8 Million Players

Hell I think the numbers from RoK for SC: Broodwars is still in top 5 played games

I am guessing most of today’s players will stop playing after a few weeks if that. Having to eat and drink every pull ( of 1 mob) or couple pulls plus no mounts until 40 will make most quit. I’ve played since the original beta test and still do today. The game now feels so unrewarding, everyone gets epics easy one way or another. Pulling an entire dungeon of trash and not wiping is boring as hell. There is plenty of annoying things from classic but man it really made you think about things and play carefully which to myself and many old friends was more fun.

The question is how many people are willing to pay to sub again? You can have 50-100 million players if you go free to play, but that number instantly shrinks with the subscription model.

100k is a successful MMORPG, 1 million would keep WoW’s lights on forever, regardless if it’s Classic or Retail.

2 Months Later

Seriously 
 that necro

typical delusional thinking

So how is retail doing these days, anyway? XD

4 Likes

Very healthy. Retail can drop to 300k players and still be profitable and still develop future expansions.

I’m sure! But you have to admit that statements like “you want to bring customers in, not lose them” is pretty ballsy given how WoW’s populace has tanked in the last few years.

Do I think that Classic will have a population of 8 million? Of course not. That is beyond wildly optimistic.

On the other hand, is it a stupid waste of time to rant against the case that has obviously been made from a financial perspective to implement Classic WoW? Of course it is.

1 Like

To this, I say “No King Rules Forever”. Fortnite is learning that the hard way.

And we’ve been on this forum (And the old Classic forum before the whole thing has been changed), and the narrative is that “Classic is going to kill WoW” when it has always been that Classic is part of all of WoW, not just one or the other.

If retail WoW has a million players now, and Classic brings in another million players back? Then it’s still 2 million WoW players and 2 million subs. Or 300k + 1 million, or whatever number you want to talk about.

The same could have been said when the game first launched in 2004.
Look at how that turned out. 7 million by the time TBC was ready to launch and continued to grow. It was a great game and IS a great game. The hype at launch will be big and I think many will stick around to play a game they REALLY enjoyed.

1 Like

That’s a bitter pill for some to swallow because that’s a bigger number than the present population of all BFA servers.

The game is now in its 14th year, I don’t forsee more than 800,000-1,200,000 players on Classic. I would be excited if it was a resurgence like the original release but there is alot of differences between now and then. Back then most of us ether came from another MMO or Warcraft 3 (my case). Any estimate including mine is just random numbers were making up based in no historical data. You also have to keep in mind there was alot of people who played on Nostalrius and Private Servers that will not play here cause of the cost barrier.

Also those servers were region locked like ours will be.

1 Like

How many subs do you think the game has worldwide? China pays by sub now I do believe.

3 million at best friend, BFA’s a flop
 Legion was not bad, it actually had some good features, even if I did despise the character classes and deluge of daily quests / catch up mechanics
 Some of the PVE was actually fun.

There’s more subs than that worldwide. If you’re just counting EU and NA, that’s probably a bit more than there is.

WoW isn’t particularly popular in Asia in comparison to their MMOs (which are grindier and have more flashy and P2W mechanics), and they don’t hold a candle to LoL. I would think the bulk of them are in NA/EU still. We also have no idea how many we have right now but we were around 4 million when they stopped reporting.

1 Like

Well, they have 194 guilds on the Taiwanese servers that have at least 1 boss down in Mythic Daza’alor according to wowprogress. The population of Taiwan is 23.58 million.

Chinese progress isn’t tracked on wowprogress but the population of mainland China is 1.339 Billion. If mainland China plays roughly the same amount of WoW as Taiwan, you’re looking at roughly 11,000 guilds with a Mythic boss kill in China.

There’s currently 4425 guilds with a Mythic boss kill in EU and 2700 in NA. Of course there’s a possibility that Taiwan is far more interested in WoW than China but I think you get my point. Most of what I read on the sub counts worldwide suggests that China is half of the WoW sub count.

You can’t really 1:1 it, especially since China is a bit of a different beast than Thaiwan. If China is half the sub count, great, but that still doesn’t say how many we have.

Prepare to be suprised then.

According to https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/faq 15.5% of all accounts with a level 120 character have killed Mythic Champion of Light.

We don’t know how many players that are subbed that don’t have a level 120 character and we don’t know how many players in each guild actually get a kill on the boss, or how many players pug it. However, you can do some napkin math and come to a number that will likely be closer to accurate, than one pulled out of thin air.

My estimate based on the math I’ve done for total subs, would be anywhere from 3.5-4.5 million.