5 Mask Shaw - how much is luck?

Just went up against 5 mask Shaw and I felt impotent. Its a cake walk on my Aff lock because i dont even have to face him to keep my dots fresh…but this is my first go as a melee character in visions. I was unable to burst him down b/c of the vanish mechanic and i was unable to position in a way that i could attack him enough because of the eyes and burned bridge mask.

Edit: Im 456 ilvl combat btw. Dont have the corruptions yet to try Sin.

The ‘uptime’ of me being able to attack him without taking sanity damage was so minute, that my insanity clock just ran out. Though i admittedly took some sanity damage that could have been avoided.

Keep your cooldowns for after the first vanish.
Sin is strong against him because the dots tick while he is vanished.

That said, outlaw should be fine.

Could just be that i need a higher gear level too. I 5 masked on my Aff lock at 454 and it was easy. Not so much as melee. I have the same issues on my 458 Enhance.

I can promise you that it’s not that.

You can stand inside his hitbox and face any direction and still attack him.

It’s like how you can completely avoid the void torrent mechanic on the drag boss by sitting in his hitbox.

1 Like

I did not know either of these things :D…I always use the tree stump to avoid the torrent.

1. Outlaw sucks on the boss fights. You have 0 dots, plus your single target damage is probably one of the top 3 crappiest in the game.

2. Anything beneath 470 ilvl is garbage. I realize that sounds harsh, but when you hang out in the Ravenholdt Discord and see people simming 4 minute Patchwerk for over 100k dps all day, you start to realize just how far along the good players are. And since better items = wayyyy easier runs, you can always just chill in 4mask and get slowly get a few upgrades instead of wasting tickets.

3. You don’t need BiS Corruption to make Sin work. Especially not when you don’t even have gears that are worth corrupting. Also, Sin scales super well with Haste, and if you have good enough research, just breathing and walking in a Vision run gives you a bunch of haste.

4. Force Multiplier is trash lol. I got scammed by that stuff too when I was just getting back into the game, but for Outlaw, Deadly + Versatile Navigation is the only way to go.

5. As you keep gearing up, try to lose any mastery on your person, because Outlaw probably has the #1 most stupid and worthless mastery in the game. Also, try to focus on main hand’s ilvl specifically. Melee classes like rogues and warriors really need good weapon damage.

I think this sets my compass in the right direction. Early on, i was drawn to big crits ftom ‘between the eyes,’ but that is increasingly becoming a poor path of choice. Ill start retooling my gear as i can.

I’m almost 100% sure that even the “gun damage” of Outlaw still scales with your sword’s weapon damage lol. If you just get higher Versatility and higher ilvl in general, your BtE will hit very hard.

On a side note, I forgot to mention in the first post that Blood of the Enemy is the BiS essence for Outlaw, and popping a rank 3 Blood major right before BtE is an especially massive damage gain. If you want to crit big with that gun, BotE rank 3 is a must.

Boe is hard to get now. Been trying to get a pvp osland expedition on my shaman for a few weeks now. Noone seems to run them anymore and i need a carry. I am very bad pvp.

You won’t be able to burst him down as Outlaw before he goes invis unless you’re high item lvl, Acrobatic Strikes lets you attack from pretty far and even facing sideways from him. If you’re surrounded by eyes just move him in a straight line till you’re out of the eyes and continue to attack, he moves quickly so it only takes a second to reposition.

You can use Blade Flurry with the Wits Azerite trait on the eyes, it will not kill them but you’ll get the increased Sinister Strike extra swing chance for a little DPS bump. Make sure you have CDs available when you engage him and you can use potions to make it a little easier.