3D Card in MacPro DESKTOP (not laptop) video card out of date

Tried launching Classic today and got the following error:

“Your 3D accelerator card is not supported by World of Warcraft. Please install a 3D accelerator card with dual-TMU support.”

I had been led to believe that this “Apple Metal API” issue only applied to MacBOOKS (laptops) which had a built-in GPU which could not be changed, but that if you had a Mac Desktop - with a dedicated and new Video Card - this shouldnt be a problem. I have a Sapphire Radeon 8GB…thought this would be more than adequate, but I get the error.

Is it in fact true that no matter what video card we put in this 2009 MacPro Desktop, it wont run Classic? Please advise!

Hey Lightness,

The best thing to do here would be to check with Apple for a Combo update to the most recent version the device is compatible with. A combo update will contain device drivers required to run games, as well as the updated Metal API (if the device is compatible)

2 Likes

Thanks! A software update seemed to do the trick. Glad to report the Metal API was not keeping us from running the game, was able to get it up and running last night on 2009 Mac Pro, which we thought wasn’t possible.