Release classic sooner, heres how

Level gating. put the cap at lvl 30 and raise it 10 lvls every month/2months while they work on the rest of the game. this way we get classic sooner and they get more subs.

I think it would be cool because people could probably lvl multiple characters during each lvl gate. people that didn’t wanna do that from each faction would probably end up in a certain zone pvping and getting to know everyone on the server.

all the people whod be complaining about lvl gating would be drowned out by the people who were just happy to have classic.

just a random idea I thought of

3 Likes

Interesting idea, but I feel this would take away from the 1-60 experience that was (will be) the heart of Classic. You could be in the middle of a zone at level 30 and need to stop too.

Also, development doesn’t work quite in the way of like working on content from level 1 to 60 in that order. For example there could be a lantern or quest that is being fixed that affects 3 completely separate zones (this is just a random example off the top of my head, I’m not referring to anything specifically!)

43 Likes

Yea it seems like a surefire way to cause people to lose interest in the game. You hit lv40 and are so excited to get your first mount only to realize you have to wait another month to actually be able to use it.

4 Likes

I’m chomping at the bit to dive in here, but I can wait for the full thing to be ready.
Not a bad idea though.

3 Likes

Thank you for frequenting our forum. =)

8 Likes

You’re making a believer out of me. There might be a human behind your blue keyboard after all.

2 Likes

You would still be able to farm gold, you just wouldn’t be able to level.

Honestly, it isn’t a horrible idea, but gating the community from the most basic aspect of the game just for the off chance it can be released earlier would send people in to a frenzy.

thx for the blue response! but idk guys in the demo people had a lot of fun playing around on their 19s and im curious to see what the community would do at each level gate. could be super fun or possibly bad

1 Like

Tell the Classic guys that we’re in metaphysical agony here.

1 Like

Let the gating stay with modern wow please.

Theres a huge difference between waiting weeks of payed time just to continue progress while playing casually and getting to the same point after 24/7ing the game straight in order to be even able to reach that state in time.

The first is like: well, maybe i should cancel my sub until i can progress more.

The second is like: well maybe i should cancel my sub or I lose everything in real life.

I like the second one. I like classic. I like the game done - when its done.

4 Likes

Here’s a thought along these lines:

I don’t necessarily agree with a fully gated release, however, the sooner players get an alpha or beta, the better (presuming it’s generally around the quality of the demo, which was very good, IMO). This is with the understanding that the product would not yet be polished, and that as with all testing, nothing is permanent. Any progress made would be for the sole purpose of testing.

How do I think this would help appease players? Well, aside from getting more feedback overall to improve final release, it also allows a lot of us to do what we’ve been sorely itching to do for months: Actually test which classes we want to main in Classic.

I say this as a Vanilla veteran. I played three classes to 60 in Vanilla (mage, rogue, and warrior), and lowbie alted the rest. That having been said, I still am not entirely sure what class I’m going to spend most of my Classic time on. The demo was a great start on that process, but I’d really love to be able to test 1-20 or so more thoroughly before deciding.

I guess what I’m really itching for isn’t so dissimilar to what the OP is suggesting: A limited and perhaps even level-capped testing period, both to help with bugs and feedback, but also to help players prep for the actual release.

Leveling a character and getting geared-up is a real time commitment, and while folks can go out and watch YouTube guides all day long, it’s not the same as actually fiddling with a character at low levels to determine what feels best for the individual. (Yes, I realize that how a class feels at 20 is different from raiding at 60, but at least it’s a start.)

Anyway, just an additional thought!

I really appreciate all the work that the devs are doing to make this finally happen. This isn’t just serving veteran nostalgia, it’s also about preserving a major piece of gaming history in its near-original state.

P.S.

I’m not trying to start any new terminology trend with using both Classic and Vanilla terms, but I’ve personally found it more natural to use Vanilla to refer to the original game period and Classic to refer to the new version. Makes sense to me!

4 Likes

Classic had many questlines that sent you into several zones to complete, and sometimes back and forth over both continents. Quests for a questline were not all contained within a single zone.

You also had to go to multiple zones to collect dungeon quests. You were not offered all quests when you entered a dungeon.

I wouldn’t care to have to go to empty zones or have quest lines broken because the zone was not on the list to be worked on for a few months.

With super duper generic posts? Come on…

I’m in literal agony.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity what did ythisens ever do specifically

1 Like

Nothing earth shattering, but my point is Bornakk isn’t doing anything that wasn’t already happening. (in response to your statement “bornakk has added more and helped with discussions more in the past couple days than ythisens ever did”)

I run through public spaces naked and shrieking unintelligibly. Only Classic can help.

1 Like

What is this Ythisens vs. Bornakk debate? Enough.

In any event, just seeing a Blue post in here is a good sign. Just knowing this isn’t a completely vacant lot is quite comforting. And it works both ways. If Bornakk is ever feeling a bit down he can make a post here about…pretty much anything and get pages of people heaping praise on him. What great therapy.

3 Likes

Right. Even if the blue text is there only to remind us that Classic is still alive, it is appreciated. But what is to be gained by tearing someone else down? Especially after they have departed…what do you gain other than to look like a tool?

2 Likes

I about died when I saw the blue text. Thank you guys for not abandoning us!

2 Likes