9.1.5 Pet Battle Improvements

Upcoming changes to pet battles in patch 9.1.5, as noted from Blizzard in today’s PTR Development Notes:

Pet Battles

• Flawless and family-specific Battle-Training Stones now provide a flat 2,000 experience (was the amount required to gain one level).
  • Fel-Touched Battle-Training Stones now provide a flat 10,000 experience (was the amount required to gain five levels).
  • Battling wild pets with a team of comparable-level pets now provides double experience. Pets on your team are eligible for this bonus if no pet on your team is more than two levels higher than any pet in the wild team.
  • The experience penalty for a pet dying has been reduced to 50% (was 100%). Pets still need to be active for at least one round to be eligible to earn experience from a battle.
  • All pet experience earned in battles is increased by 50%.
    • To compensate, the Pet Battle Bonus Event buff Sign of the Critter has been reduced to 100% (was 200%). The net effect of this is that pet experience gained during the Pet Battle Bonus Event will remain unchanged from current values.
    • Developers’ note: Pet battling is a fun and exciting mini-game, but the current incentives result in esoteric strategies being the only optimal choices. This results in a barrier to entry that discourages players from engaging with this system. We believe this set of changes will widen the range of optimal behavior without nerfing any existing leveling strategies.
3 Likes

It would be nice if they also boosted the rates of stones and other little extras dropping from wild pet battles. Getting a flawless battle stone feels sooo rare.

And they also need to increase the number of spawn points for wild battle pets in Shadowlands. Feels like Mald is the only zone where you can find a few wild pets on a consistent basis this expansion.

1 Like

I’d like to see a new pet dungeon too!

2 Likes

The stones drop more when you beat a higher leveled team than the one you’re using. I’ve gotten a few Flawless when leveling pets in the wild. Coincidently, I’ve gotten atleast 3 in Grizzly Hills when leveling low pet in 1st slot and looking for P/P Eagle pet(forget the name) to use for leveling in Pandaria against Water pets.

1 Like

I been getting stones when you get a trainer and he says boss i found some thing

I’ve never seen this. You mean the dailey trainers? I’ve not ever really noticed if i got any from them. I used to quick level alts with them.

I think he means when you take a covenant trainee out to do quests,certain trainees find something shiny on the ground after you make a kill. One of the things you can find are battle stones for pets.

2 Likes

Man… forget these changes – get rid of pet battle groups.

1 Like