Horns/Ears No Longer Visible Through Helmets in Patch 9.0.2

According to IcyVeins, Horns/Ears will no longer be visible through helmets in Patch 9.0.2.

Is anyone excited for this change, or feeling just as bummed about it as I am? This could ruin Dark Ranger identity in RP, make it more difficult for Draenei to wear their favorite transmogs, make Tauren appear… gentler?

I was hoping to get hair visible underneath our helmets. Instead, we got this. :confused:

16 Likes

I generally dislike Ear clipping, but I don’t understand why these things aren’t an option, what with the greater emphasis on customization.

Some helms look fine with Horn/Ear/Hair visible. Others look horrendous. Some people might abuse such a feature to “look silly,” but this behavior is already enabled by Blizzard, so there’s no real cost to such a thing anymore.

It would make sense, but so would the option to determine whether our weapons are sheathed on our backs or hips. Or certain allied races (Mag’har Orcs, for example) lacking the extensive customization offered to their parent race, etc.

Overall, even with the newfound emphasis on customization, we still have a long way to go, and Ear Clipping is just one example.

14 Likes

Are draenei just tucking their horns under their helmet or how does that work?

25 Likes

The ears I don’t mind sticking thru helms most of the time.

It’s the bloody eyebrows that drive me bonkers

32 Likes

if this is real, this will just be another point on a long list of us paying to get less. We dont get class sets and now if this is true we wouldnt even get armor tailored to the races?

3 Likes

It’s real. :confused:

1 Like

Oh Geeeez… Seriously??? WOW!

I guess i will just have to continue to use hide helm!

As for those who enjoy having their horns and ears and what not showing through i am feeling pretty sad for you all. Its like peek a boo with what makes your race distinctive. :frowning:

9 Likes

I really wish we had the option to just deal with clipping if we wanted to. For a lot of helmets it’s not a big deal whatsoever.

But when this is done, it makes me not want to use certain appearances at all, ever, on anyone. Some races just look ridiculous with parts of their head missing.

3 Likes

Noooooo! This is horrible! Please revert or give us a toggle option!

12 Likes

I LIKE my ears being visible through my helmet.

Like, I don’t like this change at all for my characters with long ears.

Edit: Like, just look at Noree. He just got fancy new ears and the set looks dumb without the helm. Let’s not and say we didn’t. Not to mention how bad it will look for races like Draenei and Tauren.

I know it’s technically “broke” but this was not an issue I wanted them to fix. Or even THOUGHT about. I’m genuinely shocked it wasn’t intentional all this time.

8 Likes

Wait, what? Hiding a draenei or tauren’s horns in any capacity would be ridiculous…

15 Likes

i really hope this isnt real lmfao. unless they actually make it an option. but to full on remove them without an option… lol wat.

2 Likes

Well, I’m glad that Night Elf eyebrows won’t be clipping through plate, and while I have mixed feelings about horns, it’s a good change. Can’t realistically expect that they go back and edit every single helm piece to add “horn holes” like they did for the Vulpera Heritage helm for their ears…

I havent seen a single blue post about this. Whos to say its going to go live.

If it’s really broken, they should find a way for people to wear helmets without them looking like ridiculous, bald blobheads. If I recall correctly, FFXIV has a solution in having a few preset “hair” pieces that show up beneath a helmet.

Just having some fake hair, even if it were locked to a single style, show up under a helmet - along with ears and the like - would go a long way to making people actually want to use these cosmetics. As it is, a lot of them look cool, but kind of ruin the look of your character.

Ear wholes for all helmets should be a thing.

There are more races with pointy ears or hors than there are the other way in game i believe.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, it’s entirely inconsistent in execution and only seems to affect the female draenei right now. Some helms where horns would make sense poking through have them hidden, when another geometrically identical helm of a different color allows them. Then, helms with their own horns right on top of the the draenei horns still allow them to poke through, displaying an odd intertwined clipping appearance.

And Lightforged Draenei don’t seem to be affected by this at all, either.

What I want to know is where Icy Veins got their information that it was an intentional change to avoid clipping (because it really doesn’t do that at all), and not just some random bug that crept in with the patch.

4 Likes

THIS IS TOO RELATABLE! AAH!

blizz should have given us the option to hide ears though

1 Like

I don’t mind either way.

Quite a few years ago I ran across a Machinima that had a female Draenei that was in a dungeon group where a pair of boots dropped. The Draenei got all excited, and as the others in the group watched proceeded to cut the bottom half of the boots off so they just wrapped around her shins and ankles. The rest of the group remained baffled.

Since that time I have always got a laugh out of any helm I get; I just imagine my NE cutting holes into it so that her ears can stick out.

1 Like

Well that’s a good move if it goes live. I can think of a couple of mogs that aren’t quite as perfect as I would like because my ears or eyebrows are sticking out where they shouldn’t.