7500ms + latency in battlegrounds

Normal ping for me is 84ms home and world. Battlegrounds these days send me into the thousands. Chat will be reponsive, home latency will be 100 ish and world latency will be anything from 2000 to 25000ms. Is there an addon that causes lag like this? Is oceanic server just busted? I play on Frostmourne and live in Australia.

If I close WoW while this happens I can still go and stream netflix or youtube… so I don’t think it’s my internet.

Hey there,

So while it may not be intuitive, you can’t really rely on being able to access or use one service over another as proof there is no connection issue.

Every service typically has its own location and that means a unique route between your system and the server.

On top of that different types of data transfers handle connection issues differently.

The data requirements for a game like WoW are small but they have to be fast and precise or you see lag and disconnections in game.

The data requirements for watching netflix or youtube are large but fault tolerant. You can lose data or have high latency with netflix or youtube and not notice an issue as long as your bandwidth can obtain the streaming data faster than it needs to be sent.

That is not to say this is a connection issue just that we cannot rule out a connection issue because other services work.

Given we are not seeing many reports for your geographic location or with the server so far, I’d say it is definitely local to your system, client or connection. So I recommend the following troubleshooting:

If you have any addon managers installed. They are fine programs but they have the tendency to prevent our troubleshooting steps from working. Please uninstall them and leave them off your system until we have solved the problem.

Once that is confirmed, we need to delete the temporary game files to attempt to eliminate any corrupt data that might be affecting the client or characters. Your game will rebuild them when you next login but this will remove all installed addons. Please do not reinstall any addons until we know the issue is resolved: https://battle.net/support/article/7549

Let’s reset the in game user options:

1. Click the blue bnet icon on the bnet app.
  2. Choose settings, then game settings.
  3. Click the reset in game user options button under the correct game listing.
  4. Confirm the changes and close the window.

We will want to run the repair tool on the game client: https://battle.net/support/article/7655

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

Sometimes firewall or routing software/hardware will have some advanced settings to prioritize and manage types of network traffic. Normally that is not an issue but we have seen situations where it can intefere with the delivery of the data for our games/voice chat.

Let’s try turning off these features:

QoS
SIP ALG
RoG (ASUS Routers Only)
Security firewalls (Some ISP provided modems)

Not all devices will have these options and the steps for turning these functions off will be different depending on the make/model/software version of the devices and programs involved. If necessary look at the documentation for your security and routing products to find out how to turn these options off.

In some cases there is a corrupt or misconfigured setting within the router or modem. We cannot say what that might be offhand but the easiest way to resolve these conflicts would be to factory reset the router and/or modem.

You may need to look up your specific model for the steps on how to do this and in some rare cases you may need to have this done by the ISP. Feel free to reach out to them for assistance if necessary.

Now if the issue persists posting some connection data and system data can help the community here assist with troubleshooting. Feel free to include that with your reply if you need additional assistance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.