8.1 - addons can't parse chat anymore? Prat broken

Hello,

In Prat you used to have the ability to click on a link someone posted into chat. Clicking on the link would open a dialog box to copy the URL to your clipboard. This broke in 8.1, and in the opening few minutes of the Q&A on the 14th, Ion said they purposefully broke the ability for addons to parse chat.

Does anyone know if that’s why Prat can no longer parse URLs out of chat? Does anyone know of any workarounds?

1 Like

I think it was related to community (and by extension guild) chat, not sure about whispers etc.

It’s too early to say if there are going to be “fixes” or workarounds.

1 Like

Found a cut-and-paste of a chat with some blizz dev that said (essentially) Guild chat is now locked in with community chats and because community chats are server persistent and Blizzard doesn’t want a bunch of addon-generated crap being saved on their servers, they’ve cut off access to addons for Guild.

I half-way get that for the community stuff, but Guild is a core channel and they broke that because they decided to treat it as a community channel.

I’m half tempted to stop using guild just have my members sign into a custom channel until (if ever) Blizzard unscrews this FUBAR.

Some fairly basic functions that relied on getting data from guildies is flat broken now for no reason that I can see other than an arbitrary decision to move Guild chat to the communities frame and then nerf what could be done with it based on the fact that it is IN the communities frame.

They should just put it back. There’s no justifiable reason for it being there. It’s not “created” by a GM or a player. It’s a core channel, not substantially different from party or raid other than it’s permanent (for guild members with access).

There’s no reason for the persistent chat information to be saved at Blizzard for Guild Chat.

Apparently this was hot fixed just before christmas (for guild chat).