Back up your addons BEFORE launching the game!

My entire WTF folder erased itself, but I had made a copy just before launching the game; I logged in and all my TRP3 profiles were erased. The backup just saved me a giant headache of having to re-write EVERYTHING for about 18 characters.

10 Likes

Dang, WTF man…

10 Likes

No addon club represent. Haven’t really used addons since WOTLK lol.

6 Likes

Same, actually!!

3 Likes

That sounds awful. I’m not sure how you can play being able to see the entire screen at once. Heathens, all of you.

13 Likes

Kinda hard to RP without TRP3.

I also dislike the default health bars (I use orbs), and UI… though the default UI is better these days.

I have most of the screen showing.

1 Like

I don’t RP, but I just Googled that addon. Looks like it’d be really annoying having to go back in and set everything back to how it was if you didn’t have that backup.

3 Likes

Which is why I back it up regularly.

Usually every 2 weeks, but always before a major patch.

Hey Melithiria, I roleplay all the time and I’ve never used a RP mod before. May I ask why it’s hard to RP without one?

How…

For one, I assume people without a RP profile aren’t RolePlayers.

Some of my characters have different names, specific info about them that can’t be seen on the model, etc. Tattoos on my Farstrider (like Alleria’s), scarring, perhaps an unusual hair color.

Then this character… I PVE them as a Warlock, but in RP they’re 2 completely separate characters. One of them being a Yu’lon Priestess (I have a completely different outfit for her).

It’d be incredibly frustrating if I had to reiterate that information through a whisper instead of somebody looking at the tooltip. Same goes for my Human from Gilneas; without the TRP it’d be a bit tricky to know they’re from such a place.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. I’ve never heard of anyone RPing different characters on one toon!

As for how, I just… roleplay my character as I play. I’ve picked up a lot of fun interactions with other roleplayers out in the world that way.

It’s temporary. Whenever I get a 2nd Warlock up to 110, I’ll drop having them both on one character.

I haven’t done much open-world RP until recently. Nobody I knew ever did any.

1 Like

I usually backup everything after I do something really tedious and annoying like updating all the chat windows for all my alts so they all use the same colors for the same channels and show the same channels in the correct tab windows x_x

It’s definitely hard to find. I generally try to bust out roleplay on my own when I’m around other characters and see who bites. Haha

1 Like

Good to know. I’ve yet to be hit with a wipe in a while though. Thank goodness.

Also I’m sorry… I don’t roleplay with people long term without add-ons. Some call me elitist in that. I suppose they’d be right. I just don’t prefer it, things can get confusing if people can’t see details or names like they should

2 Likes

I only use 2, details and mogit. Is that close enough to no add-ons?

mogit is everything

1 Like

Didn’t work for me, but fortunately it only affected the addons in my interface folder. The ones for muting annoying sounds and changing hunter gun sounds back to normal still worked fine. And come to think of it, my DBM was out of date (as usual) anyway.

Thank you for this reminder. Years ago, I wrote batch files that back-up (and restore) my saved variables, and I haven’t run the back-up in a while.

I should automate it.

9 Likes

I regularly back up my WTF because of issue like the OP’s.