8.3 Thread

My pitchforks are out. I knew this would happen.

Imagine if instead of accepting her, they just deny her. Yeah she is a Menethil. Yeah she is part of the family that ruled them when they were alive. But so what? The forsaken maybe want to go their own path instead of getting led again like that. A “Yeah you were the princess when we all were alive, but that kingdom and we are dead. We won’t turn our backs on you but you are not going to lead us.” kind of thing.

Maybe some Forsaken would take to her for guidance. But it wouldn’t have to be the race as a whole.

4 Likes

I’m likely in the minority as far as Forsaken go, but if Calia brings a more nuanced representation of the Forsaken than the cartoon villains they’ve so far been in game, I’m 100% all for it.

How Forsaken were represented in Before the Storm is how I’ve always hoped we’d see them. At their core, they’re undead humans of Lordaeron. Victims of the Scourge, the most horrendous evil in Warcraft History. I never understood how they ALL turned maliciously evil - surely some of them saw the value in their old life, their old ways, or simply saw undeath as a second chance at life, rather than a chance to blight everyone around them.

So, I dunno. I like Calia. I hope she becomes Queen. I’m looking forward to seeing the Forsaken slowly rebrand their image and be represented as… people.

That said, I also hope that she’s not universally accepted or loved. She should never be as popular as Sylvanas was. She can’t fill that near-messianic role. But I have no issue with her coming to rule

11 Likes

I was hyped about mechagnomes until y’all started posting screenshots. Nevermind, vulpera it is.

3 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying but also believe it’s important that the Forsaken don’t immediately lose their identity due to a Calia-shaped band-aid provided by the Alliance.

I have a lot of thoughts on it and it’s too complicated for me to coalesce into a forum post at 9 in the morning. But this is a very good viewpoint to have and it’s interesting, because it brings up the notion of undeath as a second chance - something which is brought up prior to BfA and within it.

I worry that the current writers don’t understand the Forsaken as a whole are a deeply disenfranchised, traumatized people who have met death and now walk in it – and that seeing an effigy of the Light raised into a different kind of undeath, one that doesn’t have the horrific history of murder and suffering and retribution behind it… kind of stings, really. Especially in that it’s a strange redemption in the form of their former oppressor’s sister.

It’s complicated and I don’t know if I trust current teams to kind of delve into that.

2 Likes

I posted this in the other thread but I suppose it’s relevant here too.

Personally I would have liked to find out in the Priest Campaign that Calia was a Forsaken all along, hidden away by an Alonsus who was afraid of what Sylvanas might do were she to find out there was a Forsaken with a better claim to lead the Forsaken than her. Further it would have been great if during the campaign she expressed the desire to help her people, to serve them as her father once did.

What would have been amazing is if Calia slipped away from Alonsus and joined Lillian during the Horde War Campaign, to not only learn more about the Forsaken through Lillian but also help her assist Zelling in adjusting to his new life. What if it was Calia that convinced Baine to rescue Derek?

How great would it have been for the Horde PC to have literally any interaction with Calia before she is shoved into a position of leadership?

None of this ham fisted light zombie nonsense.

7 Likes

So I got on the ptr this morning to try the nzoth invasion in Uldum and it was well… I really hope they didnt roll out everything about the invasions yet. Because its fun and all but it feels like you jhst run in and kill everything you see. I didnt see any world quests but I did see a miniboss

Taalva, I’ve got little to add except to say this is great - and honestly a better solution to the Calia problem than her suddenly just appearing.

I’ve said it before, and I will say it until the lore proves otherwise; the Forsaken under Sylvanas were a cult of personality, not a people. Their story was never about them, it was about her. That situation was the most off-putting aspect about them and effectively barred me from ever investing as a roleplayer. You were either loyal to Sylvanas or you weren’t, that was the metric by which you were evaluated.

The events unfolding as they are can definitely be improved, immensely even, but the end result is something that finally permits Forsaken to exist independent of Sylvanas and her goals while remaining Forsaken.

4 Likes

Definitely, its the reason the Forsaken have been in a corner (narratively speaking) for a long time.

I like that Calia is in game finally, and I like that shes going to have some involvement in the Forsaken. However, as is true woth everything Blizzard I worry they are going to swing the pendulum so far in to other direction it flies into the stratosphere.

2 Likes

Also is anyone else as excited for vulpera as I am? Like “This will probably be my new main.” Excited?

7 Likes

I share your trepidation; I’m worried Blizzard will continue the trend of writing every newly introduced adherent to the Light as a zealot-in-waiting. I really don’t want to see Sylvanas go and then be immediately replaced by someone who controls the Forsaken just the same but with the pretense of benevolence.

I think they are alright. They still need some polish before release that I hope they receive.

Still hoping and praying for snakes though.

Half my friends list has already asked me if I’ll go Horde for a bit because they really want to be tiny sleepy foxes.

Ive said before, and I suppose theres still a chance it will happen, I want to see Calia (and preferably Alonsus as well) as the spiritual backbone of the Forsaken and see a new council of sorts arise to represent all aspects of the Forsaken.

The Horde itself is getting an officially sanctioned council before the Alliance will; anything could happen!

Whats the Alliance?

Oh wait, do you mean the Humans and their band of quirky nonhumans?

2 Likes

Ever since I saw them I wanted Vulpera nd Sethrak as playable races. Though I expected them to be fully flegded new races considering every other allied race has been a variant of other races. (I know Vulpera use a modified Goblin skeleton but I didnt mean that.)

The humans that had their lands despoiled, capital razed, and have been fighting global wars non-stop for the past decade while making it a point to let everyone know the costs accrued are driving the majority into destitution from the beginning?

Yes, that Alliance.

2 Likes

We have two types of humans/orcs/dwarves/gnomes, four types of elves, cows, dogs, bears, and now foxes, but not a single playable reptilian species

The game needs Sethrak.

4 Likes

Heck yes. Right now my warrior, who used to by my dedicated main, has been sitting on the shelf for all of BfA.

As much as I love the Highmountain, Zandalari and Mag’har races being an altruistic little fox without much personal race trama baggage is super appealing.

2 Likes