Welcome! BFA broke the mechanism to override original sounds with custom sounds in a separate “Sound” folder, presumably to combat dataminers. Blizzard intentionally implemented the feature allowing us to do so and was and is not against the Terms of Service because it does not modify or alter actual game files. The method below adheres to this.
Never fear — OldGunSounds is here! ALL CREDIT GOES TO ADD-ON DEVELOPER Nauseous-Tirion EU / dimodious. It only changes your weapon sounds but mutes most gun/bow sounds coming from NPCs or players. The new structure dictates that sounds can only be muted/unmuted/played, so it is achieved by muting default files, then playing the custom files when triggered.
It comes fully equipped with Vanilla rifle, bow, crossbow, and reload sounds, as well as the old Kill Command hunter ability sound and Outlaw rogue’s old Pistol Shot gun sounds. If that is only what you need, do step 1 and check out step 6. For custom sounds, I will walk you through the simple steps necessary on a PC.
- Install http://curseforge.com/wow/addons/oldgunsounds.
- In File Explorer, go to World of Warcraft> retail> Interface> AddOns> OldGunSounds.
- Open a second File Explorer and locate your custom sounds (must be OGG files).
- In OldGunSounds, find the files with the corresponding weapon sounds and rename your old custom files exactly the same text if they are not already. For instance, if you have custom rifle shots, the matching files are blunderbuss weaponfires. You can only customize what is listed, not add spells (except the Kill Command spell; you can add 2 more). Go over the limit of 3 weapon fires or 6 reloads and you will not hear the exceeding files.
- Delete the OldGunSounds files, then copy and paste your matching renamed custom files into the OldGunSounds folder.
- Optional: In the OldGunSounds folder, open the “OldGunSounds” LUA file towards the top with Notepad or something similar. After the first 17 lines, delete any of the add-on’s pre-muted sounds that you want to hear in-game. (Do not delete the } symbol at the end enclosing all the mutes.) Go to http://wow.tools/files to find the ID of other sounds to add to the list; it will mute anything for you.
- Copy the OldGunSounds folder and paste it somewhere. This way you will not lose the customization with a future add-on update.
If you are logged in, restart WoW completely. You may need to re-equip your weapon for this to take effect as well. That is it! Enjoy playing your hunter or rogue again! This was my experience testing and configuring the add-on. I am not an expert on anything. If I got something wrong, or you know of another add-on with similar functions, please let me know. I will answer questions to the best of my ability. I hope this guide was clear and helped, please share, and thank you for reading!