šŸ¼[A/H Pandaren Event] The Festival of Lights(Updated Post) 6/30/19

Thank you for all the effort put into the planning & running of this event. & thanks also to everyone who showed up, participated & made the spirit of Chi-Ji live.

1 Like

Overall it was a pretty fun and busy event, and my first time trying to host an activity inside a festival. I had a couple thoughts for future festivals, and Iā€™m willing to help coordinate more. I did put out a few last-hour invites to a bunch of friends that I knew and advertised in the discord.

• For combat tournaments I donā€™t mind that we got some people at the last minute. I suppose I would just want to make it a condition that everyone entering is attentive, and knows how roll fighting works. Not to knock on anyone, but as we were getting into the later hours it was getting rough to have to see an rp fight go twice its length because someone wasnā€™t paying attention and needed to be taught roll fighting from scratch. A second thought is also to divide up the first brackets to be Alliance and Horde only. You can have two fights going on concurrently with a moderator/supervisor of each faction. The last rp tournament I went to had like 16 entrants but didnā€™t take as long because they werenā€™t running one fight at a time, but all fights instead.
  • The date auction went smoother than I thought once it was off the ground, but for the people entering I would suggest widening the net when you look. IC dates do not have to be romantic and Iā€™ve had some that were with people ā€˜incompatibleā€™ to mine. Iā€™ve had a couple dates before as a lady character with gay men for example because we were happy to have something like a picnic and some fluff. It can be a fun experience. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s mandatory, but it can be fun to try a platonic date.
  • Might want to have a policy in place that people who are disruptive OOC and IC will be asked to leave.
  • Thereā€™s not really a solution to anything about it but I was really disappointed in the amount of people from Sargeras looking to troll. Iā€™m glad they got bored and left and it could have been worse than it was. Iā€™m not looking for any trolls to try and step up their game, I just want you all to consider that weā€™re just trying to have fun and do our own thing. WoWā€™s like a big sandbox, thereā€™s a lot of other things you can be doing (especially with a new patch out), but choosing to run around and try to kick down other kidā€™s sandcastles isnā€™t really cool. Grow up.

Not sure I had a lot of other thoughts, but I will say if we go thematically with parts of Pandaria and seasons, I realized that maybe summer should have been in Krasarang by the beach, where Mistfall would have been thematically nice for the fall. Kun-Lai definitely should be the destination for the winter festival, either around the Shado-pan Monastery or the Temple of the White Tiger.

Attendance was much higher than anticipated, perhaps due to the amount of people resubscribing. I think overall despite the little snags this event went well. Some things were pretty much being done at the last minute by telephone, which makes me feel like itā€™d be good as we near another festival to have a small group DM with the coordinators (which seemed to be about 4-5 people).

This is off topic but this Sunday night my Pandaren is going to be taking some of her friends to the Wandering Festival that happens in the game. Anyone else is welcome to join us. :smiley:

Thanks again for hosting this event, Taran! This was such fun. :grin: I shouldā€™ve posted a bit sooner. This seemed like such a fun idea, and wound up turning out even better than I expected!

Hmm. Maybe just limit number of participants from the start? Perhaps 16, as in your example? It did seem to last a while (what I was present for anyway). Iā€™m not sure if dividing the factions up would help, though.

Yeah, I assumed from the start they were platonic. :laughing: Maybe just have that specified next time? Something along the lines of: ā€œDates are platonic and just for fun, unless the characters mutually decide differentlyā€?

I think a lot of this has to do with folks inviting off-server characters, especially those that arenā€™t even from RP servers. RP griefing is difficult to report, unfortunately. :slightly_frowning_face:

As for the rest, I think a change of zones each time is a fantastic idea. Iā€™ll keep an eye for folks at the Wandererā€™s Festival! When Iā€™m up around that time, that is.

Well, to put it in perspective we had half of the participants the Gilded Market did. Part of the length of time was the fact that we were running these fights one at a time, and some of them required telephone between Alliance and Horde for rolls. Itā€™ll work a lot better if we run all brackets at once (such as all quarterfinals, etc) and try to match up as many people with their own faction for rolls.

Xiaolenā€™s point on the sparring tournament is about OOC mechanics & makes sense. Perhaps having an IC warmup area (OOC practicing the mechanics) would help.

I have trouble with telling people that they must go against what they are comfortable with IC for a date auction. Using Kunbo as an example, his dates would definitely be Platonic. Those whoā€™ve gone on one from an auction can testify to that. OTOH going for a picnic on the beach with a male Goblin just wouldnā€™t be his cup of tea.

Agree completely with the comments regarding those who come to cause trouble either IC or OOC. Especially troublesome were racist remarks made directly to Kunbo about Pandaren - inside his homeland, inside his hometown, inside his home. As was said above not much can be done to prevent it in advance. Players who refuse to have their characters either leave when asked to IC or moderate their disruptive IC behavior are jerks.

Last time I did the tournament separately on the day before the event and it worked out great just having the finals the day of the event.(Even if only one of them showed.) This time around I only had two people sign up so I figured I would do it the day off and open the spots for a few people, I didnā€™t expect that many to be interested the day of. If I did do it the day before I would pair people up better however I had to get things done asap so I put them in a generator. If we have more people actually sign up in advance then it will be much easier. I am also the type that has a hard time turning anyone away so it does sometime cause extras.

The auction went great this time around in terms of time. I had given it a 1 hour and 30 minute slot and we didnā€™t go over that by too much. I believe the first time we didnā€™t ask anyone what gender they are interested in and everyone still went with it. I thought it was fun and yeah like you said going on a date doesnā€™t mean you are going get married to them someday, or even intimately interact with them. It all depends on the two characters and if it does turn into something more hey more power too them but the idea is just a single date.

It seemed they were friends with the two Pandaren from ā€œPandaren Empire.ā€ the two Pandaren with actual ic profiles I didnā€™t mind but I didnā€™t really want the others, I wanted to say something but I felt that if I did they would turn the troll up to maximum with with so many it would of just killed the event, so I choose the lesser of the two evils and dealt with lighter trolling that is fixed with a /ignore over the dbag trolling of mounting up and spaming toys, etc.

I was going to go with Krasarang but remember you told me Mistfall instead lol
But I do plan on doing a different zone each time. I plan on having an event each season for each Celestial and give them each a unique activity. So this first year is lots of experimenting I suppose, and trying different things and seeing what works out better. Iā€™d like to do a Niuzao event in the Fall, and a Xuen one in the Winter. So I will be opening threads closer to those events to try and get ideas. Then next year, Yuā€™lon will be Spring, and this event will be in the Summer again.

I might bring back the ā€œGuardsā€ like I had in the first event. If they feel anyone is disrespectful they can put them in there place or ask them to leave. If your character doesnā€™t like Pandaren than donā€™t come to a Pandaren event.

1 Like