9.2.5 Odd Reticle Spell Behavior

Tripped over this weird interaction today, looking for more eyes to verify it.

If you alt-cast a reticle spell macro, even if no [mod:alt] condition is coded, it automatically tries to cast it at your target’s location.

/cast Door of Shadows

If you alt-cast the spellbook version, it automatically tries to cast it at the player’s location.

Testing done with Interface > Combat > Auto Self Cast enabled.

Can anyone else duplicate?

3 Likes

So this appears to be happening for all reticle spells.

I can confirm this behavior. From my observations:

• Auto Self Cast needs to be enabled
  • The modifier key is the Self Cast Key (switched from Alt to Ctrl and behaved the same with Ctrl)
  • The key binding can’t include the modifier key already
1 Like

Thanks Gello.

Posted to the Bug Reports forum:

I’M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

A few people I spoke with in-game have blamed my addons. But it wasn’t and isn’t an addon. With everything disabled, the interaction persists. This change is problematic for several macros I use per class. A Demon Hunter is one such class.

An example macro:

/cast [@player,nomod] Sigil of Silence
/cast [mod:alt] Sigil of Silence

The default action is to use [Sigil of Silence] at my location. No reticle will be shown for quick use. If there are enemy NPCs just casting away at a distance, pressing ALT should give me a reticle. This allows precise placement so I can get them all if they happen to be spread out a bit. This was how it worked prior to 9.2.5. However, pressing ALT results in [Sigil of Silence] being used at whatever target I have in melee range. Due to the way the game works, clearing my target won’t work because several are attacking me and one will be auto-targeted with their next attack. This makes it impossible to get a reticle.

I put all my sigils into macro form using the same method so you can see the results in this short clip: https://streamable.com/xc0q9b

Possible workaround that I haven’t tried yet is to use @none which should force the reticle.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt,@none] [@player] Sigil of Silence

Can confirm adding @none to the macro does force the reticle.

Here is what I was using that broke with the 9.2.5 update (now forces cast at target if using Alt modifier):

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt] Sigil of Silence; [nomod, @player] Sigil of Silence

Changing it to this now exhibits the desired behavior (show reticle when using Alt modifier, regardless of target; otherwise cast at self):

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt, @none] Sigil of Silence; [nomod, @player] Sigil of Silence
2 Likes

Just learned this bug works with any @unit including chained logic.

ie. [@mouseover,help,nodead] [] SPELL will cast @mouseover if friendly or target otherwise. Allowing you to automatically drop reticle spells on raid members by mousing over their frames.

It’s been talked about here as a “feature” while several comments and this thread say it’s a bug.

So I can’t quite tell if this is an exploit or not, but if it is, posting about them is forbidden (iirc).

It’s certainly and interesting “feature” if it’s intentional.

We might need Blizzard intervention here before this gets us in trouble.

Is this no longer working? I noticed yesterday it was and today I tried it and nothing.

1 Like

It has since been “fixed”. Comments on wowhead report the same. https://www.wowhead.com/news/automatically-target-enemies-or-friendlies-with-reticle-based-spells-using-327371?page=5#p5385510

Again, prior to 9.2.5, this worked:

/cast [@player,nomod] Sigil of Flame
/cast [mod:alt] Sigil of Flame

@player,nomod = Instantly use sigil at player location.
mod:alt = Show reticle to cast sigil at chosen location.

However, you can’t get a reticle period with modifier keys at all now. At least from my experience and what I have tried.

So this doesn’t give you a reticle:

/cast [@none,mod:alt] Sigil of Flame

And neither does this:

/cast [mod:alt] Sigil of Flame

Yup, Blizz broke it further.

/cast SPELL -- casts @player while holding the self cast modifier key
/cast [mod:SELFCAST] SPELL -- casts @player
/cast [mod:SELFCAST,@cursor] SPELL -- casts @player
/cast [mod:SELFCAST,@none] SPELL -- casts @player

Can confirm that @none doesn’t work. First tripped over this problem a few days ago so apparently it was the “fix” that broke my setup.

Additionally, I can’t find the auto self cast toggle in settings anymore. I guess it was removed.

The weird thing for me is I can get the reticle just fine from the spell book or action bar but having Clique do a cast of healing rain with no modifiers fails.

I’ve heard multiple reports of that but mine is still under Interface > Combat where it belongs.

While not completely relevant to the issue at hand, I have just found that if you have ElvUI, the option is moved out of the game’s basic option UI.

In ElvUI settings, it’s in the ActionBars settings, General tab, Casting (look under the Colors settings).

Set “Self Cast Key” to NONE, unchecked “Check Self Cast”, “Auto Self Cast”, and “Right Click Self Cast” and…

The reticle appears!

1 Like

While not ideal, you can get the regularly functionality back if you specify your macros to use [mod:selfcast] as the [@player] conditional, and [nomod] or [mod:somethingelse] as the [@none] or [@cursor] conditional.

e.g.

#showtooltip
/use [mod:altshift,@player][mod:shift,@cursor]Binding Shot;[mod:altctrl,@player][mod:ctrl,@cursor]Tar Trap;[mod:alt,@player][@cursor]Freezing Trap

Quickest way to restore macro functionality is to set the Self Cast Key to None. That said, doing so kills your ability to force non-macros to self-cast.