4 Faction Warcraft

Narratively? Yes.

Game mechanically? No. They can barely keep the 2 faction system working. 4 factions would be a cluster****.

Sorry, but if you’re gonna make a “pragmatism” faction, the Goblins are probably going to go with it.

And I don’t think the Bilgewater Cartel would suddenly support a Steamwheedle goblin as their leader.

They go back to being maintained by hired goblin workers, the way they were for the first 3 expansions?

1 Like

There is a Goblin graphical rework coming so it could be interesting if they add a little more to it and have you choose between Steamwheedle or Bilgewater. Gazlowe Goblins start questing in Durotar. That way, if you play a Goblin, you can choose between 2 factions.

Not if Gazlowe is their leader.

They will, if that Steamwheedle goblin is a better leader than their current egotistical, money-grubbing, tyrant. Which is not very hard to do.

1 Like

But the Steamwheedle Cartel is a neutral faction…

They definitely favor the Horde. They are not True Neutrals. I could easily see them being swayed into full Horde service with a little quest-line behind it.

1 Like

Why would Goblins choose the deaders and blood elves over orcs (a race they’ve had a long standing relationship with)?

1 Like

I don’t get why factions are needed at all. I would dissolve the factions entirely. You want to be a Dwarf RPing in Ogrimmar… You got it. You want to be an Troll hanging out in Stormwind… Bingo.

The factions should only exist for PvP, and even then, I think it would be cool if you can choose which side to fight for every time you queue up.

4 Likes

They should do what ESO ended up doing - make the factions irrelevant except for PvP. You start in your home faction’s zone and do the quest line for it, but then you can travel to the other factions’ starting zones and do those quests, too. Sure, sometimes the dialogue feels out of place - doing Ebonhart Pact questing on my orc and helping the Dark Elves thwart an “orc invasion” was odd - but ultimately, who cares? If you want to strict RP your faction, you don’t have to do those quests. In PvP, you queue with your faction, and that’s the only time it ever matters in ESO. For WoW, keep the factions for PvP, and keep war mode for the people who want faction hostility on at all times, and let active war mode be the trigger to make “enemy” NPCs hostile to you. But if I have war mode off, let me go wherever and quest with whomever. Let me fish in Stormwind and catch pets in Elwynn Forest.

I’ve fought besides half of the Alliance cast, helping them and sacrificing for them.

Me and Anduin were buddies for a short time! Surely he remembers me! He didn’t judge me then, and I doubt he will now!

Let me into Stormwind!

2 Likes

That kind of goes in-line with my idea as well. You can have “factions”, but have them be fluid, not determining much in terms of restricting players in-game.

We can have many smaller factions crop up, some peaceful, some warmongering, and characters we already know joining up with them, if the 2 mega-factions are dissolved, both lore-wise and in-game. That way, we can play with whoever we like, but they can craft storylines in the future that revolve around HvA characters.

Defilers vs. League of Arathor is a perfect example.

You idea is limiting options to players, your argument for it sound like Alliance isn’t appealing and maybe a lore or faction problem.

Yeah dude that’s it. And in WoD everyone just suddenly hated the Horde for exactly that expansion before regaining their love for them just as abruptly right after.

Or you could just grow up and get over a race doing things you don’t like :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

There is nothing invalid about Pyrogar not wanting to be perpetually strapped to a villainous race that Blizz has written into a flat arc for a decade. Flat arc villains who never face comeuppance are boring. The desire for their arc to move somewhere is not childish. Viewing the Forsaken as childish for being emo edgelords who have done nothing but whine about the world refusing to accept them as they compete for the #1 spot on Letterman’s Azeroth’s Top Ten Atrocities list doesn’t make Pyrogar childish or remotely invalid.

1 Like

And the 10 or so towns that they run that are important quest hubs for both factions just suddenly become Horde towns?

Because the Undead don’t allow ridiculous notions like honor get in the way of personal gain?

The Goblins are practically the only ones on board with everything Sylvanas is doing in this xpac because it’s all profitable.

I mean, yeah, it kinda does. Because they’ve been that way from the beginning, but he still chose to play one. It’s not as if he didn’t know what he was getting into.

It was absolutely not unreasonable to hope that one race wouldn’t drag the rest of the Horde down with them into their painfully boring flat villain arc. One that, at WoW’s debut, the Horde had just had a fantastic story delivering them from their own, original, flat villain arc from WC1/2.

Pyrogar is not an idiot for wishing his favorite faction would not regress.

1 Like

Ah, I thought we were just talking about the Forsaken, and not the Horde as a whole, and now I see he’s actually an Orc. Nevermind.

Yeah, it sucks that the Forsaken have undermined the Orcs character development.

1 Like

Nobody likes being complicit in genocide, dude. Not in fiction or real life. I shouldn’t have to explain this to you.

3 Likes

It’s okay, Orcs “grow up” every two expansions, before reverting back to crazed murder-monsters on the odd-numbered ones.

3 Likes

Whereas Forsaken have been crazed murder-monsters the entire time.

6 Likes