8.3 Freezing (Windows OS Thread)

Update: I reinstalled my videocard drivers and noticed my DX was set to 11. Changed it to 12 and so far its all resolved.

1 Like

Is there a way to change this in WoW’s settings or is this something you have to do in your control panel?

Edit: Found this article. Going to try it out. https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/56554

Set to DX11 legacy here and all Nvidia display driver crashing stopped.

I never understood why every single patch, major or minor insists on resetting all graphics and systems settings to whatever the defaults are.

3 Likes

Same exact problem as some people are saying. Every once in a while the game freezes for ~5 seconds and my memory usage goes up and up. I’ve tried all of the recommendations given in the FAQ article, disabled most addons and reduced graphics to minimum and nothing has helped.

2 Likes

Same situation for myself. Happened twice so far tonight. For some reason the game now changes my Windows color scheme and freezes up completely. Did as most others in this thread, turned off addons, lowered settings, and got a third freeze. Not sure what’s going on.

2 Likes

settings>advanced>graphics API to directx11 legacy fixed it for me

10 Likes

Yeah before I logged off this morning everything was fine and running smooth no issues. Now I download the patch it’s just fps dropping causing freezing. If this was experienced on the ptr why was it not handled then and there before the initial patch release? You guys need to seriously slow down and properly diagnose issues before a official patch release. No one should have to turn their resolution down when they weren’t having issues before. Makes me kind of regret pre ordering Shadowlands because if this happens on a 7gig patch imagine what can happen on a full expansion. Just from a business stand point and the track record you guys are holding it’s not looking good. Please for the sake of all players don’t botch Shadowlands and RUSH IT take your bloody time thanks have a great day

7 Likes

I’m about to try this for some reason my graphics settings were changed to the default when I logged on this that happen to you or was it just me?

1 Like

First and foremost the PTR exists to promote new features and content in the upcoming update. They fix bugs, maybe. That’s how major bugs make it out to the live realms despite being reported on the PTR forums sometimes a month or more before launch.

Experiencing the same thing on a base 13" Macbook Pro 2017 running the latest version of Catalina. :frowning:

2 Likes

Same thing happening for me. I’m playing on a Macbook Pro but NEVER had any issues with freezing and crashing before. Since downloading this patch, game’s been freezing every 5 minutes, sometimes forcing me to hard reset my laptop. It’s just a little annoying.

1 Like

I’ll restate that going into System Settings -> Advanced -> DirectX settings and changing from DirectX 11 to DirectX 11 Legacy fixed the problem for me. I encourage others to try it.

13 Likes

Adding my voice to this. Hard lock up after about 5 minutes of being in-game. Any solutions?..

1 Like

Still experiencing the problem, game is near unplayable, and it definitely not my hardware, game ran beautifully without a hitch on my 2019 MacBook Pro prior to this

3 Likes

Yeah I started having this issue the night before patch 8.3 hit but since it came out, constant lag, freezing, disconnecting, making the game completely unplayable. I even tried to switch the DirectX thing to the 12, 11 and 11 Legacy and didn’t change anything on my end to make the game playable so I’m pretty much stuck in freezing lag limbo.

2 Likes

Same issue here. Happening most often in zuldazar and inside/outside chamber of heart when an area transition occurs. Does not appear to happen in non crowded areas or instances. Not an addon problem as it occurs with them turned off. Memeory usage instantly doubles from around 2gb to over 4g and has even crashed twice. The error says the game ran out of memory. Changing directx settings in game didnt seem to have any effect.

4 Likes

Mac people will probably get better and more detailed feedback in the Mac Technical Support forum.

there are several threads in there about the same issue and the blues are ignoring it wholesale.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. Memory usage jumps around 500mb to 1gb each time i get the stutter.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Memory usage jumps around 500mb to 1gb each time i get the stutter. I have turned off all addons to see if that fixes it. Nope.

2 Likes