A recent lawsuit accuses the WoW team of being part of a "frat boy culture" - does that impact the story?

I completely disagree with everything you said there. I’ve been playing WoW for 16 years and have done every quest involving Jaina. Never once have I seen her portrayed this way. Tyrande is a character who’s story arc is being looked at by many through the lens of Teldrassil rather than the growth of her character she has gone through with all of the choices she has made until now. Because of that, its not about her growth that matters but only her being a vessel of vengeance which would have destroyed her, and possibly her people too. The Archon from what I understand had no knowledge that the souls being sent to the maw were empowering the jailor. I’m pretty sure that was knowledge later found out after the fact. And yes, I do believe we are going to see the Archon, as well as many other SL characters again in the future because the story of SL is basically connected to everything.

1 Like

She literally was pro peace in Wrath

Then pro genocide in Cata

Then did an ethnic cleansing in MoP

Then was exiled for being too extremist in Legion

And is now back to being sane because her mom gave her a modicum of affection after a lifetime of what is evidently neglect and blaming her for her father’s death

You are incorrect.

You mean going from the boss leader of the Night Elves, to “hush tyrande” in Cata, to MIA for multiple expansions, to Angry Night Warrior, only to her arbitrarily choose forgiving genoicde?

Incorrect.

Souls = anima, more souls in the Maw = more anima in the Maw

10 Likes

Just to piggyback off of this, because I think you made the point here.

Night Elf fans such as myself were calling this out as sexist going back to Cataclysm and MOP. This is not a new accusation - it’s something that we suggested may have been there for a very long time. Dave Kosak for instance was something of a white whale to me during that time.

Well, recent events have come out now and have revealed that in fact, yes, senior designers in charge of lore perpetuated a culture of sexism in the organization, including Dave Kosak.

7 Likes

I am not incorrect. You said Jaina was portrayed as an “emotionally unstable crazy person.” This is a personal perspective an opinion that does not reflect the truth of the character. Tyrande’s character growth is being ignored by some because they only want her to be a vessel of vengeance for Teldrassil. Souls do equal anima, but the Archon did not know anima harvesting was going on in or for Torghast until later. Don’t twist things to support the narrative you want to be true. Be rational and fair in your criticism.

She tried to commit genocide and then actually committed an ethnic cleansing then decided to walk into her home knowing she’d be tried and sent to die

what part of that says “beacon of emotional stability” to you?

Forgiving genocide with zero reparations isn’t character growth, it’s ahistorical and quite frankly offensive

False, Torghast has always existed as a place of punishment, where they too depend on anima. The land mass of the Maw didn’t exist until Zovaal was free, while Torghast did. So she knew damn well all the souls were going straight to Torghast.

10 Likes

Again, you’re twisting things to support your narrative rather than what is actually true. I did not say the Archon did not know that souls were going straight to Torghast. What I am saying is she did not know they were being used to fuel to jailer. If you’re trying to imply the Archon had full knowledge the jailer was being empowered due to kyrian taking souls there then you need to provide in game proof of that because I certainly do not remember the Archon saying or implying she knew the jailer was gaining power due to her actions the entire time souls were being sent there.

I’m sorry are you under the impression the Archon choosing to condemn all souls in existence to Hell even assuming the Jailer was still chained up is better? Or absolves her?

Because it doesn’t.

9 Likes

It does if you understand Bastion’s lore and the way of the kyrian. I follow the story and don’t inject my own personal feelings into it to create my own narrative about it. I see it for what it is and by doing so have a much better understanding of what is going on. The point I made though was that you were trying to say the Archon had knowledge that the souls being sent there were fueling the jailer the entire time, which I asked you to prove and you have not done. You do realize that if this were true the Archon is complicit in aiding the jailer right? But we know this did not happen, having being a victim of the jailer and also fighting against him.

Jesus Christ duty doesn’t excuse condemning every soul in existence to Hell for a number of years.

Especially given their duty is to bring souls FOR JUDGMENT

If there is no Judge, their duty cannot be fulfilled, and condemning souls to Hell isn’t justified to begin with.

11 Likes

The point is, as I have already stated, is that the Archon did not know that by upholding her duty she was also empowering the jailer at the same time. Had that information been known then yes your criticism would make more sense.

Are you blind? They were depicted as Villains. People have been speculating them to be Raid Bosses for years.

I mean, I am all for this if I had any confidence in the writing team to do it well.

Antagonist does not equal villain. Becoming a raid boss does not equal villain. There have been a few characters that become raid bosses that are not villains. Do you think Norushen is a villain because he was the 3rd boss in SoO?

4 Likes

Summary of C Suite

I want to encourage people to not fall into tribalism and bring politics into this problem with Blizzard.

All that will do is divert focus from, most importantly, those harmed; and secondly, the need for the workplace culture to change. If it doesn’t change, if a deflection to “the other” becomes a distraction - nothing will change.

As strictly mechanical statements about why this becomes a distraction:

Townsend and Bulatao joined the company 3/21.

Dixton joined the company 6/21.

Those dates mean the people before them did keep it all quiet, their employment is after the events from the DFEH plea we know times for.

And seriously, Robert S. Mueller III is a Partner at WilmerHale. Trying to lump a large DC firm as a single thing is…not generally accurate.
(Be kinda funny if someone notices he got an award with “Sylvanus” in the name, and decides there’s a deeper meaning.)

2 Likes

My point is that their hiring was itself a smoking gun.

Hiring someone who defended torture and US human rights abuses (which included SA) is A Choice.

11 Likes

You’re absolutely right.

I think we’re both looking for data to fill in what all the problems are at Blizzard.

It’s the departures that really bother me in hindsight. Now we know Blizzard terminated Afrasiabi related to this mess (though we do not know precisely why). How many more of these people leaving, for instance leaving 3 executive slots to be filled in 3 months, are related?

In short, the other side of the question bothers me.

2 Likes

It’s actually both because they fired Afrasiabi and a few months later hired a bunch of people who did apologetics for war crimes and professionally covered up crimes.

11 Likes

Alex Afrasabi said in 2019 that he’s been writing Sylvanas persoanlly for 10 years and that makes so much sense and why Sylvanas fans have zero hope.

I don’t know how much you can value that claim. No doubt he wrote some of her, but obviously other people were writing her too.

Also think about his Garrosh moment in Stonetalon, he wrote a Garrosh in a way no one else on the Story Team agreed with, but they ran it anyway.

Blizzard is just one big cluster of no communication.

16 Likes