8 Million Players

funny because my friend, inside of a month went from having not played since wrath to being around 380 ilvl…
gearing up in modern wow is incredibly easy.
professions are a joke and reputations are insanely easy as well.

6 Likes

As awesome as that would be, I’m not expecting record-worthy amounts of returning players. We’ll see a lot of them, for sure; tons of them are posting on these forums every day. But 8 million is approaching primetime phenomenon levels, and we’re not in that realm anymore.

funny because lets see.
spyro recently got remastered.
sc recently got remastered.
wc3 is getting remastered.
age of empires is still popular and getting remastered.

do i need to go on?

6 Likes

Over 9,000,000

Still are, apparently.

I’m gonna refer you to the post above that mentions:

Gameplay is not the same as graphics, and the following point applies decently to graphics as well. Gameplay from a certain time period is not automatically worse (or better) by virtue of being from that time period. Mega Man X3 has the best gameplay of any platformer/sidescrolling action game I’ve ever played. Newer versions/sequels of that game were not inherently better just because they were newer.

RPG concepts are basically timeless. Chance to hit/crit, HP/Mana, experience to level, questing and killing monsters/bosses to get loot, communicating with other players and forming social bonds, those things don’t get old. They’re core to the gaming experience of a significant portion of gamers. Some like a faster pace (current WoW; Final Fantasy XV; Kingdom Hearts) and some like it slower (Classic WoW; tabletop RPGs; 80-hour+ turn-based JRPGs).

Plus, 14 years sounds like a long time, but we’re still late into the PS2 era. Games like Metal Gear Solid 3, Spider-man 2, Viewtiful Joe (PS2 version), and Star Wars Battlefront came out in 2004. It’s not exactly the dark ages of game design. Every single one of the games I listed (and many, many more) are still a joy to play and include a lot of precursors and innovations to modern systems that are still used in the newest games on the market.

The argument that older = worse has never been valid, and it’s not valid now.

7 Likes

knights of the old republic came out mid 2003 and that game was bloody glorious.

3 Likes

:sparkling_heart:

None of these is an MMO from the early 2000s. I am guessing that is what Aehl is likely referring too.

Remember when Wild Star tried to bring back hardcore mmo gaming style?

2 Likes

Isn’t Wildstar that game where PvP was just a ridiculous cluster-$(*% of ground spam and confusion?

3 Likes

Here’s the thing. Wildstar came out of left field. If I was going to make a hardcore mmo I would choose an established franchise to do so with.

That way I have a ready fan base to draw upon

Classic ended too soon for a majority of the 7 Million and many of the 12 million missed out. A great game will always be a great game. And Classic WoW is one of the Greatest of All Time.

5 Likes

If Classic reaches those sorts of player numbers, then it will be easy for subscription paying Classic players to start making demands on the direction of retail. Perhaps retail can be salvaged by players insisting it return to its Classic roots.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised to see over 12 million players total over all classic servers (OG, BC, Wotlk) and retail combined. For US and EU.

Roughly half of my friends are coming back for classic at this stage so I’d suggest there will be a large number that return. I think blizzard will be surprised at how many ditch retail for classic, which will hopefully change the course of retail development for the better.

1 Like

And no again

The LFD / LFR system is in wide use across MMO’s these days. Dungeon finder and auto port to instances systems have been a staple of game design for a decade.

2 Likes

Someone doesnt read posts.

1 Like

Where’s this notion coming from that Blizzard is going to spin up other previous expansion servers?

1 Like

12 was never hit in classic. 12 was Wrath I think? Classic peaked at like 8, and I doubt we’ll see it get that high again.

Where’s this notion coming from that Blizzard is going to spin up other previous expansion servers?
[/quote]

What good reason is there to NOT create static servers for those beloved expansions? Some herald WotLK to be the best, others enjoyed BC more. The game peaked at 12 million within that time frame for a reason. Because of how great the game truly was in that state.

2 Likes

I bet over 100,000,000 people play. Possibly over a billion once word gets out.

6 Likes