyjal. Her father’s barrow dens. Darkness clouding her senses.

The path forward was uncertain. What sort of decision would she have to make? Still, her first destination was clear as moonlight.

Things are in full swing! We are currently knee-deep in our Shanari Chronicles campaign, giving spotlight to individual members and the storylines they wish to pursue!

Additionally, we will be soon turning our eyes to the stance of the Night Warrior Ritual in a week or so!

As always, the Shanari is recruiting those that wish to further progress the guild and build upon our rich lore!