9.2.7 Auction House is Temporarily Closed

With no notice, you think folks have 291 Legendary Vessels just sitting around. Trade in my cluster is already full of folks BEGGING for them. Also the missives (not likely to come from the same person) and other needful things.

And for many people who pay for this game with AH proceeds, this does amount to real money in a sense. They’ve probably lost deposits (we’ll see what Blizzard does with that) and certainly have lost time on auctions that amount to lost opportunities for profit.

I don’t use AH that way. I just buy. But I know folks who depend on it.

“Critical bug”

3 Likes

This “new patch” had exactly two features. A new comms channel (which I could have set up from my character with little problem so I don’t think that’s the big issue) and the AH changes (which have been an unmitigated failure so far).

I think 8 hours for adding a single (complex) feature and having it utterly fail is worthy of at least some criticism.

It’s almost like the crafters still exist on the servers.

Again. Trade Chat exists.

And you are talking to someone who has exclusively paid for WoW with gold except 1 month (where a friend gifted me time cause I didn’t have the gold/money), since Tokens were added.

If they depend on it but are screwed over by a day of no AH, that’s bad gold management right there. Blizzard is trying to fix a bug that didn’t happen when they tested it, this stuff happens everywhere.

2 Likes

Update 6:45 p.m. PDT

We were able to determine the cause of the issue and create a fix for it.

We don’t yet have an ETA on re-opening the Auction House.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

9 Likes

The AH change is a huge change in the game and even with rigorous testing problems can still pop up when put Infront of millions of players, you’re not losing any game time and if you needed gold that bad trade chat is pretty empty now. And look above, 30 minutes and they are already on it.

1 Like

You get that having the producers of missives and legendaries online at the same time and in a city when you’re trying to put those things together is far less likely to produce results than being able to pull them off AH, right?

Trade chat doesn’t reach the hinterlands. Cities only. These folks who are looking are stuck in the cities until someone with the goods they need also comes to the city and (hopefully) sees their request and isn’t going to gouge them through the roof because AH is unavailable and there’s no effective competition on prices.

Silly excuse for a solution.

I dunno, I’d imagine they’d be livid for not being around.
An easy excuse to remind everyone how many characters they have gold capped? That’s something they would hate to miss out on.

Don’t thank me I have neither.

2 Likes

New World was exactly what I was thinking when I heard about the bug. At least blizz shut it down asap, New World just let it fester for a while before doing even worse economy breaking things lol.

1 Like

Question, I had the bug with just one item for around 400g that uh, I never actually sold but got the money for. Do I need to make a ticket to ensure blizzard takes away the illicit gold or is that something automatically tracked and I won’t have to worry? I don’t want to clog up the ticket queues which I’m sure have already exploded.

I suspect Blizzard would probably handle it themselves more efficiently. It’d likely just muddy the waters if you opened a ticket.

1 Like

I think you missed the part about how the code should have been tested, retested, tested again before being deployed. And if it wasn’t ready it should not have been deployed. I think the only thing thing the poster didn’t write was something I would have done… a stress test to ensure the new system would be deployed and used by everyone at the same time without failing or bugging out.

But then we always have to champion Blizzard don’t we, even then they implement things that have not gone through enough testing to ensure it would work well in a live setting.

2 Likes

I wonder how many folks took advantage of this, and if they have a way of telling who may have made a ton of gold in a few minutes.

1 Like

There’s also the obvious hate train against Blizzard where no matter what happens, if Blizzard isn’t perfect they come screaming. The AH being down for possible 2-4 hours isn’t world ending enough with the rage you see on this post.

2 Likes

What happens to the listings that were active when you closed it?? I really do not understand the timing of this change.

I’d imagine they do. Dupe gold would probably be wiped.

So here’s my question.

I tried to put some stuff up yesterday but got a warning that I’d lose my deposit and my goods would be returned if they didn’t sell.

So I held them.

I had some stuff up on AH already that all got returned this morning.

I took all of that and put it back on AH before this SNAFU happened.

It’s looking like the fix will be in tomorrow’s update, which costs me a day on AH that I paid for with higher deposits.

Are my auctions going to be extended?

If they blow away the AH and return my stuff (again) am I just out the deposits?

I haven’t seen anyone addressing this stuff.

I don’t have a lot, but I’ve got some community members funneling questions through me to find out and I have nothing for them.

1 Like

This has nothing to do with the company being perfect. This has to do with the company deploying enough resources to ensure the systems they implement function properly in a live setting and if they do not, the company shouldn’t provide poorly written posts to their customers. That’s called professionalism.

3 Likes