A bit of Clarity on alts please

I’m returning to WoW after not playing much since Mists. Every Expansion that has dropped since I’ve tried returning just to set it back down and find other things to do with my time. Dragon flight however, seems like that Kick I need to really get back into the swing of things. This time my wife has finally took an interest in WoW and is really wanting to play.

That being said, I’m just trying to gear up alts who are weak enough that deletion seems to be the only fix. I’m completely lost as to the iLvL these things need to be to even do the simplest of content. I’ve talked to chromie, went to old content that scales. I’m just getting my back end handed to me and just not having a good time doing so. As the wife on new characters is just breezing through content as she levels.

Not sure if I’m missing something or if terms may changed (I doubt this). Are there gear vendors for my alts in each zone still? If so where or what are they called. What’s with some lower level gear having a higher iLvL and lower requirement than other gear? Also I can’t afford some of these outrageous prices in the Auction house for gear at this time.

Please help, lol.

Low level gear scaled to your current level drops from quests, mobs, and dungeons. There is not a lot of difference between green and blue stats on a piece of gear at any given level. Gear and mobs underwent a level squish.

Low level gear on the AH is most often bought for its appearance, not its stats. It’s used for transmogs.

Boosted level 6o toons have Ilvl 180 gear for goin for into the Dragon Isles.

2 Likes

They made a huge mess of ilvls with the expansion in old content.

They increased the ilvl of gear rewarded in older content, but that leaves anyone with old gear that didn’t get bumped up at a huge disadvantage.

The easiest solution is going to be heirloom gear if you’ve got it. (And it’s probably worth spending some gold on some pieces if you’ve got it. I’d prioritize weapons.)

You can also turn off Chromie Time and then run content in the highest expansion where you’ll get an overlevel bonus. (The bonus will make the content doable in bad gear.) That means being at least 5 levels over the cap. Even with the gear being capped to the expansion’s natural cap, it will still often be better than old gear you may be sporting.

Level Caps:
Vanilla, BC, and Wrath — 30
Cata and MoP — 35
WoD — 40
Legion — 45
BfA and Shadowlands — 60 (BfA is weird, some stuff will cap at 50, some at 60. It’s a mess.)

2 Likes

I’ve also fallen behind on the WoW content. The last three expansions I didn’t play and only Cataclysm was I around for launch time.

1 Like

If you are on the Dragon Isles I say kill the rares cause they drop blues. If they are too tough for you as is wait for other players since they come along quite often. You can even pin the rare and announce it in general chat and if no shows up ask for help and say you are low ilvl.

As a warrior that frog rare in the very first area drops blue plate shoulders. Would probably be an upgrade and I see other players kill often enough that if you wait you can tag it and get the drop. But it is not 100% so good luck.

EDIT: I figured I update just in case. I just killed that rare I was talking about with a level 58 Rogue that waited for another player and got the shoulders to drop. They dropped for level 70 so not going to help you if you are not max level.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the help! I was lucky enough to invest in Heirlooms back in the day so that’s the route I’m going to go for now. I’ll also continue to update my findings here for the next week or so in hopes others with the same questions can find answers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

While you can upgrade Heirlooms to scale as high as level 60, be aware that they will have level 60 Shadowlands stats, and not level 60 Dragonflight stats.
Early mobs in Dragonflight aren’t particularly difficulty though.