2-3 month character lockout instead of permadeath so servers dont die

READ THE POST BEFORE YOU START BREATHING HEAVY AND POUNDING YOUR KEYBOARD

I want to preface this by saying this is a countermeasure to servers inevitably dying when players start dying. Sunken cost fallacy is essentially what keeps most players online and servers alive. Take away that and players will ditch the game again leaving 35 active players online in 6 months time. It will also encourage players to ACTUALLY play at level 60 and not be too terrified to attempt anything in fear of permanently losing their character.

This is just a suggestion.

So obviously the most appealing aspect of Hardcore is that you need to play the game as a genuinely interactive experience. You must exercise caution, organization, approach combat and even travelling with some sort of strategy etc etc you already know the deal.

However the main drawback is of course the fear of committing to a character for weeks, months even possibly years and the very real possibility of losing that at any given moment - and of course this adds to the intensity and makes it great.

Hear me out, what if instead of permanently losing your character and all your progress, the character is locked out for a SIGNIFICANT amount of time… maybe 4 - 8 weeks? This would force you to make another character and begin the experience again and if you were really committed to your previous character, you could access again at a later date. This punishment would be severe enough to weed out the non-serious Hardcore players anyway but would be incentive for those to keep playing long term instead of grinding to 60, putting in time and effort and then losing it all to some silly mistake and ditching the game for good (once again). I think this is a serious enough punishment to keep you on edge and alert the entire time youre playing the game (as hardcore is intended to) but dying is not a 100% deterrent to continue playing - and as such keep servers alive.

Again, this is just a suggestion. I’m keen to hear opinions. But as I said, I think this would help servers to sustain long term activity and give players a tiny sliver of peace of mind.

1 Like

No.

Level a new character instead.

13 Likes

Dude, that would completely go against the whole point of a Hardcore server. You know, a ton of people are super hyped about having an entire server economy centered around the hardcore concept. Just imagine, certain items that are super tough to acquire will skyrocket in value because if you die, you lose your character, man.

It’s like Sword Art Online meets WoW, bro! (I mean… Kinda…)

Let’s dive in and have a blast with this “risk vs reward” hardcore idea. xD

9 Likes

The only potentially reasonable compromise would be the ability to move your characters to era servers after death. If you die, you’re no longer HC.

6 Likes

i should implement item drop upon dead in a PVP Hc server, no perma dead.

but lets be honest 99% of the population will join horde and pvp won’t exist. Just in HvsH bgs.

1 Like

Death = Permanent that’s the whole point.

Why make things more complicated to make the scheme worse…

7 Likes

I respect and appreciate this because you raised a valid point that I overlooked. This is definitely an issue that would need to be addressed in advanced. My main concern is that the servers will almost certainly die within a few months, especially when people start losing toons theyve invested so much time into. You remove sunken cost fallacy entirely when youre forced to roll a new toon and thats essentially the only thing that keeps WoW servers alive.

The super elitists will cry and moan about someone suggesting against “permadeath” but will also cry when theres 48 active players in 6 months time.

1 Like

Or you just lose 10 levels each death. idk though, it doesn’t seem to have the same risk factor as permadeath.

Like I said, 2 entire months (maybe even 3) is severe enough. Those that are not serious about hardcore will quit anyway but it will retain at least a portion of the player base. Once the novelty wears off and people lose toons theyve put weeks/months into, the player base will dwindle down to a couple of hundred

1 Like

HC is fun at every moment of play because every moment is important, whether you are doing a simple quest in Duskwood avoiding Stiches and Mor’Ladim, or raiding as a hc 60.

If you play just to reach some random goal (like a geared 60) and rage quit when you die that is fine, but I don’t think the majority of players will do that. Most probably won’t hit 60 but will instead just enjoy leveling and dying multiple times, as each is a fun journey in itself.

5 Likes

negative.

/10char

idk… have you played any HC games? That just seems really annoying. So does losing 10 levels.

I’m not a big HC WoW player, so take that with a grain of salt, as I have no plans to play HC WoW as my main game. I’ve played D2/D2 LoD and D2r Hardcore though, quite a lot. The idea that things are ephemeral and that your character is gone if it dies is pretty good, imo.

It’s hard for me to imagine who these types of changes to that would appeal to.

No just level a new character.

This is Hardcore and it’s the reason why people call it Hardcore.

When your character dies there’s no playing it again and you lose it all.

7 Likes

wow
ok

ouch
That would concern me if I was a big fan of hardcore format play.
In other games I’ve played that have the hardcore option it is just one life. It’s not for every one and I can see it getting intense that a break from it may be necessary.

That’s okay.
Doesn’t mean the ruleset is dead but maybe the FOMO will die down and you’ll be left with a really supportive yet smaller community. That doesn’t seem so bad.

Sorry but I don’t agree that your proposal is a good idea in the long run.
But I hope that the ruleset sticks around and adds to the variety of game modes available.

This doesn’t make any sense to me.

I understand people not wanting all the restrictions that the add on has but I don’t get advocating to get rid of what is quite literally the basis of the challenge itself.

Hardcore at is most basic level is death=delete.

2 Likes

I been saying this. The server will die pretty quick because most people simply are not going to just reroll instantly if they lose a toon they’ve got hundreds or a thousand+ hours on AT level 60 with raid gear etc esp if it’s something stupid like DC on a flight path and you fall and die.

Personally, I’ll get a toon to 60 and when I die that’s it I’m done till the next season.

People say they’re gonna “go agane” but the majority of those ppl die before lvl 20-30 and it’s fun for them to just keep rerolling new classes and getting random world drops and doing deadmines over and over.

The go agane meme is easy when you die a bunch early on. Wait till you’re 60 in AQ and die to a ddos. Completely different world

1 Like

How about no. Hardcore is death = delete. Nothing else.

1 Like

Accept Death.

Embrace it.

1 Like

indeed, its unavoidable and we all have to do it eventually

For the love of god, stop giving them the idea that their modern creative input is desired on Classic concepts.