Developer Insight: Universal Upgrade System Improvements for Dragonflight Season 3

Developer Insight: Universal Upgrade System Improvements for Dragonflight Season 3

Dragonflight is an expansion that has introduced many changes to World of Warcraft, and one of the largest of those changes is the introduction of the new universal upgrade system in Embers of Neltharion. We’re seeing it have a healthy effect on the game, but there’s still room for improvement. In this Developer Insight article, we take you a little deeper into what’s new in Guardians of the Dream and Dragonflight Season 3.

View Full Article

11 Likes

This is great.

These are all good. +1 to all of it.

Folks will nit about the weekly cap, but I think the limit it healthy.

I really liked this system. It kept players in content that was meaningful for them, at a variety of difficulties, but also provided a wide range of sources.

Good improvements.

1 Like

These seem like good changes, overall.

Very nice.

when you guys gonna address the rate at which gear is attained via m+. was 441ilvl on week 4 of season 2. 1 week before our guild got aotc and 2-3 weeks before our 1st mythic boss kill.

you guys need to tone down the rate at which gear is attained via m+ via a lockout or a lower cap on the ilvl of gear that is attain with a slower upgrade track that matches the speed of your average mythic raid guild. or separate the gearing from m+ and raiding.

oh, “dont do m+ you say”. yea easy to say when you are in a semi hardcore mythic raid guild where your spot will be taken if you are not on top of this joke side content that is m+ to get as much gear as fast as possible. raiders just wanna raid. separate the gear i say.

3 Likes

A convoluted mess of overdesign and way too restrictive ratios.

27 Likes

Some people just aren’t ever happy, this is a great system.

I think the lower weekly cap is a way to adress that. You can’t fairly put a lockout on m+ because there’s too many steps and dungeons. You can’t remove lockout on raid because then the pendulum completely swings the other way.

They painted themselves in a corner and I doubt there’s any way out. Just enjoy the easy gear.

1 Like

6 to 1 is not going to help anyone. High end players won’t need them and low end players won’t have enough to have any meaningful impact.

17 Likes

In the article they talk about unifying PvP and PVE gear for the aspect of upgrades. Now you’re asking them to separate the gear within the PVE section only so raiders aren’t “forced” to run M+ for gearing? Sounds counterproductive to their idealogy of simplifying systems.

2 Likes

Low end players can do LFR and get 2 wyrm crests a week. Low end players also don’t need a super easy way to gain HEROIC raid gear.

They keep asking for a super long convoluted way to gain that gear but when they get one, they complain it’s too slow.

Par for the course.

4 Likes

This isn’t needed. Ilvl =/= performance.

Normal raid trinkets/weps out perform max level m+ vault weps/trinkets regularly this whole expansion

1 Like

i agree. i think the easy way out, or probably only way out would be to have separate gearing paths.

m0 will be the ilvl cap on the gear to be used as a raid stepping stone. just like it always was. but then for keys you will continue to get gear just as it is now and the ilvl will cap out just as it can now but only within m+. upon entering a raid it will scale down to m0 base ilvl.

i feel like this would be the only option to not force constant key farming on “raiders” that dont want to do m+. and for the raiders that do want to do m+ they can and will have an inflated ilvl m+ set just for that.

1 Like

So a one way scale… not sure about that, as a lot raiders that do love m+, are using m+ to progress through raid faster.

subjective. there are many trinkets and weapons for many classes that are attained from m+. it is probably 50/50.

cop out. if you are a good player with a 415 ilvl and are in a group with the same type of good player with 440 ilvl the 440 will destroy 100 times out of 100.

4 Likes

no it will be vice versa. if you are 449 full raid geared it will scale down within m+. this will prevent forced raiding on m+ players as well.

Thanks for returning some bag space by turning them into currency!

5 Likes

Like the bag space,the rest is questionable :thinking:

3 Likes

I think anyone playing flex roles in raid or m+ would hate this.

2 Likes

It’s pearl clutching. Maybe people are farming for Bile Crawg Tusks and Forgestorm and there’s limited play for vault maxed Spoils of Neltharus but other than that no not really.

The main thing a M raider is getting out of M+ is stamina.