8.1 Prot Warrior = OP

Best M+ tank (yeah better than blood) and 2nd best raid tank. They went from zero to hero.

5 Likes

They went from 4/6 or 3/6 (depending on the scenario) to 1/6 or 3/6.

This is a unique, totally unknown quantity. Thank you.

That depends on the fight. Arguably the best, actually, which again depends more on the fight.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call them OP, more competitive than anything else. Prot isn’t far and away better than Blood or Monk for mythic+. But 1 dude is a complete monster at it and a few others are pretty beastly as well.

We weren’t that bad in 8.0.1 either. Just a lot of guess work and planning, which is awful for pushing and raid racing.

5 Likes

I would put us at third best M+ tank because we don’t have any utility stuff like monk or DK. Our utility is just doing tons of aoe which is useful now because of reaping. If anything druid, prot pally, and DH should receive some buffs instead of nerfing prot warrior.

2 Likes

It’s not debatable that in reaping, prot is objectively better than monk, and equal to or better than DK.

2 Likes

yes, but outside of reaping ring, paralyses, and an aoe stun on monks and grips and self sustainability are more useful than shockwave and storm bolt in most cases.

I think war is best on modifiers where you can just pull big and facetank everything. But on stuff like on sanguine/necrotic DK and Monk will outperform with their superior utility and kiting.

3 Likes

What makes you guys say prot is good in reaping?

It does more damage than most dps, utility on tanks is far, far less important now, and it still has stupid survivability, both on reaping waves and on trash in general.

5 Likes

We are in no way OP. We are slightly above if not even with monk and DK.

We also have a high skill cap and steep learning curve. That is to really shine ofcourse.

Oh and how about the fact we do not have self healing that other tanks have allowing them to solo raid bosses?

Finally prot becomes more viable and community perception shifts and already the tears start running

This thread is trash, you described in no way how we are op and used absolutely no evidence to back up this claim. Your simply giving us your opinion.

7 Likes

Dat 112k burst dps. I usually pop last stand and spend most of my rage cycling revenge and IP.

I averaged 18.4k dps in my 12 WM and I’m far from the meme trait setup.

1 Like

This is the type of stuff that makes me want to self immolate.

2 Likes

I strongly disagree with this. Skill floor, sure. Prot is a learning curve, albeit far easier than before 8.1. But cap? Monk or paladin, almost assuredly have a higher amount they can min/max.

I play both a prot warrior and a blood dk. And speaking for myself only, I would say that there is absolutely no M+ in which I think the warrior is the superior tank. My blood dk is, for me, hands down way, way easier to play and way, way easier for a healer to keep healed. Having said those two things, I will now say that for me the prot warrior is much more fun to play. So to sum it up, imho, the blood dk is a far superior tank in most, if not all, instances. But the prot warrior is more fun to play.

5 Likes

Your experience is worthless against numbers. And the numbers say no.

You’re probably much better at DK, which is fine. Warrior undoubtedly requires less healing and takes less damage, though. That’s not really the topic of debate since it’s verifiable with logs. The debate is whether it’s worth losing utility for a sturdier tank with higher damage output. In most cases the answer is yes, in my opinion. In dungeons where warrior loses the advantage of being sturdier (IE, dungeons with a lot of caster pulls like Motherlode) it gets a little closer.

3 Likes

Drez, do you have a blood dk? I ask because if you do, please tell me the name of the M7 or higher in which you think your prot warrior is superior to your blood dk? If pressure were on me to successfully complete a M7+ I would take my blood dk over my prot warrior every time. Because I play both a blood and the prot war I often ask healers which they prefer. I’ve never, literally not one time, had a healer tell me they prefer prot warriors over blood dk. Sometimes they say either is fine with them. But more times than not they say to me that they prefer a blood dk. I don’t know what the “official stats” say. I can only speak of my experience playing as a causal player who runs LFG M7+. I stand by my opinion that for me the blood dk is easily the superior tank for mythics but the prot warrior is more fun to play.

3 Likes

Freehold, UR, and Waycrest hands down. The rest are debatable, those 3 are not.

I have.

I do. I made the little guy in Nighthold.

As far as what’s non debatable. tyrannical Shrine, Waycrest, Underrot, and to an extent Kings Rest. Freehold is amazing for prot, as is Tol Dagor and Siege (although not “super duper superior” compared to dk)

On the other end, Fortified Shrine, tyrannical Motherlode, Fortified Kings Rest, Fortified Tol Dagor, and fortified Waycrest, I’d love a dk on. Specifically, the first three, T-ML, F-KR, and F-TD, I think blood is superior, by a decent margin.

I’m going off the thinking, of what will wipe a tank off the map. And if the tank dies, the group wipes, the key depletes. Just like that.

Honorable mention, I don’t think either is superior in Atal, but I like prot more simply by having Shockwave.

For other affixes, DK is easier to handle on Grev, prot is better for explosive, dk is better for bolstering, prot is better for skittish, prot is better for necrotic, prot is better for raging, teeming depends on the week/dungeon/other affixes.

Interesting! I think when you get your blood DK geared up you might feel differently. But, of course, I could be wrong. Anyways thanks for the reply and I wish you good luck!