60 dungeons make no sense?

I recently came back to wow after not playing since burning crusade. Obviously a lot of stuff is very different compared to when I played this game and today. I got back into the story and caught up on a lot so I was ready for shadowlands. I recently went through all of the new zones on my priest. I’ve done all the sidequests and the campaign available atm. I tried doing the 60 dungeons after I finished all zone side quests and campaign quests and they make literally zero sense to me at all.

Wtf is going on in spire of ascension for example?? Why are the forsworn attacking, when did uther come back?? Also devos is the traitor anongst the paragons? Apparently Devos and the jailer have talked and she’s taken his side? I’m so confused by what’s going on.

Or for example in the ravendreth one why are we attacking chamberlain? Like yeah that makes the most logical sense that we’d do next but there’s litterely nothing leading up to it, how did we get from point A to point B?

Or in the other side…like what the heck does that BFA troll have to do with anything at all??

I don’t care about maldraxxus so I’ll leave them out.

Did I miss out on such a huge quest chain the lead up to this dungeon? I feel like I must have if it’s so critical to the plot line…but at the same time I’ve combed these zones over and have not found any quests that would have lead to such huge story implications.

It feels so disjointed and honestly a little frustrating. Because I’m invested in it I wanna see what’s going on and the dialogue and the build up to such important events (like the spires of acsencsion), but it’s just not there (to my knowledge).

I talked to a friend about it and they told me that they may have released the dungeons regarding future events in the storyline and if that is the case it makes sense why it’s so disjointed and doesn’t make any sense from a player perspective but would they really do that?

Because at that point they’re spoiling their own story in a way and that doesn’t make sense to me? Why would they do that to themselves? Because it kinda ruins the experience IMO as well IF that is the case.

Can anyone who knows where the questline starts lead me the right way? Or could you confirm for me if my friend was correct about releasing dungeons early without the quests leading up to it? Because I truly don’t know which it is, but I want to know. I’d very much appreciate it since I’m out of touch on how Blizzard does things these days.

No, the buildup is the covenant campaigns. They just decided to pace the campaign out over 40 ranks while giving immediate access to their conclusions for some reason.

17 Likes

I’m a little ignorant so please bear with me. Is it possible to get to rank 40 the first week? I read up and got told only rank 3 the first week was possible but if you went super hardcore and grinded would you be able to see all the story quests leading up to these dungeons?

Also if it’s covenant specific does that mean players will only be able to see one storyline that leads up to the dungeons that are out ATM? Unless they switch after they max one out?

You can make multiple characters

yes they have done this in every single xpac

I can’t speak to the others, but I don’t see the issue with the Revendreth one. If you did the normal main questline in that zone, the Chamberlain is quite clearly a Denathrius loyalist, so when you turn against him, you’re making an enemy of the Chamberlain as well.

7 Likes

The dungeons make a lot more sense with their covenant specific questline, but you only are intended to see one of those campaigns so… they exist disjointed from the story they belong to as gear grinding machines basically.

1 Like

Nope. The limit of Rank 6 (as of today’s reset, and thanks to Kat for the correction) is a hard cap. No amount of grinding will change it.

I’m not completely sure of what you’re saying here, but I think I have the gist.

Currently, unless your covenant is specifically affiliated with the dungeon, you won’t see the full storyline. So if you went Night Fae, you won’t see the full storyline for the Necrotic Wake (tied in to the Necrolords covenant), if the quests for that storyline are covenant-specific. And people who went Necrolords might not see the storyline just yet if the quest chain requires Rank 7 to unlock.

It’s kind of a strange system to dole out story bits, but not much stranger than BfA tying things to the war campaign.

2 Likes

its actually 6

2 Likes

And nevermind, I was incorrect. Yes, rank 6.

Hard to imagine. They made sense to me.

The Forsworn are attacking because they’re enemies of the Kyrian. This is pretty clearly outlined in the questline. As well, Uther is shown in the questline as a Forsworn, further shown in the cinematics. He died, went to Bastion, became a Forsworn.

I thought this came up in the questline too. At the very least implied in the cinematic. End of the day, kind of an unimportant detail besides she’s a Forsworn overall.

What leadup? The questline involved the Chamberlain a lot, as well as his takeover of the Accuser’s domain. After the campaign, we just go for him.

He’s a Loa, this was all over BfA. But you can easily just see that in the dungeon journal as well.

Maybe I feel different having read some online stuff? No idea.

1 Like

Wasn’t Necrotic Wake the dungeon in Bastion where Maldraxxus was invading?

I mean, probably. At this point I have no dang idea what’s going on in any of the dungeons, 'cept they do not drop my MM legendary thingers and follow everyone else, because I will lead us off a cliff, literally.

A few of these dungeons you’ll only understand what’s going on if you’re in the covenant related to it.

In the kyrian one you’ve just come back from ferrying a soul from Azeroth to the shadowlands after experiencing his life along with a upcoming aspirant who’ll become your second soul bind (RIP our homie Ben)

As you get to orbios to take Ben to the arbiter the aspirant realizes that no souls are going to their respective afterlives and instead into the maw,

(honestly it’s stupid imo that she freaks out considering…the whole campaign was us going around telling all the covenants that the shadowlands is currently broken)

she’s confused and distraught about it but ultimately chooses to accept her duty of ferrying souls even if they’ll only goto the maw atm. (Which is… you know super counter-productive)

You head back to bastion with the aspirant who tries to complain but is told “it’s our duty fam, just go with it) she is then accepted along with two others to ascend (get those sweet angel wings) but just as she gets her wings devos disguised reveals herself and others and says all of this is horrible and she’ll free us from this burden.

A fight breaks out between forsworn and kyrian with many dying in the process, we clear a few out only to end up fighting uther he does what every boss does “Enough!” And then flys off saying they only need the spires to complete their goals.

You then do the dungeon and kill devos only for the archon to finally accept that maybe devos was right but this wasn’t the way.

Edit: I forgot to add after killing devos she has a soul memory on her which you’ve used previously to look at the past memories of others, in her case it’s Uthers soul memory of how he died and what happened (aka the trailer we all saw a month or two back of uthers soul being split in two)

The paragon who watches the memory with us understands what devos wanted to accomplish and doesn’t exactly blame her but ends up saying that regardless giving uther his wings was not the way to do things.

3 Likes

Remember that if gameplay followed the story, we would have no gameplay.

1 Like

That’s actually covered in a side quest in Revendreth. The Avowed and the Accuser want him dead for defiling their traditions, and to remove a loyalists to Denathrius.

As for the others…alot of them are part of the later story of the covenant campaigns. And it is rather odd, especially since they can actually spoiler story reveals. For example down the road in the Night Fae campaign, I’ll find out that Hakkar’s wildseed was stolen by Mueh’zala and actually get to witness Hakkar’s rebirth. However right now I can drop into the De Other Side and confront the living Hakkar. Thus even if I hadn’t read the campaign on wowhead, I would know Hakkar would make a come back and assume that it would be apart of the Night Fae since I already knew Vol’jin and Bwonsamdi had their own chapters.

3 Likes

There is a side chain that gets unlocked when you are level 60 and have done up to the chain that you ally yourself with the Accuser following the fear hunt. In this chain you help the Accuser undermine Chamberlains efforts and the finale is you going into the dungeon and killing Chamberlain.

This also doesn’t make sense given that the reason we kill Hakkar is get Bwonsamdi’s Mojo back and not because Hakkar is “allied” with Mueh’zala.

Well that’s largely because Mueh’zala didn’t think things through. Mueh’zala helped resurrect Hakkar and believed that he would loyal. And then Hakkar amassed the spirits of his followers, in preparations of making his bid to become the Loa of Blood and Death.

And from my understanding of things Bwonsamdi and Mueh’zala were so focused on each other that they didn’t notice Hakkar’s getting ready to make it a 3 way battle. And then it was prevented because Bwonsamdi wanting that mojo back.