8.3 Story Discussion (SPOILERS, Y'ALL)

Yeah, yeah, we already have multiple threads dedicated to 8.3 on the front page (or what passes for the front page these days), but they’re focused on 8.3 just in general.

This thread will be for discussing 8.3’s narrative.

So, some the major beats thus far (outside of, you know, N’zoth being free and all) are:

• The Bilgewater goblins oust Gallywix with Gazlowe’s help.
  • The worgen track down and either kill or injure Nathanos, but this looks like it’s going to be a “dream sequence” of some kind.
  • Wrathion needs our help to perform some kind of ritual in Blackwing Descent, and we have to destroy Onyxia and Nefarian’s (animated?) remains.
  • Wrathion is corrupted by N’zoth, but is later somehow un-corrupted as he shows up to help us defeat N’zoth’s husk.
  • At some point we reactivate the Forge of Origination, and rewire the Engine of Nalak’sha to the Chamber of the Heart. The Forge seems to have some kind of “Restoration Protocol”.
  • We might be (inadvertently) saving Azshara, who is being tortured by some Old God mook in the new raid because, uh, reasons?
  • Light mommy Calia is going to be the new Forsaken racial leader.
  • Tyrande has been ~consumed by vengeance~ and refuses to acknowledge the armistice, and has sent out those Sentinels loyal to her to scour Azeroth for Sylvanas.

Reactivating the Forge of Origination is what I’m most interested in, as Wrathion’s journal states the Forge holds the key to defeating the Old Gods once and for all, and hints that there’s more to it than what was once assumed. If we’re going to see a world revamp and/or a level squish, I’m almost positive it will be because of the Forge.

Anyway, what are y’alls thoughts on what we know of 8.3’s story thus far?

2 Likes

Thus far I can say;

Good lord we are finally approaching the singularity. Let it all come crashing in.

1 Like

There really isn’t much (or anything) about 8.3 that excites me, and I’m more than content to keep my sub lapsed for the time being, but I am interested in what these story beats might lead to.

I’m girding myself for disappointment, but my curiosity remains.

1 Like

My hot take on the Nathanos thing (and this totally isn’t because as a Forsaken player, obviously I love his snark and hope he comes back soon): the whole “Kill Nathanos” thing is part of a dream sequence.

Looking at the other steps in that quest, one of them is “Kill Dark Ranger Thyala”. Thyala was killed during the Invasion of Gilneas, back around the time of the Cataclysm: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Dark_Ranger_Thyala

I’m guessing it’s some kind of “defeating the beast within” dream sequence type scenario. There’s also mention of a Forsaken assault on Gilneas, which wouldn’t make much sense in the current world, since the war is over.

1 Like

I am curious where you are getting all this information because I would love to see it. I have been looking forward to the heritage armor (which I am very disappointed in) and the questline with it for ages.

Those are all good points, and looking it over, yeah, it does look like some kind of dream sequence.

Which is kinda… meh. But, hey, maybe we’ll finally find out what’s up with Gilneas.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=295497/8-3-ptr-maps-scenario-steps-new-affix-global-strings

Darn it…

Now I need to max level both a Worgen and a Goblin!

Wrathion stuff looks neat though. Curious to see how Anduin’s husbando’s story goes.

Are… are we saving Azshara? All of the info just says she’s part of the inquisitor raid fight, but not whether or not she’s actually fought & killed.

Does it not seem kind of odd to put major story beats in a heritage armor questline?

1 Like

In general? Yes.

When it comes to Blizzard? Not really, no.

I… suppose it’s better than putting them in a novel no one will read?

The thing I think bugs me is removing Gallywix as a leader, if the scenario plays out as straightforward as the Quest objectives say.

I don’t know, I feel that WoW is just steadily sterilizing/nurturing parts of the setting that added an atmosphere of conflict, which helps flesh the world out, give it a bit of flavor all while trying to make everyone “heroic/good”.

Like, we’re down enough controversial leaders and character types that it’s drifting me away from what gravitated me to the Horde in the first place? Do goblins really need someone “noble” or decent leading them?

Just some initial, unpolished thoughts at the moment.

I…well, ok…:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

You aren’t entirely wrong, but at the same time these heritage armor quests are openly available to anyone with a 110 (120?) member of that race. Very easy to get to.

For the worgen one, it’s something super close to the worgen, it seems, so other characters might not care or even know about it. That’s fine.

The goblin one presents a little weirder situation since they’re deposing their own leader but that’s something everyone’s wanted for a while, since Gallywix sucks.

1 Like

More people read those than you think. I count myself among them.

1 Like

I saw where there are 5 man dungeons for the Goblin and Worgen heritage armor quests… it makes me wonder if it’s something that we will be able to group up with other players for the dungeon part, which allows them to see the story stuff? Maybe?

While I concur that conflict in leadership is good, I think there’s no real need to worry, since Blizzard will make NPCs evil at random to further the plot.

1 Like

Did Gallywix ever present any kind of actual conflict? I only ever remember him groveling and whining and generally just being obnoxious and ineffectual.

Of course because they can’t let NotDanuser actually be harmed, they gotta bait and switch us.

I’m excited about the reveal overall. I’m going to enjoy it.

I’ll be back later.

I’m almost positive they’re paving the way for a Horde-Alliance unification, as BfA has neutered the Alliance’s warmongers and killed or ousted the Horde’s.

With Tyrande being the sole outlier thus far.

I 100% Guarantee its a dream sequence considering the whole things final step is:

Stage 7: Judged by Moonlight
Defeat the Essence of Rage.