2 gather and 2 crafting on my new toons. Here is what I am thinking...advice?

So I recently came back to wow after a long 2 year break. I wanted to re-roll my main class as a rogue and have 2 alts, a mage and a paladin.

My mage will be tailoring and enchanting. But I am stuck on my rogue and paladin.

Originally I wanted to copy my set up for WoW Classic in WoW retail, that set up is as follows:

Rogue: Herblism and Skinning
Mage: Enchanting and Tailoring
Paladin: Alchemy and Leather working

Now I know, I know why on earth am I doing alchemy and leather working on a paladin. Well for starters I am not that big of a fan of hunters anymore. I played one in WotLK, WoD, and Legion. I like rogues more and thus decided to roll one. I don’t plan on using the paladin so much and I don’t want to do mining for the up-teen-millionth time on my main.

Now I am thinking long term here and playing off prediction/patterns. After the recent release of classic and the level squish rumor/confirmation in retail - depending on who you ask with later - I am seeing a resurgence in a more “Cata” style of wow from blizzard and moving away from a “MoP” kind of style.

Now I know I will get individuals who are here going to be like: “go play classic” or “profession are useless in retail wow” or “are you a mor-”…etc. etc.

But I am not here to debate I am here to prep for the initial retooling of wow, and if turns out that Blizz don’t do that well fine. You can tell me “i told you so…” but for right now I am here to get some advice.

So just to be clear, here is my profession break down for retail WoW:

Rogue: Herblism and Skinning
Mage: Enchanting and Tailoring
Paladin: Alchemy and Leather working

So if I do this how many BoP am I missing out on with putting Leather working on a paladin?

I like having Skinning/Leatherworking on my Rogue he gets to craft gear for himself early in expansions plus able to craft drums which can sell on the AH for groups who may not have a class that come with a Hero. It is possible to have 6 toons and have all professiona if you dont mind doubling up Crafting professions and have a one toon for Herbalism/Mineing.

if you want both Goblin and Gnomsih for engineering you can go as following if you want all professions:

BS/Engineering
JC/Engineering
Alchemy/Scribe
Tailoring/Chanting
LW/Skinning
Herb/Mine

If you want to match Professions with racials Heres the racials if you want to choose a Race that gives profession perks with a Class heres the list of Profession Perks.

Alliance racials for professions are:

Gnomes +15 engineering
Draenei +5 JC
Worgan +15 skinning
Lightforge Draenei +10 BS

Horde Racials for professions are

Tauren +15 Herb
Belf +10 Chanting
Goblin +15 alchemy
Night borne +15 Scribe
Highmountain Tauren +15 Minieng

Neutral race Profession Perks

Panda’s +15 Cooking (listed this perk just to be through)

The Profession Perks just let you get through patterns quicker.

I prefer Mineing/Herb on a druid since you can gatgher herbs while still in Fly form and easier to get back into fly form even if being attacked IMO.

as for LW/Skinning i Love doing that on my rogue due the Outlaw Spec (used to be called Combat). If you want the Rogue to be Skinner/LW if you dont mind not having the Skinning perk any race will do.

Lightforge Dranei comes with a Mobile Forge, Gnomes have the engineering perk and Dranei Have the JC perk. Personaly currently JC isnt what it used to be so i would definatly go Gnome just for the engienering perk if you go by my list. Where as if you do BS/Enginerring since Lightforge gives a +10 to BS and gives you a Mobile Forge having those 2 racials are better then the gnomes 1.

For Tailoring/Chanting id go with a Class that give you good ranged DPS in the world and allow you to down as many adds as you can. Which IMO with the 2 top classes are Hunter or Boomy.

Lets not forget You can set up those toons garrisons to better accomidate there Professions and the Trade Building has the option to activate the Auctioneer so you would be able to deal with your professions in there Garrisons and if you wanted to sell stuff youd have the Auctioneer.

1 Like

All really good stuff! I skimmed through and I will start reconsidering my options for professions, I’m thinking I might change my main and my gather around in terms of the materials they collect so that way my rogue benefits from the leather working. So here is my new model for both classic and retail:

Rogue: Alchemy and Leather working.
Mage: Enchanting and Tailoring.
Warrior: Skinning and Herblism.

I think this will work much better to my advantage and is a better starting point. I’ve wanted to do this for years but never could get it off the ground do to a lack of experience.

The basic model for my 3 ‘mains’ is as follows:
— Skinning / Leatherworking (main)
— Herbalism / Alchemy
— Mining / Engineering
… all 3 are rouges, just because I like it so.

The reason for that is as follows:

• S/LW for the leather armor that they all use. It is not very useful at later stages, but at the beginning of expac it serves me well. And its fun to train since gathering is so easy - just kill stuff. Don’t have to search for nodes.

• H/AL for the potions. Find it very useful and don’t have the gold to buy it all on AH. So, like leather working - this is something all other alts can use.

• M/EG - for fun. Engineering is fun, and I also wanted to have the Mining gathering to be able to feed to my other alts. And Goblin Gliders for my lowbies.

I have other alts for all the other professions if I need them, most at a level where they can learn the latest recipes - so 111 and above. I don’t see much use for them, though… Tailoring I don’t use other than creating and then disenchanting stuff. And I do not need to play the toon since everybody else feeds it the cloth, and he uses the cloth for making items for disenchant, so…

Blacksmithing - rouges don’t use it other than daggers, and BS daggers are really bad in BfA. Same with Jewelcrafting and Inscription. So I don’t play these guys at all.

Have 2 alts sitting in the garrison making bags for sale…

1 Like

This is really good man! Thank you very much! :grin:

I’ve tried having my gathering on one toon and the corresponding crafting on another, a couple of times.
It eventually breaks down as you will tend to enjoy playing one class more than the other.

It’s ok if the gatherer outlevels the crafter but it fails if the crafter outlevels the gatherer.

True, but again it so easy to level gathering professions in retail that you can switch mid way though and not get punished.

As for figuring out my system. I think I have it worked out for both classic and retail really well.

My only concern now is are they still trying to push the whole “one gather and one crafting” set up per toon in retail.

I mean blizz comeone…everyone want to do things there own way. It’s yet another factor that makes classic better then retail.

How do you find retail any different from classic in that regard?

Because in retail 90% recipes - granted keep in mind, I left right before the end of legion and came back for classic - use a BoP item to craft them.

From my knowledge most - if not all - of the epics that are craftable in classic say for leather working are actually useful late game insert devilsaur set here and those items are BoE.

However, this one crafting one gathering trend started back in BC with most of the epics being BoP. I know because inorder to make one for xmog back when I was playing in WoD. I had to drop either my engineering or enchanting - don’t recall which - and grind leather working to 300 to make a pair epic boots that where BoP from BC. Then forgot it afterwords to get back my other prof I had dropped.

Totally worth it for my xmog but omg what a pain in the rear. :frowning:

Ahh… I thought you were referring to your ““one gather and one crafting” set up per toon in retail” as being different from classic and as a reason classic was better.

1 Like

Yep and following a discussion and some realizations I have come up with this as my potential layout for crafters and gathers.

For Classic:
Rogue: Skinny & Herbilism
Mage: Ench & Tailoring
Hunter: Alch & Leather Working
Warrior: BS and Mining.

(As my original post stated that my warrior would be the crafter I have since changed this to a Hunter. As both the hunter and rogue will get benefits for the leather working instead of just the warrior.)

For retail:

Rogue: Skinning and Herbilism
Hunter: Alch & Leather working
(note: this might be reversed depending on which I enjoy playing more…both classes are equals in terms of “mains”. As the main needs to have the crafts to benefit from all the BoP gear.)
Mage: Ench & Tailoring
Warrior: TBD
(note: this simply due to the fact that I am unsure which profs to make my other alts and older toons beyond the big three.)