A Proposed Revision 🖊

Idk, I just kinda assumed that since you took the time to address the Kael’thas issue, you’d cover a few other of the trashed lore figures like Zul’jin, Kargath, Gorefiend, and others.

The thing about BC is that it needs to be fundamentally reworked not only to adjust to the refurbished lore from Chronicles, but to address all the massive plot holes in BC such as:

-What was the purpose of the Battle for Mount Hyjal raid?
-What did Gorefiends’ last words “the wheel spins again.” mean?
-What happened to Kargath between the time of the 2nd war up to BC?
-Whatever happened to Fenris Wolfbrother?
-What’s the canon status of Tagar Spinebreaker?

And many more.

Like, your revision for Kael’thas is solid and is a more fitting conclusion for his character arc than going cray-cray for basically no reason and willingly becoming a Legion pawn. But there are a lot of glaring narrative holes in BC that need a bit more than rewrites.

This isn’t criticism of what you’ve done, you did a fine job, I’m just pointing out that the writing in BC was particularly sloppy in comparison to the expansions that followed it.

1 Like

Totally agree. A huge part of this is that Blizzard was more focused on the grinding/end game aspect of things up until Wrath, instead of the narrative elements. We were also just fumbling about in a world that had story which wasn’t written exclusively for our characters.

You’re right about those glaring plot holes from those early expansions, and I’m definitely gunna take another look at BC later tonight. It’s one of those expansions that had such forgettable lore, IMO, so when I was revisiting it for this project, I kinda just never really considered a lot of those smaller stories during the first pass.

Specifically relating to my rewrite, though:

This I’m looping into the Kairoz/Infinite Dragonflight plot.

And specific to my own interpretations:

I always believed this had to do with him dying, again. As a Death Knight, technically he gave up his soul once, so death is literally just spinning the wheel again in his case.

Yeah, I read that part. So I know you’re going to do a look-over of this when you get home, but in your version do we still fight Archimonde and his army or are we staving off the Infinites from interfering while the actual BfH is going on in the background?

Cuz he was talking about his wheel at the start of the fight, referring to how he’s died and come back multiple times throughout the lore, so I’d always assumed that when he says that “the wheel is spins again”, he’s indicating that the cycle would repeat and he’d eventually return yet again.

Edit: Another big plot hole that’s never explained is: What the heck actually was Murmur? It’s clearly not a void-based creature.

2 Likes

The latter; I’ll go back and make it clear.

I believe the Horde was trying to summon a powerful creature to aid them, but they accidentally tapped into the elemental plane of Draenor and summoned, Murmur, and it collapsed Auchindon.

1 Like

So - I clocked it out, and it’s sitting at 109 pages double spaced, and I want to cry just thinking about all the time I could have spent doing other things. :sob:

2 Likes

Nonsense, you did well. I didn’t mean to pressure you into missing out of the many real life things you could’ve been doing, but lets be honest here, 90% of BC definitely needed revision. This was a time when lore was primarily in the background while most of the focus was on the gameplay, resulting in a practically non-existent story that also didn’t make sense and was all about using their lore characters as mere dungeon/raid bosses.

Personally for HFC, I would’ve preferred if the Horde actually managed to cleanse Kargath of the demons blood the same way we cured Grom back in WC3 due to Thralls’ desire to preserve this living relic of Orcish history. Then Kargath would help us defeat Magtheridon before mysteriously disappearing into the wastes of Outland…

But that’s just cuz Im biased towards Kargath. Anyways, good job and enjoy your RL stuff :wink:

1 Like

Definitely an interesting twist to introduce. I wouldn’t have been opposed, by any means, to seeing some of these ‘warlords’ from the Outlands, and their descendants, rise up against Illidan.

Kilrogg’s son is there, we’ve got Kargath, Garrosh, and then obviously Thrall is there too. Lots of potential for stuff.

1 Like

Judging from what can be seen in the OP, Zul’jin’s role is largely the same in this version, with him being the one responsible for Zul’Aman’s raid.

Honestly him going against the Horde makes sense, since the blood elves joined the Horde. Between the blood elves or the Amani, the belves are definitely the more interesting of the two and if that comes at the sacrifice of Zul’jin, then it does.

I think writing a story where Zul’jin is ‘forced to work with the blood elves in the Horde’ would, I dunno, be bad. While I do have a problem with so many old era Horde characters not getting the chance at a redemption story, like Kargath or Kilrogg, Zul’jin is one I don’t think needed one and is actually better off as a villain.
He definitely struck me as the type who would rather die than ever work with the blood elves.

Zul’Aman should’ve just went better, not have not happened.

If I had written WoW, Kilrogg and Kargath would’ve been New Horde heroes, but Zul’jin and Teron Gorefiend would’ve still ended up villains for us to fight. Kael… I guess what OP did, have him be a more tragic hero and die.

Probably would still kill off Tagar. Maybe have him be the Fel Warchief. But Fenris… he’s far more interesting now we know he’s Thrall’s uncle.

EDIT:
Actually, you know what, with the Power of Hindsight, I would’ve made Rend and Maim the Fel Horde Warchiefs, after all fel orcs by the name of Rend and Maim appeared in WCIII, so having them had survived Illidan and went on to lead the Fel Horde would’ve worked fine.

2 Likes

I’ve been a pretty big advocate of Zul’aman being a full zone that we quest in; would have been a great experience, truly.

https://silvertonguewra.tumblr.com/post/183135314778

They did survive though; they’re the ones ruling Blackrock Mountain’s upper spire!

1 Like

I just added a new section for Zul’aman, during the BC expansion.

1 Like

But how would Rend get from outland to Azeroth when all of the legions portals were down? Including the dark portal? According to Etrigg, Main died when the blackrocks took over the upper spires from the Dark Irons.

" They managed to displace the dwarves in the upper portions of the city, but only after the dragons came and only after the death of Maim."

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Eitrigg%27s_Wisdom

I feel like the WC3 rend and maim will be retconned out of existence with reforged. Or at least made into separate characters.

You can tell ZA was a filler raid in TBC’s patch cycle when the main reason we sack the city is because Budd and his band of treasure hunters wanted to. At least the Cata version gives both sides proper motivations to attack the city again.

1 Like

Which I think was a solid improvement; I just wish that they’d of expanded more on Rastakan and Zul and the nature of the relationship between them.

No trolls working with Elves. Ever. We should get a new dungeon to go back in time and kill Zul’jin one more.

1 Like

At this point I think they’ve burned through every single troll patch conceivable; out of luck on that front, I’m gunna bet.

Well, we’re dungeoning in the Troll afterlife in Shadowlands. So thats par for the course.

I got money on there being a small tribe of Dark Trolls still out there and we’re gonna “remove” because they’re squatting on something neat.

3 Likes

Good luck with that haha; I’ll be over here enjoying my nice cup of not playing Shadowlands and sticking my head deeeeeeep in the sand when it comes to the new story.

That said, who knows; maybe they won’t try anything new and just rerelease ZA/ZG for a third time.

I feel opposite. We should’ve join Zul’Jin and free the land from elves. But maybe we will kill Keal’Thas for the third time in Shadowlands if we’re lucky.

1 Like

I really don’t want to kill more Amani. If they ever appear again, I hope they’re not hostile. Sin’dorei ambassadors and Amani speakers should meet for negotiations in Dazar’alor with Zandalari, Darkspear, Revantusk, and Shatterspear intermediaries.

1 Like

The hatreds between these two races go back way further than any other racial division - with Draenei/Eredar as the only exception. Trolls and Elves have, since evolving away from each other, been at war. I can’t imagine a world in which the Elves suddenly forgive and forget the thousands of years of massacres, and neither would the Amani - especially when the Elves came in and steamrolled their religious sites.

Blizzard doesn’t really operate on any sensible narrative schema though, so tomorrow they could end up best friends for all we know. I think though, that the chances of Quel’thalas getting any updates for quests, or new stories around Zul’aman, are pretty thin; they’ve made it an apparent mission to avoid the BC areas.

2 Likes