10,000 YEARS will give you such a crick in the neck

I mean, the forest is kind of all encompassing for Night Elves. Home, sacred site, fortress, resource generator, etc. They didn’t even have a centralized capital city (Nighthaven probably being the closest thing), until after WCIII.

Time travel shenanigans. WCIII was the original, unaltered timeline, where the Night Elves fended off the Legion by themselves. Knaak’s canon replaces the old timeline with a slightly altered one, where the Tauren and Earthen (as well as Rhonin, Krasus, and Brox) get in on the action.

(Have I mentioned lately how easy it is for time travel stories to make things unnecessarilly messy?)

8 Likes

Yeah I agree. WotA would’ve been so much better if it was written like a historical piece instead of introducing Time Travels. Night Elves fending off Legion on their own (in any timeline) would’ve been so much better. I just don’t like Broxigar’s impact in particular as it makes WC3 awkward.

8 Likes

And spawns the circular debate: “Tyrande should remember what an Orc is, because Brox was sent to a time before WCIII” vs “Tyrande should not remember what an Orc is, because WCIII was a point in time before Brox had been sent back in time”.

Unnecessarilly messy.

11 Likes

This is exactly why that @ss hat should have just told the story about the Night Elves. Time travel was so unnecessary. Just tell us it’s taking place in the past and we don’t have to waste 50 pages on the set up.

No one does. Everything that happened could have still happened without Brox or Rohin, as it already had. Not to mention that version changed the original story.

11 Likes

They were xenophobic because that was in there inherent nature. Rhonin and Krassus found the pre-sundering Kal’dorei to be just as xenophobic when they encountered them in the past.

Never got the point of broxigar.

5 Likes

If only Blizzard had people on staff to manage the lore for their games…

8 Likes

Uh, yes they were.

Azeroth is not - was not at the time - a peaceful, globalized society with a universal golden rule code applying to the far reaches of every continent.

Are you gonna say the islanders of Andaman and Nicobar were not within their rights to defend their lands from Americans?

3 Likes

Even if they are, they are under the imperialistic notion that every land observes a ruleset that theirs does. As I stated, in the real world, it’s either conquer or be conquered. If a people are not peaceful, you have two choices: leave them the heck alone, or subjugate them.

1 Like

You mean the elves that were murdering them?

Nobody is saying that you don’t have the right to defend your land. I am saying, and I can’t believe I actually have say this, that murder is never a justified starting point.

The Night Elves were wrong. It is wrong to kill people who pose no immediate threat, who don’t know what they’ve done wrong, and without trying to communicate with them. When you do this, what happens next is on you.

I mean, obviously.

Had the Night Elves warned the Orcs, and the Orcs persisted, then hey, attack away.

But that’s not what happened. The Night Elves went straight to the murdering.

4 Likes

I’m sorry but if I survived the end of the world at the hand of Demons and their willing subjects such as Azshara and other currupted elves like the ones from Suramar or the ones that later became Satyrs I just won’t risk it if my Demigod warns me about a strage race with demonic essence in them that is marching through my lands destroying my sacred trees.
It’s not like the elves fought the Burning Legion 10k years ago and never heard from them ever again. They had to constantly fight demons trying to come up with a way to start a second invasion. NE even had the Satyr war. Wardens were also tasked in eliminating remaining demons.
So if they see a herd of orcs smelling like demons they had the right to act the way they did and more so when it was Cenarius who commanded the attack.

12 Likes

First contact between the Night Elves and the Orcs happened before Cenarius got involved.

By the way, did you know there was a small goblin encampment just a bit further into Ashenvale led by Neeloc Greedyfingers, who in addition to selling the orcs some Shredders to harvest lumber faster, were already doing their own logging.

You’d think they’d have been slaughtered some time ago, being smack dab in the middle of Ashenvale with a bunch of Shredders of their own.

1 Like

Those Goblins didn’t have the stench of demons in their blood.

2 Likes

Or, given how Goblins love contracts, they probably -and I know this is a novel concept that will blow everyone’s mind- asked permission.

We know that, as sacred as their forests are, Night Elves can still be negotiated with for lumber. Provided you don’t charge in, gung ho, like you own the place, and start clearcutting the whole thing.

6 Likes

Possibly, but if that was the case, why would the local Furbolgs be harassing the Goblins? Night Elves and Furbolgs have been shown to have a strong relationship, but Neeloc Greedyfingers and his friends were outright being attacked. Were the Night Elves just ignoring this ongoing conflict in the middle of their forest? The Goblins state the Furbolgs had been relatively harmless in the past, so we know they’ve been there for some time at least. The conflict escalated to such that Neeloc wanted the local tribe wiped out, and hired mercenaries (the Warsong) to do so.

So? The Goblins were still logging and cutting down “sacred trees”. If the Goblins not smelling demonic was all the reason the Night Elves needed to leave them alone, then Night Elves must not value those trees as much as we think.

Furbolgs have also been shown going insane at the slightest bit of corruption in their forests, and the Legion was in the area as well.

Night Elves also don’t particularly have issues with Goblins harvesting trees, as the Night Elves allowed the Goblins to keep doing so in Azshara after the Siege of Orgrimmar.

4 Likes

The Night Elves also didn’t own Azshara by the time of siege, so they couldn’t stop them even if they wanted to.

1 Like

The Night Elves didn’t ever say they acknowledged the Goblins claiming Azshara, just the access to get lumber there. And “couldn’t stop them” isn’t a matter of if the Night Elves wanted to, but if Blizzard would want them to.

1 Like

I do not agree that someone has the moral right to murder people with no attempt at diplomacy and who have no idea they are even in your territory.

5 Likes

Still doesn’t change the fact for all intents and purposes by siege the goblin’s owned Azshara, as the night elves abandoned that place for the fear it was cursed.