[9.1 Spoilers] Elune's Reveal: The Problem with 'Wait and See'

We won’t know until next summer

2 Likes

Maybe they should explain why these two are mutually exclusive…

And I think Tyrande did choose when she wanted to pop Sylvanas’ head off so why did Elune deny her the choice then? The story cant be consistent for even one patch it seems.
Jesus christ people actually get paid to write this drivel. My god.

I am in the wrong industry.

40 Likes

Thank you so much for this, I was very confused but you laid it all out wonderfully and succinctly!!

2 Likes

This gets a lot easier if you just stop thinking of this as a story and start thinking about it as a toyline advertisement.

1 Like

Still rather confirms the Lowborne Night Elves have been batteries for their gods resurrections the whole time, and druidism and Elune letting them turn on the arcane was tricking them into following a path that ensures they go to the right place.

Mind you this whole Shadowlands narrative is a lot of face palms of ignoring simple solutions until problems grow out of control.

6 Likes

Further proof that subverting expectations and twists don’t automatically equal good storytelling.

In a previous thread, I asked the following question;
Is the World of Warcraft story anti-justice?

This cinematic is yet another example of “The victim mustn’t pursue justice” (if it’s not justice, why bother giving Tyrande those powers in the first place?). Very intriguing that Blizzard keeps coming out with this narrative… very strange indeed…

15 Likes

I’ve said this before and I will say it again and again and again until I die and it’s subsequently written on my tombstone.

Game of Thrones set a bad precedent.

26 Likes

This sort of story telling didn’t start until really after Legion.
What changed after Legion?

I think this subvert expectations, edgelord fixation and contrarianism fixation goes back long before Game of Thrones (as far back as the 1990’s, I say), but I otherwise agree with you.

In regards to Game of Thrones, I think it began in Season 5 with the butchering of the Dorne subplot, omitting Lady Stoneheart and the villain-batting of the Sparrows/Faith of the Seven. From there it built up until it boiled over in Season 8.

A lot changed after Legion, but there were hints of it there with Alleria and Locus-Walker’s Void training quest despite the clear dangers, the “Light and Void are equally blind” angle and the complete hash they made of the naaru character Xe’ra’s story.

2 Likes

I demand better writers to write me as a self-aware NPC…

1 Like

I believe signs of the drought happened before the Arbiter breaks. Just going off the Afterlives Cinematic for Ardenweald and how Denatharius had his stone legion plant hidden anima cells in the other main zones for a while. Collecting that much Anima would’ve taken a LONG time.

Denatharius would’ve wanted to collect as much anima as possible, so turning off the tap early would’ve been counter productive (I am assuming it was Denatharius that launched the attack that shut down the robot). Better wait until you are near cap then do it.

Very well explained. I don’t think most people remembered this much in this detail. I did, but I follow the NE story very closely so your timeline is pretty much what I had already worked out. That said, it does take a bit of Simone Biles type of gymnastics to be able to piece this all together. They spread this out over so much time it’s ridiculous. At the very least they could tie this stuff up in one expansion. It takes them too long to get to the point and it shouldn’t.

5 Likes

The explanation in the more dialogue option with the Stonewright about her time as the Night Warrior. The Night Warrior’s rage doesn’t have an off switch and only ends when the host burns out or somebody else stops them. Basically put if Tyrande kept the power, even if she killed Slyvanas, she would eventually turn on everybody who was not a Night Elf as the lust for vengeance would just keep spiraling outward, and then turn on Night Elves that weren’t on her side enough.

4 Likes

Well yes. And then the night elves would kill Tyrande.
What’s wrong with that for the night elves?

Problem is also in that they do not communicate with us after their cinematics. Because cinematics like this leaves a lot of question.
For example - could Elune actually prevent Teldrassil tragedy or she couldn’t?
Or what is now with Tyrande, does she is bound to this forest now or not?

It would be nice if Blizzard would explain everything that they show, because its sometimes hard to understand what did they show…

2 Likes

Pretty sure Legion was the last expansion the remaining older devs worked on. It’s all the relatively new people now for BfA and Shadowlands.

No point of the whole Night Warrior thing .
Elune deserves to be backstabbed …

1 Like

Take it at surface level, my man.

Elune is a moon goddess. I don’t know why people think that means she’s omnipotent. Why does moon goddess translate into stop burning genocide?

Sure, Elune can do more than just moon-ish things (Night Warrior stuff, kaldorei psychopomp), but like… Clearly, she’s never been able to do more than bestow blessings upon individuals. Her power has never been demonstrated to be of the magnitude of preventing catastrophic events.

People just built her up to hype levels far beyond which she’s ever demonstrated. It’s head-canon gone wild, and I’ll confess, for a time, I bought into the hype. However, common, Western views of gods tend to be shaped by Abrahamic religions, wherein “god” means “nigh-omnipotent”. However, many other religions classify gods as “powerful in their domains, but not all-powerful in every situation”, which definitely seems to be the case for Elune.

It’d be like asking an Olympic heavy-lifter to deadlift a mountain. Sure, the Olympic heavy-lifter would easily out-class any normal person, but some things are just impossible for them to accomplish.

So, a lot of people (not everyone) hear “Goddess” and assume “near-omnipotence”, but that’s not the case, and it’s never been the case. Looking at WoW lore, “Goddess” simply means, “powerful being that is not similar in composition to other powerful beings, such as loa or Wild Gods.” In practice, it just meant Elune was something unique onto herself as of writing.

That’s if they even showed it. Most of the time they tell us. Sometimes, they don’t even manage that.

Still, explanations would be wonderful from time-to-time lol

5 Likes

Wait and see can and does work as a fine story mechanic, the problem is, its been the only trick in the back blizzard has used and we have reached the point, well before SL, where wait and see has turned into we just dont give a crap any more.

Blizzard basically stung us along for to long and we lost interest anymore. You can only go “AH HAH! BUT LOOK HERE !!! what an elaborate ruse we did!” be fore we are already checked out.

3 Likes

Danuser is a proponent of a mystery-box style storytelling, got on board at the time. When there was a lot of old narrative to fall back onto, that did not look to bad. Now we have “from the ground up” expansion, so when the old lore discarded, we can see how this narrative style stands on it’s own.

Why people support him? Well, he does seem like a nice guy, as a person, so I would not be surprised if just a personality that treats other people better than Afrasiabi could be enough to net him a lot of support from the team.

Sadly, a good person is not a profession. Maybe he would be good if focused on internal communication in the team, but as someone who can influence the narrative, he, alongside other nice people, like Golden, Gregory, Copeland, arguably Feasel and Ion if they can affect this area, and likely others - they are nice people but darn they are awful to handle pre-established IP with existing audience.

(no wolder every project Danuser worked on failed):

gl hf

2 Likes